Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Ruh roh!

This would bolt into the back by the USB holder. I may just drill small holes and press the inserts in to see if they hold. I really should reprint that part with proper holes and support, but I'll see if I can get away with this.

Slots in the support are for a thin bead of non-hardening caulk.
Circular indentations are for 20mm diameter velcro circles.

Can't start the print until tonight. My wife is working in the room with my printer right now.

trackballMouseMount.jpg

WhatNow.jpg

What I learned in Fusion 360 was how to import and scale an image to 100% and build from that.
Pretty cool. You can see the image of the underside of my trackball mouse in this image. There is a 35mm long slot in the battery cover and I used that to scale the rest of the image.
mouseMount.jpg

Last edited:
please go for it! Now Im interested :p

Really? OK. What would you do for sanity if you were stuck in long conference calls sometimes over 3 hours in length that only require a reasonable amount of attention to follow along?

Since I finished the button box, I have actually been able to use my rig and I haven't had it out of commission for more than very short periods of time.

Last edited:
This is before left and after right.
I moved the mouse tray forward 30mm. Now it feels like it should :)

I used a 50% fill because this will take abuse and the part feels like a rock!

OldvsNew_6010.jpg

The holes are in the shadows.
I'll actually poke some holes in the back of the Wheelbase USB plug section. Drill them a little and melt a bit of PLA in the holes before putting threaded inserts in place.

The slots are for thin beads of non-hardening window glazing to prevent vibration and keep it from moving, but the weight you put on this with your hand will be almost directly on top of the thick vertical wheelbase member.

MousetrayBase_6008.jpg

Loving Fusion 360!

What you see below is a "Canvas" which is the picture I took of the bottom of the trackball mouse. Around that canvas are a bunch of splines around the perimeter. To the left is a body extruded from the splines.

The cool part is that I can tweak the splines on the right and the body on the left is modified to reflect those changes.

UsingSplines.jpg

I have a new tighter fitting trackball mouse tray printing now also 50% infill.

Poked small holes with an ice pick and then melted larger holes and added threaded inserts to the back of my wheelbase USB plug holder. Because this trackball mouse support is cantilevered at 90 degrees to the holes, there should be enough plastic to hold them given the stress angles.

holesInserts_6012.jpg

Last edited:
I actually like this quite a bit. It is now the perfect distance.
The new tray fits the trackball mouse much better.

It feels solid and secure and I like it better than my aluminum solution.

It might be a smidge better if I tilt it forward 10-15 degrees, but I think I'll use it like this for a little while just to make sure.
mousetray_6019.jpg
MouseTray_6022.jpg

The issue is that most people have their wheel tilted upwards as do I and the mouse felt funny angled away from me.

Final iteration tilted it forward 8 degrees.
pitchedforward.jpg

Just released into the wild.

This feels better :) I'm calling it done.

MouseTray_6030.jpg

MouseTray_6029.jpg

MouseTray_6027.jpg

Last edited:
I got some feedback. People love the trackball mouse tray, but would like it to be stand alone. In fact one guy said he would buy that trackball mouse if he could print the tray out. It's a VERY common trackball in the sim community based on what I've heard.

Tomorrow I'm going to put one out that is a bit deeper with a 40mm offset square pattern and both M5 and M6 bolt versions so anyone can bolt it down to their profile rig.

Last edited:
I got some feedback. People love the trackball mouse tray, but would like it to be stand alone. In fact one guy said he would buy that trackball mouse if he could print the tray out. It's a VERY common trackball in the sim community based on what I've heard.

Tomorrow I'm going to put one out that is a bit deeper with a 40mm offset square pattern and both M5 and M6 bolt versions so anyone can bolt it down to their profile rig.
Sometimes we need to be careful what we wish for! Now I HAVE to get that Logitech trackball mouse that's been on my list since seeing your aluminum mount!

Sometimes we need to be careful what we wish for! Now I HAVE to get that Logitech trackball mouse that's been on my list since seeing your aluminum mount!

I've been a trackball devotee for over 25 years and have tried/own most of them. They may have improved the design in the past few years but I was never able to get lifespan out of the M570. Averaged less than a year for everyday use. We broke 4 of them in this house in fairly short order, yet I have Marbleman's that have lasted 10+.

I get a lot of life out of these Japanese Elecom's, several different designs. For whatever reason I find the blue logitech balls a little more responsive than the stock ones. I have plenty extra.

This is my favourite, I prefer finger control but thumb is almost as accurate for me.

Adjustable DPI and more buttons makes it a clear winner without the reliability concerns. I've used both wired and wireless versions, no problems other than wear. 30k+ hr confirmed. Sadly no cool tray.stl :)

@RCHeliguy I've seen you reference feedback of this sort numerous times, mind sharing the other forums you frequent? Ty

Last edited:
I've been a trackball devotee for over 25 years and have tried/own most of them. They may have improved the design in the past few years but I was never able to get lifespan out of the M570. Averaged less than a year for everyday use. We broke 4 of them in this house in fairly short order, yet I have Marbleman's that have lasted 10+.

I get a lot of life out of these Japanese Elecom's, several different designs. For whatever reason I find the blue logitech balls a little more responsive than the stock ones. I have plenty extra.

This is my favourite, I prefer finger control but thumb is almost as accurate for me.

Adjustable DPI and more buttons makes it a clear winner without the reliability concerns. I've used both wired and wireless versions, no problems other than wear. 30k+ hr confirmed. Sadly no cool tray.stl :)

@RCHeliguy I've seen you reference feedback of this sort numerous times, mind sharing the other forums you frequent? Ty
Now I have my mind spinnin', fingers itchin' and thumbs twiddlin'!

I also purchased the same trackball mouse after seeing it in RCHeliguy's thread.
But personally, I didn't find it convenient to have mounted somewhere in front of me.

I mounted mine on it's side, directly to the side of my seat (just some heavy duty sticky tape), almost exactly where my arm naturally falls. So, no reaching or finding a good position to mount it. Just drop my arm to the side, and there it is.

I was a bit concerned that the BK vibrations in the seat might cause some issues. But so far it seems not.

Here are two versions for M5x16 and M6x16 bolts.
The hole pattern is 20mm OC with 40mm between the far corners. It should only take a couple bolts to hold it in place and keep it from spinning.

I've found the velcro helps to buffer the mouse from transducers. Personally I've had my two Logitech 570 trackballs for quite some time. One has the printing worn off of it. They've been perfectly reliable. I have one velro'd to my rig and the other on the adjustable keyboard table with the keyboard when I'm using roomscale. Both of them and my logitech keyboard run off a single Diversity USB plug. I believe it handles up to 8 devices.

MouseTraysM5M6.jpg

Apparently I struck a more mainstream nerve with these trays, judging by the ever so slight uptick in downloads in the last couple days.
1612440579995.png

Last edited:

Facebook Forums

SimLab

High End SimRacing Enthusiasts

I used to help moderate the last group, but it wore me out.

Probably silly to bother with this. It ends up about a quarter per linear foot.

ProfileCover.jpg

Had someone show me an image of their print coming along nicely.

fandownload.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 23 12.9%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • Thursday

Votes: 23 12.9%
  • Friday

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Saturday

Votes: 100 56.2%