Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

You really make use of that 3d printer! Good job designing all these nice add-ons.

Thanks! I'm suffering from trickledown. When one thing looks better suddenly something nearby starts to look shabby.

Actually looking to design something to support both of my SC2 Pro PSU's as well as help manage my cables down there. Started thinking about it today. Not rushing it, but I think I can do something interesting that I'll like better than anything currently available. I may use a hybrid aluminum/3D printed solution for this.

Still not doing anything that will take my rig out of commission for more than a few minutes. Want to continue using it now.

I rearranged my wiring in back using various 8020 materials. I think this is an improvement. 8020 is such great stuff and while I could 3D print a few things, I'm not sure what it buys me at this point.

There is a place to wind extra USB cable on the left side now. I think I'll leave it like this until I come up with a new mounting solution for my flight pedals just incase something needs to move to make that work.
Wiring_5916.jpg

Last edited:
I had a few idle minutes.... and now I have this printing.
It's a USB reel and cover that will help create a nice fan out to the USB hub :)

USBReelCover.jpg

USBReelCover2.jpg

I currently have my USB Hub elevated on top of a piece of 40x40 profile suspended another 3/4" with a corner piece and a spacer. It works, but I think I'll replace it with this which will take up less space and have room to stow some the extra cable that I don't need.

USBPedestal.jpg

Last edited:

The Brim just fell off, added 5mm threaded inserts.
USBReelCover_5919.jpg

USB Hub Pedestal
PedestalPrint_5926.jpg

Stuffed the USB cable from the hub to the PSU in the pedestal.
StuffWires_5927.jpg

All the USB cables are spreadout.
USBWires_5929.jpg

USB cables are wound.
WoundWires_5931.jpg

Neat! Cover is on and the rest of the power cords are plugged in.

I don't think I can get much cleaner than this.
Neat_5932.jpg

Last edited:
I see and know the labels on the cords are functional and done with a label maker. I have done the same, except I made the writing very small and stuck them to the area that flares out at the base of the usb plug. Looks cleaner, and in my case the USB hub has the plugs all 90 deg to yours, so I can see all the labels.

But, considering your great experience with the labels on the button box, I am assuming some sort of label/tag for the cords is also coming.... Perhaps something with a sort of clip that can just attach to the cord nicely and neatly.

No offence. But you set the bar pretty high here....

I am assuming some sort of label/tag for the cords is also coming....

No offence. But you set the bar pretty high here....

I was looking at those today and thinking I didn't like how they were working. LOL!

Hmmm.... :rolleyes: Two part snap together USB labels that fit over the end plug.

Last edited:
Holy Crap my 3 month wait is over! My last 30mm backlit button arrived !!!!!

And my silent VR cables that I'm still not sure how I'm going to mount.

The 30mm white button on the left is HMD center.
This has a longer throw and a better click. The solid silver 30mm button there before has a hairs breath trigger on it so you had to find the button, but keep your finger off of it until your head was facing straight forward.

That's it!
I'm done soldering, and opening this button box up for a while
icon_biggrin.gif

Now I can finally put everything away in my office.

LastButton_5934.jpg

Last edited:
Do you think having exhausts on the back of a sim rig would look good, or is it a bad idea?

I'm printing one side out just to see how it looks. If I like it I'll print the other side.

I'm thinking this is a love it or hate it thing that some people would think looked good and others not so much.
SimExhausts.jpg

dualExhausts2.jpg

PS. This was an exercise in rectangular patterns and radial copying with Fusion 360. I saw a honeycomb pattern with one exhaust and then the Ferrari California exhaust below that inspired this.

exhaustferrari.jpg

Last edited:
This is a very cool looking print. This image does not do it justice :)

This is my first time using "Jet Black". Very nice! It looks WET!!! :geek:
Pearl Mouse will be a great goldish silver looking exhaust color.

SimExhaust_5936.jpg

Last edited:
The back seat handles for a Jeep arrived.

These aren't needed when I'm driving, but in flight mode they will be very helpful stepping over the throttle. I also removed the tow straps I used to drag my rig around with. I can use these handles for that too.

GrabHandles_5940.jpg

I temporarily reused the retired steel parts from my stock P1 pedal deck.
They've been perfect to help me dial in the height I want. Next I'll need to cut some aluminum to replace that and pretty this up.

GrabHandles_5939.jpg

I'll cut a 9" length off of my 6" wide 1/4" aluminum stock and then cut that into two approximately 3" wide parts that I'll cut, drill, shape and polish to hold the grab handles. I'm going to see if 2 x M8 bolts and the stiffness of the plate is enough to make this solid. If not, I'll add a corner brace on the inside and possibly a 3rd M8 bolt to the upright.

mountplate_5941.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I'm printing the other pair. I'm still undecided about them, but based on FB there are a bunch of people who think the idea is pretty cool and I'm sure I can sent them to a loving home if I decide I don't want them and @DrRob more people probably don't like them and joked about exhaust gases coming from the seat.

exhaustLow_5945.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 35 13.6%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 35 13.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 32 12.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 84 32.7%
  • Saturday

Votes: 149 58.0%