Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

The easy part is done, drilling two holes and rerouting the brake cable.

@GagarynGaribaldi I'm considering your suggestion to 3D print an enclosure around the static part of the handbrake mount. I could see that helping by allowing me to easily sandwich the flexible boot with a rectangular piece that secures into the enclosure pressure fitting the boot and hiding the seam cleanly.

holesHandbrakemount_5850.jpg

Really liking this new stick! Lots of features! More than I was expecting. It came with two Allen keys to adjust these features.
VirpilConstellationR_5851.jpg

The things that stand out are the adjustable hand rest, the ability to allow some twist or none at all. I assume that's for some people who use that for a rudder. The ballistic resin feels good in the hand, solid, but not cold like the A-10 metal stick. The trigger is easier than the A-10. Many of the buttons have multiple detents. For example the mouse like scroll wheel has a click and if you push harder there is a second click. All the controls are buttons. The secondary trigger in front of the main trigger can be pushed forward out of the way or can be pulled back to the point where it engages the primary trigger. It has a lot more controls than the A-10 does. It came with two Allen keys. One is to adjust twist or lack of it. I still haven't figured out what the second stubby Allen key is for yet.

Last edited:
I printed out a new replay binnacle since I needed a Slow motion button for iRacing and an End Replay button for Dirt Rally. I added the rear 12V hole and added 2mm to the height so the top buttons would have clearance. The Request Pit label is not replacing the fan label. It was just something I printed this morning.

So this is currently how I see this working.

End Replay, Slow Mo
REW - Pause/Play - FF
Last Lap - Stop - Next Lap

My experience with the replay binnacle is that it is very satisfying to use and much quicker than a mouse.

I decided I needed another toggle on the side panel for it to become the radio panel with a Crew Chief button at the bottom.

Still waiting for buttons before I install these.
I also need to get the ABS push button working. The push buttons are the On/Off toggles for ABS/TCS/Brake Bias.

These magnetic labels are working extremely well! Very happy I made them so easily interchangeable especially while I'm figuring things out.

This still leaves 4 buttons that I have not assigned for anything yet in any title and a few more inputs on the BBI-64 :)

RadioReplay_5855.jpg

Last edited:
This fits into the order of operations category.

My older button box extended too far down and did not allow me to move my flight throttle as high or far forward as I would have liked. That was one of many reasons that I redesigned my button box. Now I am free to put my flight throttle exactly where I want it!

Loving the new Virpil Constellation-R grip! It feels MUCH nicer than the solid metal A-10 stick I was using.

That means I can now build the custom Aluminum brackets for my flight throttle that remain on my chair when I remove this throttle. The 8020 stock part solution I have now works, but it's not quite as clean as I like. Since this will be a permanent fixture, I'd like it polished looking. I'll be reducing the part count and number of bolts required by creating a single piece bracket out of 1/4" thick aluminum angle.

FlightBB_5862.jpg

That stick looks definitely amazing. I have been eyeing Virpil T50 sticks for a while, I´m ultra mega happy with my Virpil base. Enjoy them!

The Virpil base is light years better than the Thrustmaster. Lots of metal instead of plastic. Not sure if you saw where I broke the plastic insdie my Thrustmaster A-10 base when removing the extension pipe.

The stick feels better too even though it goes away from metal. It's nice not having something cold

The Virpil base is light years better than the Thrustmaster. Lots of metal instead of plastic. Not sure if you saw where I broke the plastic insdie my Thrustmaster A-10 base when removing the extension pipe.

The stick feels better too even though it goes away from metal. It's nice not having something cold
that zamak rounded part?? I swap grips quite often (Warthog and Hornet) should I be worried?

that zamak rounded part?? I swap grips quite often (Warthog and Hornet) should I be worried?

I found the knurled metal sleeve on the Virpil grip that screws on my extension pipe easier to get tight and adjust than the one on the A-10 which I would periodically have come loose on me ( mid-combat ). So I believe you would like that better as well.

Last edited:
3 Project updates:

#1 Grab Handle: I decided that a marine grab rail going from left to right would look terrible, but recently found rear grab handles for a Jeep. One will bolt vertically to the upright profile just behind my button box. I think it will look much better on my rig and being black will blend rather than sticking out. This is also an inexpensive solution at $24 from Amazon.

I'm only doing this for when I have my rig in flight mode, because I have to step over the flight throttle bolted to the side of the seat bracket. With the new side to side 3D printed dash there is no longer anything left to grab when I'm getting into and even more so getting out of my seat. With the flight throttle on one side and H pattern shifter blocking the other side, there is no way to step out. This will make it easier to step over.
grabhandle.jpg

#2 Completing Button Box: Received my metal buttons and joysticks. Still waiting for plastic buttons and my remaining 30mm backlit button before I reopen and complete my button box.

#3 Hand brake leather boot: Received my leather sewing kit, red waxed thread and black leather, but I haven't designed the 3D printed enclosure for my hand brake.

leatherbuttonsetc_5872.jpg

Full rig shots seemed appropriate at this point.
RecentRig_5871.jpg
RecentRig_5869.jpg

Last edited:
I learned my lesson.
TEST ALL THE CONTROLS before assembly :)
ALL buttons, switches, toggles, joysticks and rotaries now work 100% !

I'm still waiting for a 30mm backlit button, but had everything else, so I tore it apart and transferred the controls and wiring over. The modular design is working. I just swapped out two of the smaller sections for this. The side panel has one more input, the replay binnacle has 2 more inputs. Having extra pins left on every section made this pretty easy work.

Now all the buttons have a nice tactile click !

There are still 4 buttons without a purpose in life, and there are only about 3 or 4 inputs left on the BBI-64, so it is reaching full capacity.

Testing_5873.jpg

Last edited:
I get it all the way back together after testing everything successfully.

ONE F'n button is not working now and I've verified that everything at the panel and ribbon is fine.

Of course the ribbon connector for this one panel is the most inaccessible in my wiring enclosure. It's way in the back.

The way I have the wiring enclosure sandwiching the vertical wheelbase support has all the bolts at the very back of the enclosure and I no doubt knocked something loose while assembling it.

I'm going to take a little time away from this and return when I'm calmer.

This will drive me crazy until I have it 100% sorted.
BasicallyDone_5874.jpg

Every now and then I want to know what time it is with a quick glance. I had to look at a wall clock over my shoulder, or bring it up on the computer.

The empty space on the right side of my dash was a perfect place to put a clock :)

Now I can just peek out of my VR headset for a split second to see what time it is.

Mclock_5897.jpg

My current main customer decided tomorrow is not a work day, so I'm going to race tomorrow :) Pretty excited about it too.

Last edited:
I mounted my sequential shifter again after many months without it and ran my random orbital sander over the foot plate.

The bolts on the inside of the mounting plates for the uprights managed to come loose, so I had to pull the whole wheel deck off which was a bit painful, but this time I used my impact driver to get those bolts on solidly!

Loving how this all looks. Not sure I feel as strongly about making a leather boot for the handbrake. Seems sort of meh to me. So I think this will be it until my Jeep rear seat handles get hear in a couple weeks or so. Once I get those, I may remove the tow straps since I think the handles will serve double duty for moving the rig around and getting in/ out when my flight throttle is in place.

Got some good track time today before the inauguration. Now back to the races :)

sequential_5902.jpg

Last edited:

Because the world needed another USB hanger and it only took 5 minutes to design the perfect USB hanger for me.

USBHanger_5907.jpg

USBHanger_5908.jpg

This worked, but it fell off at times. Now it won't.

USBHook_5904.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 35 13.7%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 35 13.7%
  • Thursday

Votes: 32 12.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 84 32.8%
  • Saturday

Votes: 148 57.8%