Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

I actually like the red.
What I did do was replace those nasty Metal Oxide bolts at the base of the stick. They will rust up and look horrible over time. It always amazes me when a high quality piece of equipment comes with cheap bolts.

You will also need to put a protective coat of oil over the black stick itself and the spring they supply.

New bottle and red/black woven sheathing to dress things up.
newbottle_sheathing_5390.jpg

You can see from the image below how when I'm in the harness the tube is not rubbing against anything, so it doesn't "need" sheathing, but I like how it looks :)

newsheathingandbottle.jpg

I had an idea this morning...

I decided to use Galaxy Black. Fingers crossed that I actually got this one right on the first try.

printing_5393.jpg

Cover.png

cover2.png

If it wasn't obvious. This will be only 1mm taller than the bolt heads are so I'm thinking it will both look better and make sure my steering cable doesn't rub on the bolts anymore, plus those rusting bolts are ugly!

covergoeshere_5394.jpg

Last edited:
Obviously not!

So this worked, but isn't quite perfect.
Once again I used the textured print surface and I love how that looks.
It fits well and the holes are sized well. it took a rubber mallet to secure this in place and it is flush all around with no gaps.
However the radiused edges required sanding all around, so I was obviously too aggressive with the overhangs. So this STL file is not ready to share.

CoverBack_5400.jpg
CoverFront_5399.jpg

Overall I think it was a success, but I need to work on the edges, if I want to share this.

Mounted_Front_5401.jpg

Mounted_5402.jpg

Mounted_5403.jpg

• Deleted member 197115

Looks really nice, add some carbon fiber on the top.
Didn't you have those nice shiny bolt caps, why not use them?

Last edited by a moderator:
What drawing software do you use? I really can’t get on top of blender, I’d like something a bit more intuitive.....but didn’t like sketchup either

I'm using Fusion 360. It's free for personal use and is perfect for mechanical drawings. I've used sketchup and while I got used to it, I like Fusion 360 quite a bit better.

This morning I spent about 10 minutes tinkering with my last design which fits perfectly, but I decided to try something a bit lighter looking with a smaller center hole and more relief on the edges for USB cables.

SC2CoverV2.png

We'll see how this one looks. I'm printing it upright so there are no issue with the edges.
Version2_5404.jpg

Looking pretty good so far.
printing_5406.jpg

Last edited:
Now I want to extend this to the right and add a place to secure my wheel's USB plug receiver.

Nevermind, that doesn't work right. I want more tension in the coiled cable, but I have an idea how to handle it :)

Past that I decided to put out a question to see how others have done this to see if I can find something to inspire me past what I was coming up with on my own.

Last edited:
I don't know where the plug goes.
But what about a sort of tray that goes underneath the simucube.
It could be attached to the bottom, with enough space to the bottom of the simucube that allows the coiled connector to sit there. I'm somewhat assuming that the connector goes to the back of the simucube?.
Then, you could have a notch in the front of the tray that would allow the cable to fit through the notch, but not the entire width of the coil. It would basically capture it and any excess would be hidden in the tray under the wheelbase??

Thanks for playing. This is completely external to the SimuCube. It has a USB connector on one end of a straight cord with a female military spec round screw on connector. Then the wheel has a coiled USB cable that ends in a male military spec round connector.

You have to wrap the cord around the steering column for it to work properly.

All I'm looking for a is a clean way to connect the female end to my rig. I can easily come up with my own and have a few ideas. I'm only looking to see images of existing solutions and I put the request out somewhere else.

Last edited:
I think I'll probably just cut a piece of aluminum, drill a big center hole and thread 4 small holes and call it done, unless I see something that wows me.

• Deleted member 197115

Why do you need to wrap cord around?
I always had slack just dangling in between legs, same as in race cars with corded wheels. Doesn't interfere with anything.
E.g
watermarked_thumbnail.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 23 12.8%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • Thursday

Votes: 23 12.8%
  • Friday

Votes: 63 35.0%
  • Saturday

Votes: 100 55.6%