Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Aren´t you guys going " a bit" overboard here?;)

I remember the time when simracing was about driving :rolleyes:

(I´ll show myself out)

I can remember back when it was a pain in the ass to have to switch wheels and even pedals for consoles. I think the DD+ will be my ideal wheel to get next year, but I may find myself in a situation with 2 different wheel bases.

Although a primary design feature I wanted was the idea that I can hit a few buttons and regardless if its for a gaming keyboard/mouse or a wheel, its possible for me to get an ideal position to suit that usage scenario and or different rims etc.

A current trend for cockpits seems to be moving the seat and pedals as well, but nah, I don't have much desire to change configs for GT or F1 styles. Im not sure people that own those types of rigs, how often they can be bothered to change them just to drive a different car or game.

So for me this is more about comfort and convenience for different usage scenarios. I will use this area for music/movies/gaming, so its also gonna be nice if I can hit a button to move things out of the way too.

Last edited:
I've done my measurements and the new wheelbase mount holds the wheel slightly lower at the highest position. I'm already at the top of the range for my existing vertical mount.

I really haven't wanted to do this, but it looks like I'll need to replace my 40x120 upright profile with longer pieces :(

I think this project has officially been pushed into 2024. Time to put the wheelbase in the closet.

Last edited:
It looks like I painted myself into a corner and I need to re-arrange my rig.

I have my uprights too close to my seat.
I currently have no extension pipes and my knees are directly under the vertical wheelbase plate which is why I'm having issues.

I need to move my uprights forward and use the fore/aft sliding mechanism of the ASR mount to adjust for that. It will eliminate my knee issue and make it easier to get into my rig.

I'm curious what you will report back after installation and resulting rigidity.
I've seen those bearing/rail systems before (other industrial supply site). You can think of quite a few ways to use them, and I was going to buy a few just to play around with. But just wasn't sure the resulting rigidity. But now seeing this solution, and assuming it's solid, maybe I have to find the site again and order a few to experiment with.

I'm curious what you will report back after installation and resulting rigidity.
I've seen those bearing/rail systems before (other industrial supply site). You can think of quite a few ways to use them, and I was going to buy a few just to play around with. But just wasn't sure the resulting rigidity. But now seeing this solution, and assuming it's solid, maybe I have to find the site again and order a few to experiment with.
I have reports from others that it is very solid and so far it appears very solid to me.

The sliding rails are solid chunks of aluminum with thick Stainless steel rods that three bearings ride on. but there is a solid block on each end of the bearings and the a block on a lever that pushes everything solid.

Last edited:
Well,

they seem to have a sizeable overlap.
If the lever system enables enough pretension they should be rigid enough.

Fingers crossed....
My thoughts exactly. There's also many of them working together in the entire structure. But I'm sure RCHeliguy will give the straight assessment after he runs it through a rally session.

I have my shifter (Prosim/Quaife H) on the right, and it does get in the way for getting in/out of the seat. I always wanted a way to build a rail system to just allow it to slide back easily. These linear rails could be the answer.
Another possibility is that I like the idea to have the entire wheel deck slide in/out similar to how shown in the video. But in my case I sometimes install a small desk just to play some keyboard mouse games a bit easier. I made a sort of frame but it's never really been ideal and always a pain to swap. But this sort of application could be a really good option....

I have to see if I can find that website/supplier again. There were lots of options including different sizes and also some with 5x bearings as well (probably overkill)

Last edited:
I have to see if I can find that website/supplier again. There were lots of options including different sizes and also some with 5x bearings as well (probably overkill)

Deciphering the numbers from the ASR part.

(bearing ) SGB 15-3 Slider-Lock ( -3 bearings )
(rail) SGR 15 203mm long rails. ( likely a custom length )

The ASR part also has beveled holes in the rails.
Looks like ASR ordered them without these tabs or ground them off.
1701434938707.png

@mechsicko I could see this working well for a very solid stick mount :)

1701433854521.png

Dual-axis Guide Rail Linear Rail SGR10 SGR15 SGR20 SGR25 SGR35 High Speed Guider Locking Slider SGB10 SGB15 SGB20 SGB25 SGB35

After looking at the pricing of all the parts for the ASR Pro wheelbase mount, I think they have it priced very well for the content.

Last edited:
This is the other site I saw previously with these bearings/rails (and some other stuff)
https://limobearing.com/black-linear-roller-guide-sgb

I think I'm going to order 3 or 4 (with some railing) just to experiment a bit. For sure I will find a way to use them somewhere.

The SG-20 options are a bit larger than the SG-15, but the mounting holes at least have one dimension that is 40mm (40mm x 50mm). At least then you have a possibility of directly mounting to profile (with correct orientation), otherwise is a guaranteed mounting adapter.
There's also an SG-10E option (smaller) which has a 20x30 mounting pattern and might be an interesting experiment for mounting some things.

FWIW the UU versions are not nearly as heavy duty. They have much thinner end metal stops.

For attaching some controls they may be perfect. For example this would work for my collective stick. However, I already have similar functionality using the top slot of my profile frame.

I'm currently not sure where I would use these rails on my rig. Time will tell.

I worked up a sweat in the Beyond. According to my Fitbit I got my heartrate up to about 142.
I played a lot longer than I recorded. The headset remained comfortable and never fogged up on me.

Also it looked very smooth at 75fps. It's not until you play it at 90fps which feels faster that you realize you were not playing at 90fps already.

Last edited:
My work computer is a dust bunny refuge. Please consider donating generously to the save the dust bunny foundation!

A few people here who are into audio, might find this interesting.

This is what my entire owned music collection has been reduced to... A single 4Tb M.2 drive. Yes, I have Spotify which I enjoy, but there are some things Spotify doesn't have and these are all uncompressed, with some being 24bit by as high as 192kHz which I'll admit is serious overkill but does sound very good.

The M.2 drive fits into the bottom of a new Music Server, Streamer, DAC, pre-amp with a large touch screen display, amp trigger and IOS and Android interfaces to control it. As well as fully balanced XLR connectors to drive the amp. It can even rip SA CD's. Slices dices and makes julienne fries ;)

musiclibrary.jpg

Hope to see this arriving soon!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

My work computer is a dust bunny refuge. Please consider donating generously to the save the dust bunny foundation!

A few people here who are into audio, might find this interesting.

This is what my entire owned music collection has been reduced to... A single 4Tb M.2 drive. Yes, I have Spotify which I enjoy, but there are some things Spotify doesn't have and these are all uncompressed, with some being 24bit by as high as 192kHz which I'll admit is serious overkill but does sound very good.

The M.2 drive fits into the bottom of a new Music Server, Streamer, DAC, pre-amp with a large touch screen display, amp trigger and IOS and Android interfaces to control it. As well as fully balanced XLR connectors to drive the amp. It can even rip SA CD's. Slices dices and makes julienne fries ;)

View attachment 711464

Hope to see this arriving soon!

No HP output, you can do better than that. And on MQA support, you pay for abandoned tech.

• Deleted member 197115

Thanks! I knew I was making a huge mistake!

And yeah, I now the Tidal support is a licensing fee I'll likely never use.
It's actually very well received, though you would need separate headphone amp which is a bummer.
BTW, there is lesser DA6 model, which almost just as good but cost $1K less.
Amit's review of it.
And while A8 has more impressive spec depending on personal preferences that might not translate to the better listening experience, which can be attributed to AKM vs ESS DAC difference. AKM while considered higher end can result in too laid back, warmer presentation with smoothed out details, more "analogish".

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm familiar with the DA6 and I have an ESS DAC right now in my OPPO 105D.
My Martin Logan electrostatic speakers are known to be analytical and my amp is completely neutral, so I'm thinking that this may actually be a good pairing with my speakers.

If I don't like it I'll return it and pay the restocking fee.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%