Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Have the Dynamic foveated rendering running in DCS against the new multi-threaded DCS engine located in \DCSWorld\bin-mt\DCS.exe rather than bin.

I have 4 cores running at 100% at 5.48GHz.
The 4090 is running at about 92%

I have the Varjo base software set to highest, but when I check the settings once the game is loaded, I'm seeing 36ppd listed and not 39ppd.

In game I can't see the cropping or the dithering around the center of my eye.

It looks SHARP SHARP SHARP!!!!!!

I'm not sure this is simply a resolution thing. I think there is more going on, sort of like FFR in quality mode where there is more processing done to make the center of the image look sharper.

I had to launch DCS from inside the D-Box game center once before it recognized it running. Then I could launch from the mult-threaded open beta area with D-Box working.

Now to see about the OXRMC...
I moved the tracker lower. I was told that I won't be able to get that working in DCS just yet because it is using the native VarjoOpenXR instead of OpenXR. I'm hoping that the tracker may make it look much more settled in Dirt Rally 2.0 and will allow me to crank up the brake dive a bit without breaking emersion.

Edit: just found out that the OXRMC is compatible with the VarjoOpenXR and the DFR update I installed.

In the picture below you can see 4 displays being rendered. That is the native rendering for the XR-3. Before this there was a wrapper that would take it down to 2 for the Aero of the frame rates would drop. Now it works with this and is actually more efficient. Go figure!

trackerDCS_9065.jpg

I haven't actually seen the frame rate I'm getting. It looks smooth. I was just told that I can press (right ctrl / pause) and click the triangle in the upper left corner to expand the information I want in DCS :)

Last edited:
Now I'm seeing that we are nearing the upper limit of the VRAM buffer that iRacing uses that is currently about 8Gb.

I'm hearing that on some of the newer scanned tracks that you may even go over that limit when set to the highest resolution of the Aero and people need to drop their resolution from Highest so it doesn't start rendering some things fuzzy when it runs out of space.

I really hope that 8Gb limit is simply something they(the iRacing developers) set thinking, "No one will ever need more than 8Gb" and is something they can easily increase.

Last edited:
AFAIK its adjustable in the config file beyond that, just dont touch the slider in game or it will pull it back within the limits of the slider.
I heard that this has been brought up in the iRacing boards and there is supposed to be some trickledown in the code, but it's worth a try. Worst thing that can happen is it crashes iRacing and you edit the file back.

Got to try out the OpenXR Motion Compensation today.

Initial thoughts are that this works well and is easy to setup. Also while I've never thought I needed motion compensation, it does look better with it :)

With the Vive Tracker this is very painless. Some people try the witmotion option, but it is harder to setup and doesn't appear to work as well. This appears to be rock solid.

I now have a USB cable running to the Tracker 3.0 now and it stays on.

Setup was pretty simple.

Download
and run
Install_OpenXR-MotionCompensation_0.2.5.exe

The config file defaults to motion tracking device on the left side, so I didn't need to change anything.

I configured keys on my StreamDeck XL as follows

Motion Correction Activate Ctrl+Ins
Motion Correction Recenter Ctrl+Del
Motion Correction Reload Config file Ctr+Shift+L

Normal operation
  1. Start DCS multi-threaded version
  2. Wait for D-Box to initialize and center
  3. Center my HMD
One extra step
  • Press MC Activate

That's it! It calibrates that position as neutral and I was done.
I haven't done any additional tweaking.

In DSC I flew the Huey and with MC enabled I could pitch around and the cockpit stayed in place. I did my best to keep my head rigid and banked around keeping my eye on the edge of the dash and it didn't move.

Then I exited out of DCS completely and restarted it. This time I didn't activate Motion Control. I banked around and the dashboard moved in my displays. BuzzteeBear just informed me that the Ctr+Ins acts as a toggle. So I didn't need to do that.

Success!!!!

Going to play in DCS for a little while longer. This is cool :)

Ctrl+Pause in DCS will give you the framerate you are getting.

Without motion smoothing I'm getting about 73fps on the ground on the runway, but it improves in the air and this is with DFR, MT, and OXRMC running the Aero at highest resolution which currently reads 36ppd. It is super sharp and my GPU is 92-93% the whole time.

With Motion Smoothing at 2:1 or locked at 45fps, I get a solid 45fps and my GPU is only running 48%. This is still at highest resolution and everything still looks sharp. I do see a bit of ghosting with the reprojection going. If I quickly move my head and stop I don't notice it nearly as much and if I move my head very slowly I don't see it, but at other panning speeds it is noticeable. However this should allow someone without a 4090 to run the highest resolution in DCS. Maybe a 3090 or 3080Ti could do it. Guessing.

Now to crank up the brake dive in iRacing and see how it looks there. I had to dial that motion effect back because the car's dash would bob up and down and break immersion.

Last edited:
Need to add some .ini settings to get it right as well.

The tracker and motion correction do not like haptics. More to come as I dial this in.

For flight it is a better. But I haven't fired any weapons yet in DCS. (WITH MOTION TRACKING ENABLED) So....

Last edited:
Forgot I had my camera at ISO 6400.

The mount looks decent enough, but I think I'll likely need to go to something different. I think this will potentially vibrate poorly, but I think I have an idea for a completely different mount point.

Still I'll give it a shot to see what it does.

trackerMount_9067.jpg
TrackerMount_9068.jpg

Last edited:
You are a strange man, you play the best multiplayer racing game, iracing, but only in single player and you fly in the best combat simulator DCS, but only with weapons off :roflmao:
:roflmao:

You should get MSFS set up, it looks really nice in VR and satisfies all that GA/no weapons activities.

Last edited:
Ohhh that´s a capital sin :)

Regarding Varjo, I read from an user of my virtual sqn that Varjo Discord is always hot with news of a beta software to take really good advantage of that powerful piece of hardware, in case you didn´t know.

Enjoy!!

I was NOT saying I had never fired a weapon in DCS.

Also I'm actively on the Varjo Discord and was on there before I ordered my Aero to get a reality check of the current state of the headset before buying one.

Come on guys! Don't you remember earlier how I was saying the D-Box haptic weapon's effect was really good ?

Let me be a bit more specific.

After seeing how the rumble strips and D-Box suspension haptics impacted the motion compensation, basically rotated me 90 degrees and then popped me back to level, I was saying I thought this had worked well for flight, but that I hadn't seen how the weapons fire haptics would impact motion compensation.

There are filters in the ini file that can be tweaked and I haven't gotten to that point yet.

The main point is that the motion compensation is impacted by vibrations.

Last edited:
My earlier setup was an over simplificataion.

After pairing the Vive Tracker, you need to specify a location in SteamVR Setup ->Devices -> Trackers. I choose left_shoulder.

Then in the .ini file to match you need to set the side to match. I've been told it doesn't matter which one you choose as long s they match.

tracker = vive
side = left_shoulder
physical_early_init = 1

Without The physical_early_init =1 all you will hear with the Vive Tracker when you enable this is "error"

Then there are the following two filters. Their default value is 0.5, but you may need to tweak these values.

translational_filter = 0.5
rotational_filter = 0.5

Still learning about this and designing a better mount point.

There is a lot of additional calibration shown in the documentation but much of it isn't necessary with a Vive Tracker. So there is a bit of a learning curve and possibly some tweaking depending on where your tracker is mounted to your rig and what kind of motion / vibrations you are going to feel.

With my isolated tactile effects this isn't nearly as much of an issue as with the D-Box Haptics that apparently can really throw the motion compensation for a loop.

Last edited:
I think I want to go with something that has a more rigid base, so I'll bolt straight down to the 40x120mm vertical uprights. This is a similar position, but there is a whole lot less room for flex and vibration.

This is actually a design I could share for other people with a SimLab P1 chassis.
1679827422983.png
TrackerMount2_9070.jpg

M8 threads done.

It's funny how small the 40x120mm profile looks in this image. I think it's more that the Starrett tap handle is larger than you might expect.

MakeThreads_9072.jpg

Now to wait for the 3D printer.
BoltsReady_9074.jpg

Last edited:
I've been watching this guys work even if I don't end up doing this, he's making decent progress on the mechanical side of this.

Damn! Everything is looking so good lately.

Still just amazed by the views. Was playing In Death today at 35ppd and while running 120fps did help me with my shots on the Index, I can see targets in the distance soooooo crystal clearly. Now I can aim for things I didn't consider before. But I would still like 120fps for shooting games. It is still harder to get a precise shot off at 90fps compared to 120fps. Of course I'm shooting a lot more way way way off in the distance now.

I uploaded a left and right side Tracker 3.0 mount for generic use by anyone with a SimLab style rig with 40x120mm upright profile.

Feels very solid, no flex and positioned well.
Now that I believe I have my final mount, I'll start dialing in the filters.
trackerMount2_9075.jpg
TrackerMount2_9082.jpg

Last edited:
There are so many moving parts to get everything maximized.

DCS does actually get 39ppd, but if the Windows security takes permission away from the Aero's eye tracking cameras, it will drop back to 36ppd which is what I started seeing recently. Doh!

Edit: The permissions were still OK. Updating the NVidia driver fixed it. I was one version behind the latest.

I've been running Dirt Rally in SteamVR mode at 35ppd and it is on the edge of 90fps. I need to get OpenXR working properly there next so it's running easily.

Just realized that I need to set up SteamVR to launch OpenXR by default and I should be good to go, but I have to put it back for other titles.

I was hoping that the Motion Compensation would offer the most value, but it may be the most challenging as well. Should be interesting.

At this point I'm running everything at 35ppd except DCS at 39ppd.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 465 70.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 283 42.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 306 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 135 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 180 27.1%
Back