Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Looks quite nice, I think I will give this a try. Thanks for the feedback.
I dry sanded 400grit on the edges, then worked up through 3,000 and 5,000 grit paper dry sanding the flat bottom. Then I used a plastic polish with a buffing disk on my drill.

It looked pretty good with the 5,000 grit paper, but the polish is what took it home.

This is the polish I used.

Last edited:
One of the other things I've been banging around is the idea of going to a longer stick. It would give me a lot more precision, but I would definitely be pressing into my legs at full left or right roll.
1663687754697.png

I was just surprised that I had adequate seat clearance for the full +/- 16 degrees of motion I have with my Virpil CM2 base. The seat is represented in gray.

This would give me a lot more control. But first I need to see if I can be happy in flight with my current setup. And I'm still dreading doing that.

1663687898871.png

Edit: Just ordered these to see if this is a workable solution, because I'm obviously sick in the head.
1663700273784.png

Last edited:
The compromise got too much for me in the end with flight and racing. Not only the compromised position but also the time to swap. While the swap time was not large, it's something thats just another barrier.

In the end I just made a front and side section from 8040 that holds the stick, collective, throttle and a couple of MFD's. I may add a UFC at some point and I sit on an aces seat. It's all on a piece of 1200x900mm MDF that I can move around. Of course the con is the space but the pro is that its perfect for flight, the seat position is right for flight which means the stick has no issue (also the virpil extension).

Another thing I look forward to is hand tracking in flight sims, it wouldnt have worked in my racing sim because of all the other things and close proximit of wheel, racing rog stuff but with flight rig its empty space to allow me to interact with virtual cockpit.

I had to give up on motion on the flight rig but in VR, controls much better and tactile its worth it.

The compromise got too much for me in the end with flight and racing. Not only the compromised position but also the time to swap. While the swap time was not large, it's something thats just another barrier.

In the end I just made a front and side section from 8040 that holds the stick, collective, throttle and a couple of MFD's. I may add a UFC at some point and I sit on an aces seat. It's all on a piece of 1200x900mm MDF that I can move around. Of course the con is the space but the pro is that its perfect for flight, the seat position is right for flight which means the stick has no issue (also the virpil extension).

Another thing I look forward to is hand tracking in flight sims, it wouldnt have worked in my racing sim because of all the other things and close proximit of wheel, racing rog stuff but with flight rig its empty space to allow me to interact with virtual cockpit.

I had to give up on motion on the flight rig but in VR, controls much better and tactile its worth it.
It’s a good point that friction delaying playtime can ruin a hobby. For 1.5 years, I have been “moving” my rig into place on the weekends, and “putting it away” during the week. But as the rig became more complicated, all the move and setup time wore thin, really thin. I recently gave in and found a permanent spot for the rig (albeit at the expense of space previously reserved for another hobby).

I don't know how many times the scenario of exploring the potential in applying "advanced tactile" can be downplayed or twisted to become a bad thing to suit a person's own narrative. Refusing to acknowledge or credit that it can indeed become an addition to work with and enhance motion.

Yet for certain people to constantly be against that, to turn the topic into debates, Vs wars and ignore many of the benefits it via Simhub brings. To give nothing in consideration to what these open as new options for much better effects, including much better integration for those effects going into our bodies.

We are happy for those that are content with what their motion offers, but others want more, they want the boundaries to be pushed and the potential explored and for some, including me that is part of the journey.

Vapourware?
Much has been learned regards tactile, not only in defining an installation with very capable hardware that works extremely well and redefines how we consider making effects and not relying on a single sole unit for the effect's complete generation. Much has also been done on researching, buying and learning to use additional specific hardware to best analyze and understand what is being generated in the combined output of frequencies for various effects. What frequencies are utilised for specific engines, how do we apply generated tones to better align with that car? How do we build effects that can be enjoyed on a wider range of budget to highend hardware?

The time effort and testing in seeking to build more advanced, better-performing effects, is a long path. The improvements in understanding how to group or apply frequencies, especially for complex sensations like engines. Trying multiple ideas and testing those effects with advanced installations is pioneering but the progress made and recent revelations are far beyond what any off-the-shelf packaged option sold today can offer.

For me, the potential is exciting, and the passion is high but the frustration is the reality that very few people will help with this. They will soon get bored or settle in being happy with effects that are ideal or good enough because they are not tactile enthusiasts or not pursuing even better potential based on what has already been learned.

Most sim racers want to enjoy the limited free time they have with their rigs and not for it to become a tore. Yet every so often it is good to take a break.

For Mark, just my thoughts here, honestly I think part of the hobby is not using the rig extensively as some others might. Yes of course you want to experience what it offers. Yet I feel part of the hobby is seeking ways to improve it, overcoming challenges that test and showcase your other skills in creativity, design, and building stuff. Within that may be as much satisfaction in accomplishing solutions, sharing with and helping others as you get from using it.

Take some time just to enjoy a little fun for the sake of it being fun with what you have, gees man look at all that hardware.....

Last edited:
I don't know how many times the scenario of exploring the potential in applying "advanced tactile" can be downplayed or twisted to become a bad thing to suit a person's own narrative. Refusing to acknowledge or credit that it can indeed become an addition to work with and enhance motion.

Yet for certain people to constantly be against that, to turn the topic into debates, Vs wars and ignore many of the benefits it via Simhub brings. To give nothing in consideration to what these open as new options for much better effects, including much better integration for those effects going into our bodies.

We are happy for those that are content with what their motion offers, but others want more, they want the boundaries to be pushed and the potential explored and for some, including me that is part of the journey.

Vapourware?
Much has been learned regards tactile, not only in defining an installation with very capable hardware that works extremely well and redefines how we consider making effects and not relying on a single sole unit for the effect's complete generation. Much has also been done on researching, buying and learning to use additional specific hardware to best analyze and understand what is being generated in the combined output of frequencies for various effects. What frequencies are utilised for specific engines, how do we apply generated tones to better align with that car? How do we build effects that can be enjoyed on a wider range of budget to highend hardware?

The time effort and testing in seeking to build more advanced, better-performing effects, is a long path. The improvements in understanding how to group or apply frequencies, especially for complex sensations like engines. Trying multiple ideas and testing those effects with advanced installations is pioneering but the progress made and recent revelations are far beyond what any off-the-shelf packaged option sold today can offer.

For me, the potential is exciting, and the passion is high but the frustration is the reality that very few people will help with this. They will soon get bored or settle in being happy with effects that are ideal or good enough because they are not tactile enthusiasts or not pursuing even better potential based on what has already been learned.

Most sim racers want to enjoy the limited free time they have with their rigs and not for it to become a tore. Yet every so often it is good to take a break.

For Mark, just my thoughts here, honestly I think part of the hobby is not using the rig extensively as some others might. Yes of course you want to experience what it offers. Yet I feel part of the hobby is seeking ways to improve it, overcoming challenges that test and showcase your other skills in creativity, design, and building stuff. Within that may be as much satisfaction in accomplishing solutions, sharing with and helping others as you get from using it.

Take some time just to enjoy a little fun for the sake of it being fun with what you have, gees man look at all that hardware.....
Same old song…….never ends……reeks of desperation and filled with intentionally false statements. Not sure how many times I have to say that just like every other system, it has its place, but it’s not the be-all, end-all that you claim it to be.

Not sure how many times I can say that in my situation for me - “don’t need it, don’t want”. I have never told anyone to not go that route, but have provided info as a user of motion haptics and asked for clarity beyond grandiose claims that it’s the greatest engine sound ever. Even in this thread, I have indicated that I am very curious to hear the opinions of someone who pairs it with high-end motion. The results won’t change my rig plans, but it would be fun to know.

Here is a suggestion for you. Worry less about me and focus on your haptics empire. I thought you guys were moving over to Discord to setup your closed haptics community? Why not setup a vendor thread here and sell it the legit way. Let the market decide whether it is more than just a diehard DIY experiment.

Same old song…….never ends……reeks of desperation and filled with intentionally false statements. Not sure how many times I have to say that just like every other system, it has its place, but it’s not the be-all, end-all that you claim it to be.

Not sure how many times I can say that in my situation for me - “don’t need it, don’t want”. I have never told anyone to not go that route, but have provided info as a user of motion haptics and asked for clarity beyond grandiose claims that it’s the greatest engine sound ever. Even in this thread, I have indicated that I am very curious to hear the opinions of someone who pairs it with high-end motion. The results won’t change my rig plans, but it would be fun to know.

Here is a suggestion for you. Worry less about me and focus on your haptics empire. I thought you guys were moving over to Discord to setup your closed haptics community? Why not setup a vendor thread here and sell it the legit way. Let the market decide whether it is more than just a diehard DIY experiment.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you disagree with their discussion no problem. But insulting a platform they have a mutual interest in, on an end users dedicated build thread seems counterproductive.

For a guy who has no plans to incorporate high-end tactile, you have this weird obsession for making assumptions on how motion haptics are good enough and how isolation is dampening the motion experience. Instead of constantly soliciting for thoughts and opinions from people with both systems to satisfy your curiosity, try exercising some patience or contribute something of value by validating any of your theories with your own testing.

My flight stick extension and Z extension are supposed to arrive on Friday.

I'm very curious to see how that feels. If it does work well, I may get the new Virpil CM3 base with adjustable drag on both axis which should work well on a Cyclic stick.

I checked with Slaw to see if they are taking orders and if the damper can be ordered to go with their flight pedals. Still thinking about that one, but it is safe to say that I like flying helicopters more than planes.

This weekend I'm going to try my hardest to get the D-Box to feel decent with a cyclic stick. The pedals below are contingent on the results of this working well. Otherwise why bother?

I think part of it will be lowering the overall response while removing the re-centering. Re-centering may work for a plane, but on a helicopter it's a mess. I'm hoping that in VR as long as it's moving in small increments linearly across the cyclic range that it may be acceptable. A little motion goes a long way in VR. Given my actuators are not perfectly square, I may need to adjust the lateral vs. longitudinal motion to get something approaching the smooth cyclic feel I had with the NLRv3 even if it won't be nearly as much angle. The NLRv3 has this easy since your seat is centered on a universal joint and handles the cyclic stick brilliantly! The stick feels perfectly mated to the rotor swash. Fingers crossed I make some progress with the settings on my D-Box. This is one of the things that has been seriously sticking in my gut.

1663792797580.png

Also added myself to the notification list for when Nvidia officially releases the 4090 in 3 weeks.

Sometimes you've just got to say....

Last edited:
Is this "bass shaker mr latte transducers tactile buttkicker budget gamer 2 etc..." thread???

300 pages and 6000 post not enough for some people....People crazy here.

Project with extension for cyclic is good!!
You will see the difference with no extension for sure!

In real helicopters (and warbirds etc..) flight stick and cyclic always with extension.

But not easy to have optimal flight sim in sim racing cockpit.

Important is also the length of extension depending in base (cams, springs and clutch/ nyogel) and also depending on weight of flight grip.

I have for example VKB MCG Ultimate in metal and it is heavy construction than other grips and the 200mm extension doesn’t work good with it (200mm is very good with my other VKG plastic grips).

If you want best setup for flying helicopters or warbirds, you have to use flight seat. Or cut the car seat a little to have long extension.

Attachments

• Flight - 1.jpeg
    Flight - 1.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
There are always compromises when trying for a generic rig.

Fortunately my Virpil Alpha R grip is ballistic plastic and much lighter than my solid metal WartHog Stick and yet it's much higher quality. Virpil has an Alpha Prime stick available now in all metal and it is only 100g heavier, but fortunately Virpil values light weight, so I'm hopefully this won't be too lopsided in action.

I think the Alpha is 300g, the Alpha Prime is 400g and the Warthog is 1000g.

The CM2 has multiple cams and strong springs to support extension tubes well, so I'm hopeful that I can find settings that work well enough. As I said the CM3 has adjustable friction on both axis as well.

It would be impossible for me to run a straight extension pipe on my rig. It would interfere with the frame supporting the Race Bass tactile plate under my seat.

So I'll do the best I can with compromises I need to make.

Last edited:
There are always compromises when trying for a generic rig.

Fortunately my Virpil Alpha R grip is ballistic plastic and much lighter than my solid metal WartHog Stick and yet it's much higher quality. Virpil has an Alpha Prime stick available now in all metal and it is only 100g heavier, but fortunately Virpil values light weight, so I'm hopefully this won't be too lopsided in action.

I think the Alpha is 300g, the Alpha Prime is 400g and the Warthog is 1000g.

The CM2 has multiple cams and string springs to support extension tubes well, so I'm hopeful that I can find settings that work well enough. As I said the CM3 has adjustable friction on both axis as well.

It would be impossible for me to run a straight extension pipe on my rig. It would interfere with the frame supporting the Race Bass tactile plate under my seat.

So I'll do the best I can with compromises I need to make.

understand. Compromise is not easy to find.
I am sure you will like the extension for your new cycliq!

Last edited:
as a fellow henseleit owner, you obviously know quality and I figured I should pay attention to your posts, lol. I actually implemented your magswitch idea into my own rig, and used the magmount 300 to mount my CM2. I originally mounted it to my racebass plate, but going to mount a small plate for a longer term solution. Thanks again for the tip on magswitches.

Attachments

• 08330034-54E9-4716-A82D-5F3F79667E5F.jpeg
    08330034-54E9-4716-A82D-5F3F79667E5F.jpeg
    697.3 KB · Views: 47
Another thing I'm considering is a counter balance if it's necessary. It should be easy to implement. There are two bolts just above the base of the extension pipe. Once I have the diameter of the pipe, I should be able to easily 3D print a form fitting mount with appropriate bolt holes. Then I would just use slightly longer bolts and an appropriate counter weight with a short lever arm.

For example I have a couple 100g calibration weights that are 23mm in diameter. I could easily fit them to the extension tube like this. I would initially print a sliding mechanism to dial in the appropriate counter weight and once I had the proper length I could print a solid piece.

However I like the idea of having something more like a 500g weight that is closer in.

1663836437845.png

Last edited:
I'm printing out a small test verification (yellow)for a mount and if it fits well then I'll print the whole mount (red). This is just to get the positioning right, so I'll probably hollow it out. Then once I know where the bolt holes should be I'll reinforce the large sliding area that isn't structurally sound.

Once I get the height set and decide if this will work, then I'll see about setting up a counter weight. I ordered some additional calibration weights that should arrive tomorrow.

1663951354377.png

Perfect fit! Starting the next print!
perfectfit_8571.jpg

New left vs. current right below.

Obviously I haven't gotten to figuring out a quick release system yet, but I have a few ideas.
1663953418325.png

This would be a pretty bulky quick release system.
Still thinking about it....

1663955342242.png

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play