Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

My datalogger arrived DOA. My replacement should be here on Friday.
I at least got the software installed and got to see the device.

The magnet it uses to hold itself in place is very strong. It should stay put during testing.

To offer some possible help, or at least info, here is some links I rembered from a while ago...

This guy is a bit of an expert on that topic and his blogs / website covers various professional hardware like this and also different software options.

The reality is, it is an area that can be very expensive in having equipment/sensors that may be accurate, or operate well enough for the frequencies or usage case we have. Although, those more with a mechanical/engineering background may find it interesting.

iPad also had some nice software options, Signalscope used to be quite excellent but now gets bad reviews as it went pay monthly. IIRC it worked with industry based sensors as well as audio interfaces/microphones with various spectrum analysis options.

Last edited:
Data logger? I missed that bit?… what data logger have you ordered please?
It was a VB300.

This guy is a bit of an expert on that topic and his blogs / website covers various professional hardware like this and also different software options.
I have a friend who is heavily into measurements with lasers, sonar, optical tracking etc.. suggested something like the Fluke 805 with external magnetic sensor. The combination is about $4,000. He said I might even consider renting the equipment. He is extremely well equipped, but is near Dallas, TX.

The VB300 on that linked page didn't have any supporting information about why it was ranked low other than suggesting they have older technology and didn't offer a good value. I realize that it can only measure 0-60Hz frequencies because of its 200Hz sample frequency and that is definitely a limitation, but it should give me some reasonable metrics.

The reason I picked the VB300 is that is comes with a strong magnetic mount I can just put on my seat plate. The sensor can be removed from the magnetic mount without disturbing where it is mounted for consistent measurements. The lower ~$200 cost and windows software it came with to read the results by USB helped push me in this direction.

Perfect? Not even close, but still an empirical measurement that can be compared.
Given some of this will be based on my being able to maintain a constant brake pedal pressure for a series of measurements, I think it will be accurate enough. Unless I could rig up a reverse clamp to press against the pedal... Hmmm.. Still I think having my weight in the seat will have an impact as well. Granted I could use sand bags or something as well.

Last edited:
I had never noticed this before.
I just clicked it to see what happens.

My guess is that Google will stop promoting my videos without ads and viewership will take a nose dive.
Let's see what happens.

clicktoDemonetize.jpg

<sigh>

Apparently YT punishes you if you remove ads from your videos. My videos watches per hour fell off a cliff after I turned off the ads :(

I turned ads back on. What's the point of saving people from ads if no one actually sees the videos.

I'm betting at the top of the next hour there will be a sudden rally of views...

Edit: There was a rally when I turned it back on... Google is there to make money and not just host videos for free or at least it won't promote them if they can't make their dime off them.

Last edited:
There is a limit to all good things.

With motion turned up and FFB turned up and my 6 point harness cinched down very tight, I can get to the point where I feel like my shoulders are being ripped apart.

Straps should not be pulling down on shoulders;
rollers should angle straps so that they pull back and slightly up.

That is a good point, and I probably should have thought about this sooner.

I could drill two new M6 holes and raise my G-Belt up maybe 1.5" or so. Currently I have the seatbelt centered in the slot. The extra height could be more comfortable.

Unfortunately my seat top bends back at the edge of where it is currently mounted. To move it up, I would need a spacer and adapter plate of some kind. Looks like something that would require a lot more work than just drilling a pair of new holes :(

Last edited:
OK, I have an idea for an adjustable seat belt lifting mechanism that fits into the G-Belt enclosure. Something to do while I wait for my replacement Data Logger. LOL!

G-BeltInternals.jpg

Last edited:
This should fit inside the slot and raise the belt by 30mm.
A piece of wide UHMW tape should keep the belt sliding pretty well.

1712771837449.png

it actually fits well in the G-Belt and lifts the belt a reasonable amount, but I think I need a 2 piece solution so I can extend the belt support forward more. As this is it just barely fits under the bar in place. I'd like maybe 10mm more height and 30mm more extension forward.

G-BeltLift9798.jpg

Last edited:
I tried something else that got too complicated. I pretty well nailed the form factor that actually fits in the enclosure on my first attempt.

So I've put UHMW tape on the first one and installed it with some caulk. Printing the 2nd. Then I'll test to see if it relieves any pressure

G-BeltSpace_9807.jpg

Last edited:
Are you shure the "infill part" is formfitting enough to withstand the pressure that crushes your shoulders?
I´d suggest to make it wider than the belt through hole (only on the belt tensioner side) so that it can´t be pulled through the hole.

Are you shure the "infill part" is formfitting enough to withstand the pressure that crushes your shoulders?
I´d suggest to make it wider than the belt through hole (only on the belt tensioner side) so that it can´t be pulled through the hole.
Not a bad idea to widen the part inside the G-Belt.

Let me see how it works as is first. I realized something after installing the 2nd belt spacer. I can make this a lot larger and extend it forward. I just need to pull the arms back as far as they go. Doh!

The seat slot opening is narrower than the hole in the G-Belt, so if I want to extend out towards the seat, I need to narrow the section that extends forward. More measurements for another day.

Data logger should arrive tomorrow, but unfortunately I have a lot of work to do.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back