Mazda MX-3

Cars Mazda MX-3 0.3 WIP

Login or Register an account to download this content
tbear2500 submitted a new resource:

Mazda MX-3 (work in progress) - A small, lightweight hatchback from the early 1990s

View attachment 607773

This is my attempt to make my real car driveable in Assetto Corsa. Right now it's a work in progress but I'll be unable to work on it for a few months and a few folks have been asking about it so I want to make what I already have available. There's certainly a long way to go, but as-is the car is quite driveable. To give you an idea, here's the current to-do list:

Model

• Interior
  • Wheels
  • Textures...

Read more about this resource...

Hey mate, watching this with excitement. :)

My MX-3 sadly isn't running currently, but I still remember how it drives compared to my MX-5 NB.

I can help out with testing and perhaps provide some hi-res textures from my car. Sadly I'm useless with Blender and actual UV mapping.

I'm also willing to dig up any technical data we might need.

As a suggestion and pertinent to technical data, it would be great to include these engines as variations:
- B6D: the stock 107bhp 1.6 inline-4
- K8: the stock 136bhp 1.8 V6
- KLZE: the 200bhp 2.0 V6 engine swap that was all the rage back in the day

If you take it into account when doing 3D work, consider separate rear spoiler/wing and front airdam/lip, since it would be easy to show the RS/B6D variation without the wing and dam, while the GS/V6 would show these add-ons. I realise you could get the RS with the wing and dam, but some people prefer the sleeker design and it would differentiate the base model. (I've tried making some car variations before, so I could perhaps help out with packing these variations as appropriate).

Feel free to hit me up for brainstorming or any help I can provide. Again, really wanna see this made. :)

Cheers,
Ozz

I noticed your car has see though panels. The way I fixed it on some buildings on my track is to copy all the areas that can be seen from both sides. (if you use blender shift d, then the copy is highlighted and flip the normals, your car won't be see though.)

Primeiramente Parabéns!!!
Sou muito fã do MX-3 Poderia fazer o 1.6 DOHC e 1.8 V6 e quem sabe uma versão modificada com o 2.5 KLDE ou KLZE.
Posso te ajudar no que precisar.

Last edited:
Great work, keep it up! I'd love to drive my irl car in AC
if you need any interior pics or info just ask!
1672446111908.png

Hey all, I figured I should throw an update on here. I have made some progress on the 3D model, though not much. I also got my car on a set of scales and updated the weight accordingly... 1987lbs (901kg) with full fuel and no driver! To be fair though, I have removed about 300 pounds of interior parts and unneeded accessories. Unfortunately for this project, my free time is very focused on my real life car, as I recently registered (and paid the entry fee) for my first race and I still need to finish the roll cage and a handful of other things. I'll have another update in the next few weeks with some interior improvements (i.e. it will be more than nothing) but that will be about it for now.

Ozz - thanks for the offer. I'm not sure just what technical data you're able to find, but the biggest things that would help are the CG height (I'm able to get the X/Y location from the corner weights I took on my car, though it is substantially modified), aerodynamic properties, and torque curves for all the engine options. I'm hoping to get my car (B6-ME, SOHC, should be 88hp, and what I modeled this after) to a dyno at some point - for now it's just using a B6 Miata dyno printout I found, with the whole thing slightly lower and the top end dropping off because that's where I assume the SOHC head would lose more power. I think other than that everything should be pretty accurate. The thing I need the most help with is definitely the 3D model. That took me forever, and trying to add an interior is also taking forever. I am not skilled with Blender.

Last edited:
Heya, took me a while to notice the reply. :)

First I'd like to mention https://mx-3.com/ - it's an ancient website, but still has some useful stuff on it.

One useful thing might be this spec sheet from a magazine. There's also mention of steering ratio changes in the text.
cd-08-91_06.jpg

Then, courtesy of dragtimes.com we have a dyno sheet for a stock V6 - there's WHP and BHP.

14670-1997-Mazda-MX3-Dyno.jpg

And just to confirm, a very lightly modified (ECU+exhaust) V6 from Corksport:
dyno1.jpg

1.8 V6 K8-DE SPECS
Local magazine tested a V6 in 1993:
Top speed in 5th: 200km/h
1000 meters from 40km/h rolling start in 4th gear: 33,8 seconds @ 163 km/h
1000 meters from 40km/h rolling start in 5th gear: 37,4 seconds @ 146 km/h
Braking distance from 150km/h 97.4meters
Braking distance from 100km/h 43,7meters

You can see accelerations yourself (Pospeški), the last figure is 1000 meter drag race from a dead stop.
1692571924405.png

left graph: torque curve on top in Nm, numbers on right
left graph: power curve on bottom in kW, numbers on left
both graphs: RPM numbers bottom
right graph: gearbox ratios, speeds in km/h on left
1692572015318.png

Gear ratios:
1st: 3.310
2nd: 1.830
3rd: 1.310
4th: 1.030
5th: 0.837
reverse: 3.170
diff 4.390
wheels 6J x 15
tyres 205/55/15
rolling diameter 1.9 meters
speed at 1000RPM in 5th gear: 30.2 km/h
turning radius 10,6m
Fuel capacity: 50 liters
Steering wheel diameter 360mm
Empty vehicle weight (dry or wet unspecified) 1125kg

Attachments

• 1692571757108.png
    1692571757108.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
1.6L 16V SOHC B6-(ME?) SPECS
Some info about the 1.6L 16V SOHC B6-(ME?) MX-3 from a local magazine, tested in 1992:

Dyno chart is a bit funny; torque (upper curve) in Nm is numbered on the right and completely offset from power (lower curve) in kW numbered on the left. The figures given by magazine are:
66kW / 90HP @ 5300RPM
135Nm @ 4000RPM

mx-3-2.PNG

Some other stats for the same model. Top speed 176 kmh was achieved in 5th gear. 1000 meters from a standing start took 32,7 seconds at 151km/h. The last set of stats is a test over 1000 meters, starting at 40km/h, 36.4s @ 149km/h in 4th gear and 40,2s @ 135km/h in 5th gear.

mx-3-3.PNG

Gear ratios:
1st) 3.416
2nd) 1.842
3rd) 1.290
4th) 1.028
5th) 0.820
reverse 3.214
diff 4.105
wheels 5.5 J x 14
tyres 185/65 R14
tyre circumference 1.87m
speed at 1000 RPM in 5th gear 32,4km/h
braking distance from 100km/h 48,8m

Same car, gearbox diagram... km/h numbers on left:
mx-3-gearbox.PNG

Weight: 1030 kg "empty vehicle" (does not specify dry or wet)
Fuel capacity: 50 liters
Turning circle: 10.6 meters
Steering: 2.8 turns lock-to-lock
Steering wheel diameter: 375mm

Last edited:
HORSEPOWER & OTHER MEASUREMENT NOTES

Oh, just heads up in case the 88 vs 90 HP figures confuse anyone:

I'm in Europe so my magazine numbers are metric HP (also PS or CV) which are 1.4% smaller than US SAE Horsepower. On top of that, there might be emissions equipment differences and fuel octane differences.

Cheatsheet

1 kW = 1000 Watts
1 metric HP = 735 Watts
1 US HP = 746 Watts
1 Nm (newton meter) = 0.737562149 ft-lb
1 ft-lb = 1.36 Nm
1 centimeter = 0.393700787 inches
1 inch = 2.54 centimeters
1 mph = 1.609344 km/h
1 km/h = 0.621371192 mph

Last edited:
AERO PROPERTIES POST
Only rudimentary numbers from ecomodder.com so far. Also included some other Mazdas that are already in AC, maybe code and performance can be compared.

I am thinking the effects of these can be validated by comparing the in-game car to magazine tests of acceleration posted above.

mx-3-cda-header.png

mx3-cda-table.png

Last edited:
Wow, that's some really good stuff.

Unfortunately the racecar has been more of an undertaking than I'd anticipated (who could have seen that coming?), and I haven't had any time to work on this. I did put the car on a set of airplane scales (so I could only weigh three wheels at a time and had to raise the fourth wheel 3" while doing so) before I put the roll cage in and it came out pretty close to 600 pounds (270kg) on each front wheel and 400 pounds (180kg) on each rear wheel, with no driver and a full tank of gas (minus what it took to drive a few blocks home from the gas station). The cage almost certainly added a bit, but I also had to take out the windows and some other bits so the net weight increase is probably pretty small, I'm guessing 20-30 pounds. I'm working hard to get the car running again by the end of the week (just a few wires left to connect, but I have to get good grommets for them through the firewall still) and I'm hoping I can get it on the dyno at this weekend's cars and coffee. If not, I'll rely on the power/tq curves you shared. The torque for the 1.6 looks really funky.

Anyway, as for actual updates, I'm going to shoot for the end of October. By then the race I've been prepping for will be over and I won't be doing any more racing until mid-next year, so I'll be able to take a break from working on the car.

Well, I once again missed my own update timeline. Rest assured I haven't forgotten about this, I just haven't had time to work on it much recently. I'm trying to make the 3D model... err, not terrible, but Blender is kicking my butt when I do have a chance to work on it. Top priority is the interior since that's non-existent in the uploaded model, and I'm making progress but it's really slow.

1708708382687.png

I bought a much higher quality 3D model online, but the the interior from that is going to be tricky to use (and, frankly, not very good). The body and wheels are going to be very useful if I can reduce the number of triangles in it (it started at ~836,000 and I've gotten it down to... 817,423, though that includes the interior). I'm trying to make this an exact copy of my 24 Hours of Lemons car, and the model is a European version with fog lights and Euro side markers, but I can let that slide if it gets me a sufficiently higher quality model with sufficiently less work. The trouble with that is, with how much I'll have to simplify the geometry to get the poly count to something reasonable, it might be just as much work as trying to make my own 3D scan look good enough.

1708708482911.png

I'm also going to be putting the whole thing (less the huge Blender file) on GitHub soon to simplify issue tracking and let you all see my progress as it happens, and even allow for user contributions should anyone be so ambitious. Unfortunately I have two copies of the project files in different places and I'll have to sort through them to figure out what's most up to date. You'd think I'd have seen this coming and put the whole thing under version control from the start since I've been a software developer and familiar with such for a decade now, but for whatever reason I did not.

stankinator updated Mazda MX-3 with a new update entry:

Incremental Model Improvements

It's been a long time since I've updated, but I've finally made enough progress it feels like it's worth doing.

I bought a model of an MX-3 on CGTrader, and while it has a lot more detail than the one I put together, lots of things just don't seem quite right about it. Some of that is certainly because it's a Euro spec car and has different bumpers and lights, but some things just don't seem to line up. I was, however, able to use the wheels, so it wasn't completely worthless (and I may yet...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I appreciate the work you're putting into this car. I have a Canadian market v6 mx-3 and would love to help if there's anything you need. I'm a mechanic by trade and I'm just starting out modding AC.

stankinator updated Mazda MX-3 with a new update entry:

Suspension fix

I suppose it should have been obvious from looking at the car what the problem with the rear suspension was - the ride height was way too high and the suspension was near what is in reality full droop all the time.

View attachment 734184
Clearly this is not right
View attachment 734185

Lowering that improved handling tremendously. I've also made a few small changes to the model (mostly using my own wheels since the ones I...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I haven't played it, but I see the car has holes.
The materials must be double sided.

In 3DSimED

Import as objects
import as objects.jpg

Edit materials or Batch Edit
Double Sided = True
Export all objects to a new folder
double sided.jpg

The holes are mostly there because I haven't gotten to those parts yet. I haven't made them double-sided (though I didn't know there was a way to do that - thanks for the tip) because the inside surface isn't supposed to be the same as the outside (in most cases) and I haven't gotten to making the inside yet.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.