Login or Register an account to download this content
Ben Dovah submitted a new resource:

MASERATI 250F 6c 'GLITTERATI'. - Polished metal old timey racing cars

Ben Dovah Garages
Proudly presents

MASERATI 250F 6c

GLITTERATI

ITB6qsA.jpg

I've managed to simulate an almost chrome/brushed metal look without editing any of Kuno's files.
It's far from a perfect effect, but I like how it looks.
...​

Read more about this resource...

First off, amazing texture work! before I review it I'd like to know why it looks so different in game than your previews posted here.

Your preview looks amazing:

ITB6qsA.jpg

But this is how it looks in game:

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_6cyl_sandev_f3ct_24-5-118-10-9-0.jpg

I'm using gbW Suite, though it doesn't affect the way shader works. Here it seems something's missing for the chrome effect to work properly.

First off, amazing texture work! before I review it I'd like to know why it looks so different in game than your previews posted here.

Your preview looks amazing:

ITB6qsA.jpg

But this is how it looks in game:

View attachment 252896

I'm using gbW Suite, though it doesn't affect the way shader works. Here it seems something's missing for the chrome effect to work properly.

Hi A3DR,

Those preview shots are taken using the 'Update previews' feature in content manager.
OEzT5hx.png

It adds better lighting effects than the standard showroom and makes your preview look fantastic.

Be sure to hit the little arrow and select options. It will open and let you set pretty much everything.

If you just hit the actual update previews button it will run a batch file and update all the previews for that car.... annoying.

Hi A3DR,

Those preview shots are taken using the 'Update previews' feature in content manager.
OEzT5hx.png

It adds better lighting effects than the standard showroom and makes your preview look fantastic.

Be sure to hit the little arrow and select options. It will open and let you set pretty much everything.

If you just hit the actual update previews button it will run a batch file and update all the previews for that car.... annoying.

Thanks but I believe I have a certain idea of how CM works, after all I've created a couple of cars for AC already... :roflmao:

I was a bit excited to see that someone actually figured out how to make that chrome effect to work in game, so it's a disappointment to see we don't get what we see in your previews in other place other than Content Manager.

Not that it's your fault, your texture work is excellent, I get that AC has a lot of limitations. That's why after seeing your previews I was hoping you figured out a way to make it look that good while racing.

Thanks but I believe I have a certain idea of how CM works, after all I've created a couple of cars for AC already... :roflmao:

I was a bit excited to see that someone actually figured out how to make that chrome effect to work in game, so it's a disappointment to see we don't get what we see in your previews in other place other than Content Manager.

Not that it's your fault, your texture work is excellent, I get that AC has a lot of limitations. That's why after seeing your previews I was hoping you figured out a way to make it look that good while racing.

Yea, as I said in the description it's far from a perfect effect.
I made sure to add some unedited screens to the description page to show how it looks in game.

I just couldn't help adding the preview shots. they look so cool. :laugh::laugh:

Yea, as I said in the description it's far from a perfect effect.
I made sure to add some unedited screens to the description page to show how it looks in game.

I just couldn't help adding the preview shots. they look so cool. :laugh::laugh:

LOL I know, I try to keep CM settings to a minimum otherwise is easy to get spoiled by the better looks of it, still find it funny how it actually looks better than the game itself :geek:

Ben Dovah updated MASERATI 250F 6c 'GLITTERATI'. with a new update entry:

Added coloured models and a few little fixes.

This update adds the 'Green Goblin' and a 'replica* Fangio' driven car.
*I've taken quite a few liberties with the Fangio skin... so it's a replica.
meV1DJg.jpg

Ay, whatcha do to my beautiful car??
Fangio. Probably.

I've also added a tweed seat to the 'Blank Cheque' skin. You can add it to any other car or replace it with the olde' leather one by swapping out the Canvas_D.dds in the skin folder.

I also um.... fixed...

Read the rest of this update entry...

my two cents on the matter
i believe it's possible to make the car looks ingame like your CM preview
but it would require to change the fresnel parameters of the car... editing the kn5 in other words :/
(CM allows you to edit material values actually in CM showroom, maybe try something there, and make a guide for advanced user to achieve this look ?)

i couldn't find a way to make a material in ksEditor with good ratio of nice carpaint / chrome effect
it's always one or the other...

So say, if you were to have only this chrome/used effect, you could have a car material good for this, but then the painted one wouldn't look nice anymore.
This statement above is as far as my knowledge and trial and error goes :p

i improved it since then, but that's the only screenshot i have from the exhaust of my 7, and i got the effect of fading from chrome to matte effect, i think, following this idea you could make something good ingame with yours!
http://benobro.org/sub/7mod_exhaust_mtl.png

my two cents on the matter
i believe it's possible to make the car looks ingame like your CM preview
but it would require to change the fresnel parameters of the car... editing the kn5 in other words :/
(CM allows you to edit material values actually in CM showroom, maybe try something there, and make a guide for advanced user to achieve this look ?)

i couldn't find a way to make a material in ksEditor with good ratio of nice carpaint / chrome effect
it's always one or the other...

So say, if you were to have only this chrome/used effect, you could have a car material good for this, but then the painted one wouldn't look nice anymore.
This statement above is as far as my knowledge and trial and error goes :p

i improved it since then, but that's the only screenshot i have from the exhaust of my 7, and i got the effect of fading from chrome to matte effect, i think, following this idea you could make something good ingame with yours!
http://benobro.org/sub/7mod_exhaust_mtl.png

Well there you go.
Next on my list is actually messing with one of your Caterhams to see what I could achieve with the existing chrome you've added to the mod.

I don't know a single thing about kn5 files yet but did manage to do something like this (matte to gloss) on the (funnily enough) exhaust of the lawnmower.
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/honda-lawn-mower.20923/

Yea, they're really big rust blobs but I'm guessing it might work for tiny scratches (or whatever) in the specular map. That was what I was going to try on the Caterham.

We'll see. If it works it could look really good. :thumbsup:

Well there you go.
Next on my list is actually messing with one of your Caterhams

aha that would be fun
but you see that's a good example, if i'm not mistaken, the academy & r500 do not have proper chrome, but the 1700ss has a good chrome effect. (165 as well)

kn5 is just files all together.
What's missing is a map that could change the Fresnel value, at the moment it's set within the kn5.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 32 19.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 30 18.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 11 6.8%