Low FPS

Hey everyone!
I recently got myself GTR2 through steam and installed the GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH, at first i was having massive issues with fps that i managed to fix by changing the affinity in the task manager, after that i had 60-120fps, however after a while they suddenly went down and now im somewhere between 30-58 or something, i also noticed that everytime i go over Kerbs im having huge drops and ocasionally the game freezes completely for a few seconds.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?

My specs are the following:
Intel i7-4790
nvidia gtx 1070ti
32gb of ram

What do you mean by "after a while" ?
You can (very) easily break or mess up a gtr2 install if you do not pay attention to the different mods you drop in gtr2 folder : I mean that some mods are not compatible with others and can ruin your install.
My advice is to have at least 2 gtr2 installs : your main one with your preferred (fully working good) mods and a kind of temp gtr2 install to test new mods. So when your test gtr2 install is broken then delete it, make a new fresh one and throw to the bin the bad mod which broke the previous gtr2 test. This is the safer way to not corrupt your main gtr2 install and to not reinstall all from crash.

Moreover FPS are not always the same as it depends a lot of the content you are talking about. I mean stock gtr2 game (and also my HQ Patch, and Power&Glory3) is a low polygons content made for 2006 PC era so you must have around 100fps and more with your specs (depends on graphics settings). But if you talk about high polygons AC/rf2 cars/tracks conversions then gtr2 engine is limited to 4gb RAM contrary to AC/rf2 engines which can use 16gb RAM and so performance will be much slower in gtr2.

Third point, do you use CrewChief plugin or any other particular plugin ? Some plugins can reduce drastically your fps if you do not set them right so read the readmes and the different options these plugins can propose.

Hey! Thank you for your reply.
Im not really sure how to describe "after a while", i just changed the cpu affinity, then the game was running good and after a few laps the fps dropped.

At the moment i just have one install of GTR2 that i really use (And a vanilla one like is recommended in the readme of your HQ Patch) and that is fully clean except your HQ Patch of course.

About the plugins: I'd have to check again, but im pretty sure i haven't activated anything i dont need (For example the CrewChief plugin).

You do need something as it looks like your are running on a single core.
Gtr2 are a old program that was designed for single core but greatly benefits from using multiply cores.
Ether runoff or Process Lasso to make Gtr2.exe run on 2 or all cores.
Or the Crew Chief plugin for gtr2 steam version and or the Companion 2 app for the none steam gtr2.
You will gain 2 time the fps and the fps will be much more stable. You can then limited the fps to a fps you system can easy handle for a even more smooth game play.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 17 11.9%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 15 10.5%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 15 10.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Friday

Votes: 52 36.4%
  • Saturday

Votes: 84 58.7%