Looking at upgrading... crikey, I need it!

So with all the news around the nvidia 30 series, it got my thinking this IS the right time to upgrade.

I only play AMS2 at the moment, although I do have AC and rF2 so I need to consider them. VR is definitely next on the list after the PC and Im looking at the G2.

Question is, I’m thinking along the lines of an i5 10600k and a 3070, my budget is maxed at around £1500. Would this combo be sensible on this budget or should I sell another internal organ to get the 3080 considering I would like to max out in VR with solid FPS?

Right now I run a rather old i5 3330, 8gb ram and a GTX1070 on triple 1080’s. VR is a must in the future and I have never had the chance to run anything smoothly on anything but low settings.

Appreciate you valued opinions.

So with all the news around the nvidia 30 series, it got my thinking this IS the right time to upgrade.

I only play AMS2 at the moment, although I do have AC and rF2 so I need to consider them. VR is definitely next on the list after the PC and Im looking at the G2.

Question is, I’m thinking along the lines of an i5 10600k and a 3070, my budget is maxed at around £1500. Would this combo be sensible on this budget or should I sell another internal organ to get the 3080 considering I would like to max out in VR with solid FPS?

Right now I run a rather old i5 3330, 8gb ram and a GTX1070 on triple 1080’s. VR is a must in the future and I have never had the chance to run anything smoothly on anything but low settings.

Appreciate you valued opinions.
You'll be fine with the 3070. I do however recommend getting 32GB of memory. You'll have to buy new memory for your new motherboard anyway.
Also I think a Ryzen 5 3600 would be a better option than the i5 10600k.

Upvote 0
You'll be fine with the 3070. I do however recommend getting 32GB of memory. You'll have to buy new memory for your new motherboard anyway.
Also I think a Ryzen 5 3600 would be a better option than the i5 10600k.

Hi Enzo

Thank you for the reply. I thought the 3070 might be fine, I can always update but I wanted the rest of the system to last me a while (not as long as my current machine I hasten to add!).

Sure, I understand the recommendation for 32GB ram but the AMD vs Intel thing...I thought Intel were better for sim racing? I would gladly adopt AMD due to the savings so would you recommend 3600 or 3600X please?

Again, thanks for your input.

Upvote 0
Hi Enzo

Thank you for the reply. I thought the 3070 might be fine, I can always update but I wanted the rest of the system to last me a while (not as long as my current machine I hasten to add!).

Sure, I understand the recommendation for 32GB ram but the AMD vs Intel thing...I thought Intel were better for sim racing? I would gladly adopt AMD due to the savings so would you recommend 3600 or 3600X please?

Again, thanks for your input.
The "X" has a better standard cooler included with it and slightly higher clock speeds, but it's the same chip.

Keep in mind that you will have to upgrade the entire system if you want to get your money's worth out of the RTX3070. The card will be incredibly bottlenecked if you don't and you'll barely see a performance increase compared to your 1070.

Upvote 0
I had every intention of building a new system but I am unsure of components. I guess that is what I need support with in these forums. It’s a minefield if you don’t have the know how. Thanks

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back