Latest Fanatec drivers support old wheel and why I still buy Fanatec

Authense

So fast I am slow
When I ran into Windows 10 64bit issues with my Fanatec CSR and Pedals I contacted Fanatec support this summer. They advised me to use the latest 3.11 driver from current products and explained that they are not adding new drivers to the product pages of discontinued wheels. The latest 3.11 drivers solved my issue. In my case this means, that the latest drivers are backward compatible at least for the CSR.

Comments on the Fanatec CSR:
  • Got mine sometime back in 2012 including the pedals
  • Great product and I never had any mechanical issues
  • Support has always been available to me
  • Support improved – especially this year when I contacted them again
  • Short waiting for answers and a follow up by the same person
Good job, Fanatec.

I have asked the Fanatec support to add a link somewhere that old products could benefit from latest drivers. Until now they haven’t done this for the CSR. I understand this from a legal perspective as such announcement could support a misleading notion, that newest drivers are fully compatible with discontinued products and that would include testing on their part which is a cost factor. A discontinued and no longer supported product does not require any vendor to do so - in all fairness.

I think it is worth a try for all users regardless of which discontinued Fanatec wheel they own, they can still uninstall and revert back to the last driver on the product page.

I personally find Fanatec's conduct a little unfair towards users who cannot afford an expensive new wheel just now and still want to enjoy their Fanatec wheel and it also motivates them to switch brand. From a business perspective I therefore find their policy less than adequate. Just my personal opinion.

This leads me to the second point as to why I still got me a CSW 2.5 including a wheel and v3 pedals for over 1000 bucks knowing how Fanatec seems to treat this topic?

My personal research indicated that CSW 2.5 is one of the best belt-driven wheel bases I could buy - yet it is expensive. But trusting in the good experience with the quality of my CSR I speculated and ordered. In Germany I could have sent it back and get my money within 2 weeks of shipping, therefore no risk involved other than time for testing.

The CSW 2.5 has delivered on all my expectations and so do the wheel and the pedals.

When it comes to customer support I think they have come a long way - given negative comments from other users in various forums - and I am personally very happy with them coming from the CSR support I received. This time, they have again answered a few questions about the new combo within 24 hrs and the Dev continued the support until I was happy. That might also have to do with the fact that the first 2 weeks are critical in Germany as I have explained above. Nevertheless, good job again.

I am posting this so that my dear racing friends might have a chance to continue using older wheels with latest drivers until they can afford buying a new base if they wish.

Hope you find this interesting.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea