Justin Wilson 1978 - 2015

wilson header.jpg

The RaceDepartment community sends its sincerest condolences to the family, friends, loved ones, and fans of distinguished former IndyCar and F1 driver Justin Wilson, who died Monday night after sustaining fatal head injuries in an accident during the IndyCar Series 500 mile race at Pocono Raceway. He was 37 years old.

A statement from Wilson's family was released shortly after 09:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, and reads as follows:

Allentown, Penn.
24 August 2015

With deep sadness, the parents of Justin Wilson, Keith and Lynne, his wife Julia, and his brother Stefan share the news that Justin passed away today after succumbing to injuries suffered during the Verizon IndyCar event at Pocono Raceway on Sunday, August 23.

Justin was a loving father and devoted husband, as well as a highly competitive racing driver who was respected by his peers.

The family would like to thank the staff at the Lehigh Valley Health Network Cedar Crest Hospital, Pocono Raceway, Andretti Autosport, and the Verizon IndyCar Series as well as the entire racing community for the amazing outpouring of support from fans around the world.

His team, Andretti Autosport, also released a statement on Monday night:

We are deeply saddened by the passing of Justin Wilson. He was a tremendous racer, a valuable member of the team and respected representative to our sport. While Justin was only part of the Andretti lineup for a short time, it only took a second for him to forever become part of the Andretti family. His life and racing career is a story of class and passion surpassed by none. Our thoughts and prayers remain with the Wilson family and fans worldwide.

Godspeed, JW.

16C_7865.jpg

Justin Wilson, of Sheffield, England, rose from the ranks of Formula 3000 as the series champion in 2001, but his massive stature threatened to keep him from reaching the pinnacle of Formula 1. With a car built to his size and using funds raised from putting his own name on the British stock market, Wilson finally found a Formula 1 opportunity with Minardi in 2003. By the end of the season he was paired with Mark Webber at Jaguar, and scored his only points finish at the United States Grand Prix in Indianapolis.

Then came his detour to North America - where Wilson built his racing legacy. Driving for RuSPORT in the Champ Car World Series, he was a two-time runner up in the championship, winning four races and six pole positions in four seasons, racing alongside the likes of Sebastien Bourdais, Will Power, Ryan Hunter-Reay, and Graham Rahal - who represent the top level of IndyCar drivers today - all of whom won races competing alongside Wilson in 2015.

When Champ Car was absorbed by the IndyCar Series in 2008, Wilson continued his successes and became one of the most formidable underdogs in the series. In 2009, he claimed the first victory for perennial backmarkers Dale Coyne Racing at Watkins Glen. He'd win his second race for the team - claiming what sadly proved to be his final win - at Texas Motor Speedway in 2012, and the following season, he would finish sixth in the championship driving with Coyne - his best result in eight IndyCar seasons. He claimed a total of three wins, two pole positions, and twelve podiums in those eight years and 120 races - the final podium coming just this month at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course for Andretti Autosport.

Wilson was tough, battling through a severe back injury in 2011 to continue his racing career. He was well-traveled, competing in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 12 Hours of Sebring, the 24 Hours of Daytona, the Gold Coast 600 - he even attempted a run at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, and competed in the inaugural Formula E Championship in a one-off effort in Moscow Raceway. But most of all, he was kind beyond measure - a gentle giant to everyone who knew him, giving and caring to all those who loved him dearly even beyond his time on this Earth, and a man who pushed endlessly for the advancement of safety in motorsport.

Just a month removed from the awful death of Jules Bianchi in July, the loss of another great young man, another great racer beloved the world over, and in as shocking a manner as it happened - is an absolute shame.

The family has requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Wilson Children’s Fund care of INDYCAR.

Wilson Children’s Fund
c/o Forum Credit Union
PO Box 50738
Indianapolis, IN 46250-0738

UPDATE: You may also donate online at: http://justinwilson.co.uk/donate

Last edited:
Always sad to hear. Justin was such a good guy! It's a shame drivers are so vuneralble in the cockpits still yet, this tragedy couldn't really have been prevented.

I hate to read this type of news. And worse of it all I was REALLY hopeful of his recovery, his head injury sounded SO similar to Massa's injury back in '09 and he made it back.

My thoughts are with his family.

This is the second death on a in-race incident. First Wheldon's (and I remember crying when he passed away, because I was watching the race live on TV and actually he was a driver I actually liked to cheer for) and now Wilson.

The security changes are coming, mark my words.

I feared but though expected that would happen. The speed was higher than it was in Massa's accident. The part that hit his head was bigger, too.
Only positive thing is that he was unconscous instantly.

Rest in peace!
-
First time i decided to watch this series live for a period. I started watching the race at the restart before the crash, beasically the first thing i saw was the accident and i was concerned instantly about Wilson.... Dang

Didn't watch live as i had been watching motorsports the entire weekend already with the F1 weekend and support classes in full swing... So i forwarded through it later... Not knowing about the incident before, i froze up when i saw it. Realized quite fast what had went down when i saw the car veer off down to the apron on it's own and well... I thought when seeing the replay that it was going to be bad...

Sad, a great talent lost. A very good allround driver.

What a great loss to motorsport. I wanted to remain positive but seeing the incident, especially after the car stopped brought eerie memories of Ratzenberger's crash. Another one taken too soon unfortunately. Hopefully this brings the racing community together in order to find a logical and sensible solution to the open/closed canopy debate. We cannot continue to see drivers succumb because of head injures.

RIP Boss
wils_jagu_r4_2003_2.jpg

• Deleted member 161052

R.I.P. Justin Wilson. Always thinked of him as a Formula One driver.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 6 5.2%