Just built an aluminium rig

Just built myself an aluminium rig.
Sourced all the gear local to me (Middlesbrough UK).
No real design as such, just copied off a few I had seen online.
Thought it would take a couple of hours, but how wrong was I, it took me all day to build.
Total cost £300.

cfe9ab50-3011-4b47-88cf-df9a4263f0eb-jpeg.1132088

0117f5db-a8ba-4dbb-b086-1a02c3455708-jpeg.1132089

Ran out of fixings, so still a few more things to do (are we ever finished?).
Hopefully it should be ok, for when I dabble into SFX-100 full motion.

Last edited:
Due to the weight and how rigid the rig was I couldn't feel the Throne Thumper anywhere near as much as I could on my Playseat, so have mounted the seat on anti vibration mounts, to allow it to 'move' a little more and hopefully will let me feel all the small details the Thumper produces.

4191774d-74d9-43ec-8545-f52507411a0b-jpeg.1135289

Upvote 0
Looks really good!
Loving the colour accents on the alu profile too.
Just wondering if you could post the measurements for this frame?
I'm looking to source some parts locally here in Malaysia and would love an idea of the lengths I would need to make my own rig.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the frame is 1500 long (most are about 1350 long but I wanted a little extra so I had more scope to arrange things my way).
Height of the steering wheel uprights are 600 (again, some are 580, but wanted a little more).
The width is about 520 (cross pieces are 480 plus 20 either side).
The frame is mainly made with 40x80 pieces except for a few 40x40.

I got my inspiration from this, but wanted the pedals to be separate to the wheel support so it was fully adjustable.
https://sim-lab.eu/download/8632/

Upvote 0
Yeah, the frame is 1500 long (most are about 1350 long but I wanted a little extra so I had more scope to arrange things my way).
Height of the steering wheel uprights are 600 (again, some are 580, but wanted a little more).
The width is about 520 (cross pieces are 480 plus 20 either side).
The frame is mainly made with 40x80 pieces except for a few 40x40.

I got my inspiration from this, but wanted the pedals to be separate to the wheel support so it was fully adjustable.
https://sim-lab.eu/download/8632/
Thanks so much for this.
Appreciate it. I'll be putting some orders in shortly

Upvote 0
A nice little rig, good implementation of the isolators.

Quite a bit of the primary energy of the "Throne Unit" will be going into the rear isolators before reaching the seat region.

If you have any extra 8020 I see a simple mod that might further improve the energy to the seat.
Send a PM if interested, no worries if your happy with how it is.

Upvote 0
A nice little rig, good implementation of the isolators.

Quite a bit of the primary energy of the "Throne Unit" will be going into the rear isolators before reaching the seat region.

If you have any extra 8020 I see a simple mod that might further improve the energy to the seat.
Send a PM if interested, no worries if your happy with how it is.

These bobbins actually work VERY well and I can now feel every gear change, road noise engine revs etc. Where before it was too muffled.
I do have spare metal and do like to tinker so would be interested in your idea.
Now I have more distance/clearance under the seat I could possible mount the thumper more central under it.

Upvote 0
This would be along the lines of what I would try and test.
It does raise the seat a bit higher though unless adapting how/where the isolators are installed.
Possibly rotating the cross sections 90 degrees so they are horizontal.

Have an 8020 section as the primary contact to the seat and the shaker attach to this (B*) & (C*) are the points I would test installing the Shaker. You could if you want to extend this (F) to also go to the back of the seat, this will let the energy help enter via the spine of the seat.

If you like the idea of the section to the back/spine then consider trying neodymium magnets and also with industrial velcro as possible options to help the extended frame stick to the seat. Not sure but Id expect some metal inner frame section strong magnets may stick too. Then have a steel plate or form of magnet surface attached to the 8020.

This could help secure this section to your seat and be used to generate a secondary entry point for the tactile and using an additional body zone.

Also consider using a good firm isolator as feet for the whole rig.
These are good and firm

Just ideas, its your rig and your choice how/what you may want to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@ThugUK

Forgot to ask, have you every tried your unit attached for vertical piston operation usage instead of horizontal. It can add a difference but may be worth trying if you haven't already.

Upvote 0
Your unit is installed in that its piston moves left/right and not up/down.
This may affect how it feels but BK with their larger models recommend vertical installation for peak performance.

Upvote 0
Ive seen people use wrench sockets to bolt to a frame and then clamp the unit to that.
One of the things I want to do with my own new build is compare horizontal/vertical installation for certain effects.

Im curious how it may alter the vibration if much and not just bring optimal energy output.

Upvote 0
@ThugUK have you got any videos of your rig in motion? Building my SFX-100 at the moment and only have a PlaySeat Challenge at the moment. Might attach to that for comedy value but love to see an SFX rig in motion if you've got any videos up.

Upvote 0
I do, but to be honest you cant really see much motion at all.
It was my wifes daughter playing PC2 karts in VR, which feels great, but only moves a minimal amount so visually not much to see.
I will still post it though.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes