'Juddery' movement in VR

Hi All, now I have my rig back I am geting around bit by bit to resolving all those little niggling issues that lessen the quality of the experience. Next on the list is the strange juddery movement I get using my HP G2, and this seems to be irrespective of the sim being played.

While it is something that happens continuously, it can be seen most clearly sitting static in the car in the garage, then moving your head. As you do, the view judders rather than giving smooth movement with a curiously double vision effect being generated as if the last and next frames were both being displayed simultaneously.

In racing it manifests itself more as making the distance less crisp, although it by no means renders the sims unplayable

For info I am using the native G2 resolution, 1.5x supersampling (although changing this seems to have no effect on image quality in my experience, maybe I have it set up wrong) and the PC is an i9 9900K running in a Z390 chipset Gigabyte Mobo, 32Gb Corsair 2666 ram, GeForce RTX 3070 from EVGA Corp with 8Gb onboard RAM. No overclocking on any of it

Maybe this is something that can't be dialed out with my current hardware but as ever I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to improve the experience

Cheers

Les

Last edited:
That juddery sensation is usually due to the frame rate of the game being below that of the headset, even if reprojection is on and working quite often you get a juddery movement of the car, which is why IMO if a game can't sustain 90 fps in VR its not playable.

You can confirm the issue with the little SteamVR application and go to developer >advanced frame timing and it will show the GPU/CPU time and if it is exceeding the limit and mark any reprojection, ie dropped frames. In the Steam VR menu inside of VR (press down the stick button) you will find the Windows Mixed reality settings on the bottom left and there you can change whether reprojection is automatic, on or off. You likely want reprojection set on automatic most of the time, occasionally off.

You may find you need to reduce the overrender you have set in SteamVR's menus as well as reducing the supersampling with the G2 since its resolution is already well past 4k and its tough to handle for a modern PC on some of the sims. AC usually runs well with CSP on this sort of hardware but ACC is going to be very difficult to get running well and R3E will require some reduction as will iRacing. I have to reduce on a 3080 with an Odyssey+ and that has half the pixels so you will definitely have to adjust game settings to get it working. But hopefully the quick run on where to see it happening and how badly combined with where you can adjust the reprojection helps.

Thanks, the G2 is a new addition so I have not played around with the settings much. I'll lower everything to start with and increase everything progressively until something changes for the worse

Cheers

Les

Yeah..... You can't run 1.5x super sampling with the G2, the res of the headset is higher than most.

I have a 3080 with a 5900x and depending on the graphics settings in iRacing I don't want to push past 1.2x super sampling.

Hi All, now I have my rig back I am geting around bit by bit to resolving all those little niggling issues that lessen the quality of the experience. Next on the list is the strange juddery movement I get using my HP G2, and this seems to be irrespective of the sim being played.

While it is something that happens continuously, it can be seen most clearly sitting static in the car in the garage, then moving your head. As you do, the view judders rather than giving smooth movement with a curiously double vision effect being generated as if the last and next frames were both being displayed simultaneously.

In racing it manifests itself more as making the distance less crisp, although it by no means renders the sims unplayable

For info I am using the native G2 resolution, 1.5x supersampling (although changing this seems to have no effect on image quality in my experience, maybe I have it set up wrong) and the PC is an i9 9900K running in a Z390 chipset Gigabyte Mobo, 32Gb Corsair 2666 ram, GeForce RTX 3070 from EVGA Corp with 8Gb onboard RAM. No overclocking on any of it

Maybe this is something that can't be dialed out with my current hardware but as ever I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to improve the experience

Cheers

Les
Install fpsVR from the Steam store and take a look at your fps in game...it is diplayed as an overlay in the lower part of the frame.

Hi All

I have been playing around with the games I can get to work and after lowering the supersampling it has improved some, but I find myself to be a little underwhelmed by the G2. Not that it is bad, but I expected more of a jump up from the Rift S.

ACC is definitely an outlier, and it has been documented elsewhere that it's interaction with VR is a bit troublesome. I can certainly verify that in my case, having to lower all the settings just so I could play it in single player mode. Even then it was really poor, I drove Suzuka and trying to make out the track was difficult, as it was so aliased and poor quality.

AC and AMS2 are definitely much better, and with the supersampling set at 1 it is a nice and smooth experience in terms of framerate. AC on the Baku track (single player) content manager is showing over 125 FPS. However the disappointment comes with the quality of the image. The screen door effect is there of course, but frankly so low that you have to try to notice it. The real issue is that despite anti-aliasing set to max, the image quality in terms of jaggies is poor. In ACC it is so bad that judging where the track goes is difficult unless it is close. In AC and AMS2 it is nowhere near that bad, but the edges of the track, track painted lines, distant kerbs, all look like they are being rendered in low definition.

In fact, it is almost like the anti-aliasing is not working sometimes. Is it possible that I have some settings somewhere that overwrites the in game settings? Or does setting them to max result in them not functioning if some other parameter is not correctly set?

This is all being made a bit more difficult by some frustrating other little problems (Dirt 2.0 won't work at all when VR is connected, controller recogntion issues, VR not being centred on game start etc.) so my play time is limited. But if I am doing something obviously wrong please let me know, I am all ears!

Cheers

Les

AC seems to have an aliasing issue with certain things like trees where the MSAA doesn't seem to work correctly. I think its because they are stencils or textures or something like that the trees and terrain are a little weird and the AA isn't applied to them properly. With content manager you can use some post processing AA and that may reduce the effect quite a bit depending on the implementation you choose, some are better at temporal AA problems than others. Usually I don't do this because its outside of the primary action and it costs a bit of performance and can blur the image a little but you may prefer the trade off. Settings > Custom Shaders Patch > Graphic Adjustments and then 3/4 way down is Post-processing antialiasing. Try CMAA 2.0 and follow the note below it.

You may find once you move to PPAA you can remove the MSAA or reduce it to gain some performance back.

I don't know how to fix ACC, its simply not an acceptable performance in VR to do much with, the best way to think about it is that Kunos lied about it having VR support because what they have delivered is unacceptable and they wont be fixing it. I always had issues with Dirt 1 VR and never bought dirt 2 because of it so its another game I can't help with.

The good games in VR are AC, iRacing, AMS2 and PC2.

Last edited:
I've given up on ACC and Dirt 2.0 for VR pro tem, maybe I'll pick them up again sometime but right now it's clear they are not worth pursuing.

However I have been playing around with AC and AMS2 and am definitely warming to them with the G2. One unexpected improvement came when I was messing around with the positioning of the headset. Having read about the FOV, and how using thinner face gaskets gave an improvement I had purchased an aftermarket replacement with a thinner and a standard thickness artificial leather gasket.

Of course, following advice from the internet I went with the thinner gasket. The problem was that I found the sweet spot to be very hard to acheive for both eyes, despite setting the IPD to the minimum (narrow face), and also it was very very sensitive to vertical placement on my face. As I was adjusting it, I pulled the visor forward and away from my eyes, and suddenly noticed that it was a lot easier to get both eyes seeing the sweet spot at the same time.

I swapped to the thicker pleather gasket, and immediately it was far easier to position the visor. The move was a double positive, as honestly I could not sense any decrease in FOV and subjectively there was more of the image in focus.

I still am a little disappointed about aliasing, particularly shadows falling across the track; they are distractingmore than anything, and would still like to improve it.

Nonetheless I am happier with my experience and thought it would be interesting to share the part about the face gasket

Cheers

Les

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back