JSGME - OVGME THREAD

Anything JSGME-OVGME put here , questions, custom mods ...

Before AC was released most people would never used a GME ( Generic Mod enabler) so was like talking to bull in china shop. Now anyone uses AC CM does .....how it comes around

So my first topic is to try and show in a few screens how my system of using blank template and GTR2 as a mod ( GTL\PnG\rFactor ) is best way lol

1. DEFAULT JSGME Method:
activate mods in a existing folder

Result no overwrite warnings so basically we have no clue about overwrites

DEFAULT JSGME - NO WARNINGS.jpg

2. USING GTR2 as a MOD method:
create a Mod from a working GTR2 folder
activate GTR2 Standalone Mod first then other Mods

Result Folder and File overwrite warnings
Some mods will have a 100 folder overwrite warnings so not the best as you would need to scroll the entire list to see all files affected as folders and files both pack alphabetical .....no good as far as quick info goes
( Blank template has 215 folders )

GTR2 MOD  JSGME WARN 01.jpg

GTR2 MOD  JSGME WARN 03.jpg
GTR2 MOD  JSGME WARN 02.jpg

3. USING DD's Patented BLANK TEMPLATE and GTR2 as a MOD method:
Copy template to a blank folder then activate mods same as in #2

Result No Folder warnings, all file overwrite warnings including mods overwriting mods ( example would be overwriting anniversary mod with a different coloured HUD ) So basically you now get only warnings you want none you don't ;)

TEMPLATE METHOD JSGME WARN 01.jpg

TEMPLATE METHOD JSGME WARN 02.jpg

Last edited:
Oh forgot to mention .....

TEMPLATE METHOD JSGME WARN 05.jpg

My method ( #3 ) makes it impossible to deactivate a overwritten mod and it will give you a warning which mods need deactivating first just like you see above

Normal JSGME (#1 ) gives you no such warnings so easy to deactivate a overwritten mod and wreck the install

Good thing is 1 click to disable all and start again ;)

What's the difference between JSGME and OVGME finally ? .... just the author ? ;)
Are there advantages using one compared to the other one ?

Just for info, @Durge Driven and maybe a future change if there are advantages with OVGME compared to JSGME I'm using for years now.

JSGME and OVGME are brilliant. They work with almost any moddable game, as long as mods are released in a format where they assume they start from the game's root folder.

I prefer OVGME because I can save space zipping mods and OVGME can transparently use zips.

Pro Tip:
Use your favourite zipping method instead of OVGME (which annoyingly prompts for version and readme text) and it will be compatible with OVGME. This allows me to right-click on existing folders and choose 7-Zip > Add to X.zip and the zip automatically works with OVGME (just be sure the structure matches the game's root folder structure).

I do wish OVGME was portable like just copy a folder and you copy the configuration but what can you do.

The good thing is OVGME can be in one place and can have a configurable per-game mods source folder and you can switch between games right within the app, no closing and running another instance of ovgme.

Last edited:
Durge's write up is great but I feel it can be simplified even further for newbies:

1. Run OVGME

2. It will prompt for configuration for your game: Fill in Config Root Folder (the game's root folder), Config Mods Folder (the folder where the mods are stored), Config Backup Folder (the folder that store's the game's original backup files that you'll be overwriting).

3. OVGME will start, show you a list of mods, and you just select them and enable/install them. You can disable/uninstall ones that were already enabled/installed.

It can be that easy!

There are more advanced options but that will serve most users for quite a while, I'd think. I have many game profiles setup already and I still only really use that core functionality.

Thanks for your post #4, @Shovas .... finally that's nearly the same difference as between JSGME and Content Manager for AC ... this 2nd one may also use zipped files.

Is OVGME with zipped files as quick as JSGME can be ? .... I just noticed yesterday that for the 1st time I used CM to install 200MO zipped .... it lasted much more time to install compared to JSGME .... unzip in JSGME is just a few second and the activation is mostly different according to the size of the mod and how many folders in which it adds the files.... but anyway much faster than CM.

If it's the same problem with OVGME ... I'll prefer then keeping JSGME .... ( when it lasts too long, ..... I'm inclined to go for a bad thing: .... a smoke ! ;) ... the usual soft one hé but bad for health ! :D )

I'm running an i7 2600k @ 4.2Ghz and using SSDs so...unzipping doesn't feel like it takes a long time...maybe a few seconds up to 10 seconds or so for big files?

Unzipping files should be very fast/efficient on modern CPUs.

What's the difference between JSGME and OVGME finally ? .... just the author ? ;)

Just for info, @Durge Driven and maybe a future change if there are advantages with OVGME compared to JSGME I'm using for years now.

Sorry think Shovas covered everything
I just never like not getting file overwrite warnings for stock files
It is very handy to get all file warnings especially when you make car mods into mods then split them further

CM I have my payware mods (GT /DRM) and others divided into mod base( no skins) , default skins, add on skins and all other 3rd party updates separate

I been doing the exact same thing with gmotor since JSGME ;)

JSGME has it uses and one good feature it is unaffected if you do a fresh OS it has no registry needed

OVGME you need to save the OVGME folder in ProgramData
Safest way is too de-active all mods in all GME

PnG you need to export registry as it is when you shut down system before fresh OS
PnG LINKER BE VERY CAREFUL if you link folders, activate tracks then delete a GTR2 install that still has links enabled you could lose all your actual tracks if you try to fix wrong in PnG menu

I have 60GB 800+ tracks in PnG Linker folder for all 3rd Party but I only activate ones I want to use in what GTR2 folder so GTR2 is fast load always

Even though I won't make mistake again I still archive the entire GamData\Locations to a 2nd backup

Last edited:
This is one way I may use JSGME and OVGME for one folder
I activated my GTR2 for Track linker ( mod has no tracks in it )
So one set of stock tracks for all GTR2 folders and track mods activated through JSGME
That way i don't have to activate every mod in every install
With PnG linker updates automatically go to given location
You can take that further and add track mods to local folders so each can use different track mods
........ but then you would have to update more mods
Not as complicated as it looks

JSGME- OVGME.jpg

How To Backup or Recover OVGME Configs

After upgrading to Windows 10 I thought I had lost all my OVGME Configs and that meant I didn't know which mods were installed anymore and reinstalling them would lose the ability to uninstall back to a clean slate.

After reading the source code over at Github I got the hint that Configs are stored here as just a bunch of files that you can copy:

C:\ProgramData\OvGME

At least on Win7, the folder location might be different on Vista, XP, etc.

Anyway, all I had to do was copy that from my backup to my Windows 10, start OVGME, and all my Configs were back and it still knew which mods I had enabled or not!

I'm so happy I found that it was a major annoyance and I was almost going to go back to JSGME (which stores all config in the same directory as the exe) but now I don't mind this as long as I know I can simply copy the ProgramData\OvGME folder and I'll still have all my configs!

:)

Thanks, what we need is a GME group
You don't have to be a modder to have creative ideas for packaging

One of my favorites, if you use multi resolutions like I do you can make mods
that activate resolution and include XD and GTRmap position to suit each res
It saves every time you change res having to move and resize the plugins

GDB mods too, activate only series you want so no scrolling of series and it will load faster

Thinking I might release GTR2 Essentials v3.0 as beta
With last few HQ and 10th Anni updates mods need renumbering and better order
Like the mods I had at top are included in 10th anni now so they must go below them in the list

Thing that is good using #xx makes it easy to renumber mods in Beyond compare you just filter
first 3/4 digits and it swaps them only cottoned on to that recently used to do them manually

Doh thinking about above just gave me another idea so obvious
All I need do is set all XD, GTRMap in all resolutions properly, copy the files into the config.ini mods
and set READ ONLY doh
For some reason with driver updates when I redid the config for the mods sometimes it moved the plugins positions, should not be able to do that now
Only thing if i want to move plugins xyz need to change read, edit/copy the files back into the mods and set read only again.
Also set config.ini in mods to READ ONLY and sysinfo but that is for OCD :roflmao:

Reason I use various config.ini mods:
720p for GTR2 when working on mods on either screen
So you can have folders open, tools, GME and lots of room and put GTR2 window were you like

1080p is for my 40" TV / everyday monitor
1440p is for my 32" Gsync but also for DSR in gMotor 2.0 sims on the everyday monitor
4K for DSR on either monitor and tower

I have 4 leads so can run either monitor on either tower
Also peculiar setup I can't really use dual monitors as I can only see 1 at a time lol
IMG_0031.JPG

Thought I lost these
Just idea on size and placement of XD and Map in 4 resolutions I use

Each config.ini/XD/Map mod just copy the files you need ( config.ini , XD.ini and Map has folder and one file I forget name )
This is old pics from a NoGrip tutorial I did
Notice how both plugin are relative size to resolutions ( or near enough these are sort of things others could tweak better then me ) and just up the 4 mods with prefix for others to try

****You could also do another set of mods when using GTR2 Hud
As you see mine are set for no hud so I have XD at top of screen and map can sit lower

So you would enable Hud move XD and map where needed then re save files to all mods :thumbsup:

You can see they different resolutions from fraps counter in top right corner getting ever smaller and fps dropping

Last edited:
Sorry for anything you lose I posted OVGME save requirements back in NG and here more then once :)
also written in my read me in GTR2 Essentials since first version

PnG Track Linker registry is a must backup
this example has 2 PnG Track folders but no GTR2 locations selected yet
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PnG_LinkTool]
"Source1"="L:\\STANDALONE SIMS\\GTR2 TRACKS 3RD PARTY\\"
"Source2"="L:\\STANDALONE SIMS\\GTR2 TRACKS DEFAULT\\"
"Source"="L:\\STANDALONE SIMS\\GTR2 TRACKS 3RD PARTY\\"
"Target"="C:\\"

I highly recommended you disable all track links in all folders takes 30 seconds
Also consider that PnG Track Linker needs GTR2.exe in all GTR2/PnG and PnG Track Linker folders
Any GTR.exe removed will need permission again ( GTR2.exe in PnG Track Linker needs no settings just needs to exist)

The only way to make sure you have full control is with AppCompatibiltyView which saves all settings
for "all" *.exe whether they exist or not ALSO a MUST registry backup

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags]

The next thing is little know issue with GME
"The Dreaded thumbs, thumbs.db, . DS_Store and other hidden / protected file "

You may have noticed in various downloaded content you pack for GME's sometimes you get errors make no sense...or folders even content left behind ...or you install a mod then lately it won't uninstall

Probably worst affected were AMS GT3 mods as the files infected other skin packs and series
but I was ignored at EEC ..so simple little test to do before archive

In windows file explorer settings untick " Hide protected operating system files " and select " show hidden files, folders, drives.."
Now you must scan all of your GME mods and sim foldes with tool like Beyond Compare
Filter in or out all attributes you will eventually find all files have no right being in GME's

( With Beyond compare select don't show folders and click till files are alphabetical, makes for easy manual scans )
JSGME/OVGME do not record/backup protected files so they get left behind in a blank folder
If Files are left behind after deactivating a mod points to problem with files permissions

Also check !BACKUP and !INSTLOGS in JSGME "MODS" folder
OVGME anything left in your OVGME BACKUP folder
I suggest when you setup OVGME folder select custom backup and put this folder in each sim install don't rely on 1

For decade I talked about this to modders of all gmotor and was basically ignored simply because they could see no issue doing manual installs ...

" they all said bah, you crazy " ...... when something so little stops "bugs" with their content for people use GME's

My dream was GME would take off with 100's of people mod active

GME is 100% legal as well you are breaking no copyrights even Team IRG gave me permission to split their GTR2 mod into parts as long as I never edited anything which making GME mods you don't
The " mod" combos are limitless

P.S.

Forgot same for AC if you have certain folders and content left behind after de-activate all mods, or a mod refuses to install / uninstall sweep all mod folders for the same bugs
AC had quite a few I weeded out which is no surprise considering it uses JSGME protocol
AC had more . DS_Store then gmotor

Last edited:
PLAYER MODS

Many things can alter the player file
Contain all settings and combinations for:

Default settings without creating new player
HQ recommended AI settings
Reborn recommended AI settings
Shovas Competition AI settings
Write Shared Memory = 1 for Plugins
Shovas FFB v2.0
Shovas FFB v3.0
SDNDTG.DYN ( unlock content )

Set up every player mod with all menu settings done .... you won't need to do again
Additional duplicated mods that add specific car settings
Including unlock in all player mods you won't have to create new player and will auto unlock tracks
All player mods in NEW and SAVED versions
NEW = Default GTR2 with all menus setup 100% ...then never touch again
SAVED = Copies of all NEW player mods once you fully tweak

So you have option for any combo and to add your own stuff and tweak

If you only ever use one resolution you can also add plugin data so Map and XD are sized and positioned how you like

Durge's write up is great but I feel it can be simplified even further for newbies:

1. Run OVGME

2. It will prompt for configuration for your game: Fill in Config Root Folder (the game's root folder), Config Mods Folder (the folder where the mods are stored), Config Backup Folder (the folder that store's the game's original backup files that you'll be overwriting).

3. OVGME will start, show you a list of mods, and you just select them and enable/install them. You can disable/uninstall ones that were already enabled/installed.

It can be that easy!

There are more advanced options but that will serve most users for quite a while, I'd think. I have many game profiles setup already and I still only really use that core functionality.

My method ( #3 ) makes it impossible to deactivate a overwritten mod and it will give you a warning which mods need deactivating first just like you see above

Normal JSGME (#1 ) gives you no such warnings so easy to deactivate a overwritten mod and wreck the install.

P.S. When I approached OVGME author to include it in Essentials packs I detailed how I fixed ALL overwrites and folder warnings.

He thought it was very clever.

Last edited:

JSGME is required to reside in the local / your GTR2 folder
If you run multiple GTR2 folders each install needs a copy of the same mods. Which means when mods need updating you have to do more then one copy.

OVGME has no such limitation meaning one copy of mods can service all GTR2 folders which can save consderable space especially if you GME all vehicle mods.
This way you can see how mods react to different vehicle mods.
This way you see all overwrites in a list and you don''t have to sit going click next click next click next to understand what is overwritten. :rolleyes:

OVGME can be pathed to any location.
So you can use it say for ACC to manage skins in documents.
You can't do that with JSGME as it and the root folder need to be same location.

OVGME needs one copy for all uses.
JSGME needs one copy for each use.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer, @Durge Driven
In the meantime, I also found the big utility for GTR2 folders repetition in diffeent installs .... ( in order to avoid JSGME or OVGME use )... of the Symbolic Link function.

I have for the moment 3 installs for different years or race categories but 1 single full install of GTR2 sounds and same for the tracks.
The advantage is to spare space ( doubled if JSGME ) and just installing, modifying or deleting any files in one single operation.
I'm just still using JSGME for car teams mods. 1 per totally different periods according to the meant install ( Early Endurance - Gr5 & Group C - Touring cars + one just for working on cars, skins and CC wipers )

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.