joystick as a handbrake?

Guy's whilst I enjoy the odd go at rally games it's not my first love in sim racing, so i do not want or need to buy a dedicated hand brake, so I'm thinking will an old pc joystick do as a one? has anyone done this and did it work ok?
Thoughts please

Sure, it works. However, it doesn't feel realistic nor very practical because the spring in all cases is too light. You could try modding it though. Also, although not as important, joysticks provide a linear response, not progressive. So, combining both factors, the result is that (in a real game scenario) you will be no be able to modulate the force required much better than with a digital button.

Upvote 0
Sure, it works. However, it doesn't feel realistic nor very practical because the spring in all cases is too light. You could try modding it though. Also, although not as important, joysticks provide a linear response, not progressive. So, combining both factors, the result is that (in a real game scenario) you will be no be able to modulate the force required much better than with a digital button.

Not true at all...
Every flightstick uses pots at least, so nothing that looks like a simple button.
Flightsticks are created to simulate the air trough the planes, more deflection equals to more force needed to reach 100%, but not all models acts the same, some being more hard to actuate then linear, others are easy on the center and the force ramps up, and then hi end ones lets you change cams to make them linear.

As a note, you can create h-shifters with any flightsitck, and a force feedback h-shifter if you have time and a Microsoft SideWinder FFB2 (possible to make a ffb handbrake too and regulate spring, force, damper, vibration...)

Guy's whilst I enjoy the odd go at rally games it's not my first love in sim racing, so i do not want or need to buy a dedicated hand brake, so I'm thinking will an old pc joystick do as a one? has anyone done this and did it work ok?
Thoughts please
Its easy but take note that the "easy route" only uses half the travel (center to one extreme) so you need to play with deadzones. Then, the space to place the thing

Upvote 0
No, that's not true. I have used a joystick for many many years as a handbrake and, apart from the fact that it has a weak spring as you said, it works as intended and same as any of the handbrakes made with pots or Hall sensors.

Upvote 0
I have also made these experiments and believe me, unless you are very very conformist, hacking a joystick as a handbrake is a waste of time and money. If you want something sturdy, that feels good and gives you enough control, go for the handbrake by Heusinkveld. It's a good piece of hardware for a reasonable price.

Upvote 0
Fook me!!! 239 euro's and that's reasonable??? Man you live in a different world to me lol.

as stated I dont want to spend any money on a dedicated hand brake, so I think I'll try a joystick... anyone recommend a joystick to use. Not some expensive piece of kit as its gonna be pulled apart( no pun intended).
but more like a second user thing on flea bay maybe a Mircosoft sidewinder etc...

Upvote 0
Sidewinder ones are in the soft side but the spring ramps up forces very well, you can feel some progression.
Thrustmasters T16000 are in the hard side, hard to start moving but then linear force to the end.
Logitech ones are the cheapest but the grip is some kind of "strange"

Talking about second hand

Upvote 0
A joystick works fine and makes a good board to gut and use if you can cobble your own hardware together. Going from adding a bungee to make it stiffer and blocks to limit the stroke to eventually making a new mech out of garage scrap was a straight forward path. My computer still says my Sidewinder Joystick is ready to use when I plug mine in :p

tGWnXoc.jpg

You can buy a ready made hydaulic handbrake off ebay for like $30 and use the joystick to run it even easier than cutting your own metal bits

Upvote 0
I didn't mean to offend. If you are on a budget and cannot afford it you can also save money or buy it second hand.
No offense taken, don't worry about that :thumbsup:
But the thing is that the joystick can do the job if you can't or don't want a dedicated handbrake. Of course if you can or want, HE or another of the good handbrakes on the market will be more immersive.

Upvote 0
Elaphe, you hav'nt offended anyone mate..if I was more into rally / drifting. I would have to save up and get a proper HB, but for me drifting has no interest at all and rallying maybe takes up 3% of my sim time if that.

my reply to your first post was a bit" tounge in cheek":D:D. all input given back to me is appreciated.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea