Jeep Cherokee XJ

Cars Jeep Cherokee XJ 0.9.3

Login or Register an account to download this content
Haven't driven this yet and I see its 0.9 but I LOVE the Prelude you did and I LOVE driving this car in real life so I am very excited to have this in Assetto and I am excited to see where it goes.

i know in general almost everyone's physics are off by a certain amount here (mine very much included), but I would consider looking more into the basics of this - its centre of gravity height is really low for this type of vehicle. Yours is like 0.43m, I think it'd be closer to like 0.65-0.7m. Tyre also seem a lot better than I'd expect for being so knobbly, but I'm sure others can give input on that. It also seems very light, and the rears lock very easily, and has an impossibly low amount of drag. Overall, its far, far more capable performance wise than something like this would be IRL.

As for the visuals, it depends how far you want to go with it, but a lot could be improved on the texture side. I like the idea of simple, lower poly models, as most of this car adheres to, but I'd try and back it up with more optimised textures; right now almost all of your textures are flat colours, but if thats the case there is no need to have then bigger than a few pixels (your txMask.dds is the biggest offender, but almost all of the rest could be greatly reduced in size without really compromising visual quality).

And same goes with the 3d modeled tyre tread (and logos) - thats taking up almost 80% of your total tri count! Cut those back to sensible levels, tidy up the huge textures, merge objects using the same material (currently you have a lot of extra draw calls for no reason), and you'd have a nice basic car.

Last edited:
Hi Gary, thanks so much for taking the time to take a look at my model and provide suggestions.

Where do you see the CG height? I thought that the INERTIA variable took care of that. The weight is the documented weight. As for the rear locking, I've since redone the tyre and suspension settings and I'll check for that.

Yes, the solid textures should be resized. I orginally created them large in case I needed to add more.

The tyres are an issue. The ones I have on now are just temporary and from another model that I purchased. They have way too many polys. I'm trying to find/build a All terrain T/A type without 3D treads.

Hi Gary, thanks so much for taking the time to take a look at my model and provide suggestions.

Where do you see the CG height? I thought that the INERTIA variable took care of that. The weight is the documented weight. As for the rear locking, I've since redone the tyre and suspension settings and I'll check for that.
CG height is set by the BASEY values in suspensions.ini, you can see it ingame via the Car physics app listed under CGH.
Right now your car weighs 1340kg with driver, so ~1265kg without driver, that seems unusually light for a car like this. A quick search online suggests its at least 1450kg without driver, so quite a difference. Maybe you have other info.
If you search for the NHTSA inertia database, you should find this, and it happens to have a bunch of Cherokee's weighed.
1643315285936.png

It also has weight dist and CG height measurements, as well as inertia values, though the latter can't be plugged in directly (don't ask me how to convert them, I don't know).
Also don't forget about drag, yours is about 3x too small. This quick search suggests a Cd of 0.52, and a frontal area of 2.28m, so a CdA of 1.18 (don't know how accurate these are but they definitely sound in the ballpark). Yours is 0.36, which is extremely slippery for a car like this.

Hi! In the tyres.ini the WEAR_CURVE and the PERFORMANCE_CURVE points to empty luts, but you have street_front, street_rear and tcurve_street lut files, which can be used in this case.

Jake Grafton updated Jeep Cherokee XJ 1984 with a new update entry:

Update v0.9.3

Update v0.9.3

- New 1987 version with 4.0L engine (173 hp) which includes:
- 5-spoke rims
- tachometer
- fog lights
- factory Jeep cassette radio
- colours
- rear tyre carrier (on some skins)

- Updated 1984 version:
- improved gauges panel
- adjusted to use 205 width tyres (1987 has 225)

- Improved on both versions:
- corrected steering ratio
- new wipers
- new rearview mirror
- new headlights
- corrected door gaps
- added Laredo...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals