Apps I've just discovered the AC Content manager !

.....and I'm amazed. :)

I had it working fine by manually adding the mods by carefully merging/copying their folder structures. The CM interface and the additional content has now made it my preferred driving sim.

I used the word "had" because after further instructions reading, I discovered CM's method of managing addon content through drag and drop, where it keeps all addon files in a remote folder and enables/disables addons via links, instead of loading everything into AC's content folder.

I therefore carefully removed my loaded addons and then tried to add them via drag and drop. That didn't work at all, and after Googling the problem, one of the suggestions was to remove Contact Manager's "run as admin" security setting. They still wouldn't drag and drop though, and more importantly I could no longer start AC via CM, as it came up with an error code. Re-enabling "run as admin" then had it working ok again.

So then I tried copying the mod folders into CM's Mods folder, and they then appeared in CM's Mod management screen on the left hand side. It the appeared to work when I clicked on one and then clicked "enable", it appeared on the right hand side, and links appeared appeared in AC's content folder. However, they were not present in the tracks and cars options, so could not be selected.

So I'm at a loss now, I can't find any way to manage mods via the links method, which I'd prefer to use, as it's the same way that I run my Flight Sims, via links, keeping the Progs addon folders empty, apart from links.

In general, Content Manager's "drag and drop" is less likely to work correctly than copying folders into the AC install. Maybe 75% success rate? I don't really know why, other than that it leaves out files that mods require.

There are very few mods that have any downsides to using folders though. Basically sound mods that overwrite the original car's sounds are the only ones that need more care to undo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Stereo.
My problem with using CM's mod file management is more extensive than that though.
Even when I manually add mod folders to CM's appointed Mod folder, (which then appear in the left pane of it), clicking "enable" does indeed move them across and create the neccessary file links with the AC content folders, (as does "disable", in removing them), but those enabled cars and tracks still don't appear within Content manager's available cars and tracks. (and yet they worked perfectly when I previously did it in the manual file copy way).

I also still have the problem that Content manager still can't start AC without it being granted Admin Privileges, which was cited as one of the causes of drag and drop failing to work.

Thanks again for the reply Stereo.

I've now given up trying to use Content manager for actually adding and enabling/disabling the mods. I registered with the online official CM Discussion group with the intention of posting the problem on there, but unfortunately my "confirmation email" has never arrived despite several attempts, so I can't post anything on there, and I've had no replies when trying to contact them via email.

Anyhow, it's the only small downside to the otherwise excellent utility, transforming my use of AC. As you say, copying the mods in manually works fine, and even though I still have to run CM "as an administrator" in order to start AC, that works perfectly, despite that being sited as the cause of drag and drop not working. So far I've discovered no other problems using it that way.

It really is an incredible interface, I particularly like the totally free roam capability, any car anywhere, and with total flexibility in selecting race opponents.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.