ISI announces jGED, a new modding tool for rFactor 2

Main.jpg
Image Space Incorporated has announced a new proprietary modding tool.

jGED is a gMotor 2-based tool, made by ISI "as an effort to remove the reliance on 3DS Max as the only tool for rF2 modding", as the press release reads. This is big news for modders, as they won't be restricted to a single platform [3DS Max] anymore. In terms of functionality, jGED should be largely the same as the latest gMotor 2 plugins for 3DS Max.

The editor uses the same engine and shaders as rFactor 2, which could potentially spark a surge in rF2 modding - which is, as we've already seen, capable of creating some amazing content. jGED should be available in the coming weeks.

Let us know what you think in the comments: are you going to use the new editor?

Last edited by a moderator:
For a one off $85 fee, or $44 with $12 a year for continued access.
In the words of John Mcenroe "You cant be serious"
I am always amused at the quibbling about prices of any sim or game on PC because other than Iracing they all cost peanuts.

I say this for two main reasons.
1) Console titles and annual renewal/subscription mode.
Before Rfactor I raced Codies F1 on Xbox. The title cost about £50 and EVERY year you had to buy a new one. They were not always better and often not as good but the whole community saw it as their duty to race the latest one. Then you had to pay £40.00 for xbox live.
So that's £90.00 per annum. To drive one type of car on 18-19 tracks.

You can lump Pcars into the same "annual renewal / subscription" mode as before the ink has dried on 30,000,000 revenue for Pcars 1, they are putting their hands out for crowd funding for Pcars 2. (I won't ask what they have done with all their own funds).

2) Hardware/peripheral costs.
My rig consists of
PC £500
27" 2ms PC Monitor £180.00
Fanatec CSW V2 wheel/F1 rim £680
Pedals £80.00
Total £1440.
and there are people with double that investment.
I would say that each year I'll find some hardware to spend £200 more on

So the price is chicken feed.
Despite the fact that by most authoritative and independent commentators opinions the RF2 sim is the most technically accurate and complete engine with the best physics, FFB, AI and car setup parameters available and real road and the tyre model (to name a few). Despite all this ISI have a philosophy of doing it all at a very reasonable price. That's why certain things don't happen overnight or in a rush. That would take a bigger team and more costs and mean higher prices or paid DLC instead of free DLC.
To me it seems they have a philosophy of "do you want it fast or do you want it right"

From time to time someone will pipe up with comments about graphics. I love the graphics. I think they are great. Drive a car at late afternoon at Sao Paulo and see what I mean. You can have your overdone "Disneyland" graphics I want it real. I want to end a session bathed in sweat and euphoric about a race.

So with a one off investment of £54.40 (yep the equivalent of one year of codies F1 not including XBL ) I have probably 5-7 years of RF2.
I did it 3 years ago and have saved £300 in Codies and XBL. Right now the console players are all having to buy new consoles too.
Access to approx 46 tracks and maybe 35 cars (that's over 1500 combinations).
That's just for now. Every few months a stunning new mod comes out. It seems that modding for RF2 is much more technical than RF1 so it seem far only the best and bravest do it to date.
The results from those that have dared can be outstanding.
The core is superb, the content more than enough so long as you don't want to hot lap a different car every night for a year (you have Forza for that).

As I enter my 4th year of ownership the annual costs of the sim are down to £14.00.
edit#2 and every new car or track that appears (about 10+ annually) is totally free.

Summary:
My hardware costs £1440.00

My annual sim costs £14.00

So its cheap and certainly one of the best and IMO The best.
Knowing what I know now about RF2 I would have been happy to pay much more.

Edit: The simple reason that they went to the higher one off or annual model (of the crushing amount of $1 per month) is that otherwise free loading thieves would steal their work and they want to ensure their revenues.

This is great news for this sim.

I have a copy of Lightwave but 3DS is just way out of my reach so to have a backup program to do use and test on is great :)

The price is about right as well, if it was £100 I would say no, but as as previous post has mentioned this is about the price of a new console game. It doesn't mention about updates and if there will be costs for those but thanks to ISI for releasing something like this :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yes, my mistake I misread about the pricing too.

If it's a fairly limited tool (for example you may have to do the modelling portions in a separate application) then it may be a free application. Like the AC tools for example.

Looking at the window above it mentions "Material Editor" similar to the AC app.

If it has modeling capabilities as well I would imagine it will be a paid for application, and that's fine with me :thumbsup:

My guess is this is a released version of the program that the ISI development teams use and test on.

It would be nice if it could import the track data from something like BTB so fingers crossed.

In the words of John Mcenroe "You cant be serious"
I am always amused at the quibbling about prices of any sim or game on PC because other than Iracing they all cost peanuts.

I say this for two main reasons.
1) Console titles and annual renewal/subscription mode.
Before Rfactor I raced Codies F1 on Xbox. The title cost about £50 and EVERY year you had to buy a new one. They were not always better and often not as good but the whole community saw it as their duty to race the latest one. Then you had to pay £40.00 for xbox live.
So that's £90.00 per annum. To drive one type of car on 18-19 tracks.

You can lump Pcars into the same "annual renewal / subscription" mode as before the ink has dried on 30,000,000 revenue for Pcars 1, they are putting their hands out for crowd funding for Pcars 2. (I won't ask what they have done with all their own funds).

2) Hardware/peripheral costs.
My rig consists of
PC £500
27" 2ms PC Monitor £180.00
Fanatec CSW V2 wheel/F1 rim £680
Pedals £80.00
Total £1440.
and there are people with double that investment.
I would say that each year I'll find some hardware to spend £200 more on

So the price is chicken feed.
Despite the fact that by most authoritative and independent commentators opinions the RF2 sim is the most technically accurate and complete engine with the best physics, FFB, AI and car setup parameters available and real road and the tyre model (to name a few). Despite all this ISI have a philosophy of doing it all at a very reasonable price. That's why certain things don't happen overnight or in a rush. That would take a bigger team and more costs and mean higher prices or paid DLC instead of free DLC.
To me it seems they have a philosophy of "do you want it fast or do you want it right"

From time to time someone will pipe up with comments about graphics. I love the graphics. I think they are great. Drive a car at late afternoon at Sao Paulo and see what I mean. You can have your overdone "Disneyland" graphics I want it real. I want to end a session bathed in sweat and euphoric about a race.

So with a one off investment of £54.40 (yep the equivalent of one year of codies F1 not including XBL ) I have probably 5-7 years of RF2.
I did it 3 years ago and have saved £300 in Codies and XBL. Right now the console players are all having to buy new consoles too.
Access to approx 46 tracks and maybe 35 cars (that's over 1500 combinations).
That's just for now. Every few months a stunning new mod comes out. It seems that modding for RF2 is much more technical than RF1 so it seem far only the best and bravest do it to date.
The results from those that have dared can be outstanding.
The core is superb, the content more than enough so long as you don't want to hot lap a different car every night for a year (you have Forza for that).

As I enter my 4th year of ownership the annual costs of the sim are down to £14.00.
edit#2 and every new car or track that appears (about 10+ annually) is totally free.

Summary:
My hardware costs £1440.00

My annual sim costs £14.00

Edit: The simple reason that they went to the higher one off or annual model (of the crushing amount of $1 per month) is that otherwise free loading thieves would steal their work and they want to ensure their revenues.
I think this is what you call a "Slam Dunk". Well said sir.

I can do nothing but agree.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the announced modding tool jGED, I think it's great.
I've previously done some modelling for Train Simulator 20xx using Blender but the cost of 3DS Max has kept me away from any attempts to dig into and start learning about rF2 modding. So I'm really excited to see what this new tool might bring.
If it's good, I would be ready to pay a few bucks for it as well.

Last edited:
How come such a reaction to a simple statement of fact? I didn't say I thought it was expensive, I didn't compare it to any other titles, I didn't make any judgement on value for money. I just copied the costs straight from the website.

Somewhat over sensitive?

How come such a reaction to a simple statement of fact? I didn't say I thought it was expensive, I didn't compare it to any other titles, I didn't make any judgement on value for money. I just copied the costs straight from the website.

Somewhat over sensitive?

Anyone knows if this would work for rF1 and thus GSCEx?

I only wish they'd get in Steam asap (as much as I dislike that service). The price in dollar is fair but when you are in Brazil... just wow... they need to find a way to sell it in local currency, they really do

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.