Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I received a Pico Neo 3 link yesterday. Basically its a Quest 2 competitor, very similar in capabilities as a standalone headset but also has the ability to add a displayport cable that provides USB power and ensures no compression on the image from the PC. Had a few races in AC today and it looks nice, the difference going from 2.5k to 4k per eye is pretty noticeable for distant cars as well as the dials.

It hasn't been issue free, had some problems since my steam was not installed in the default place and the scale is a little big at the moment. It is actually a decent headset and its a competitive price.

That's very impressive.

Two things come to mind immediately.

1. 3rd quarter 2022 ? Fingers crossed, but I'll believe it when I see it.
2. If Pimax can build this, I can't wait to see what Valve releases.

• Deleted member 197115

But they have such a great track record of delivering on time.

Was it just me, or was he hard to watch? I skimmed through it and he was already getting on my nerves.
Geez, can't think of more obnoxious thing to present product. What were they thinking? Would definitely throw something heavy at him if were in the same room.

Agree fully with the ironic remarks above.
I guess no professional advertising bureau would propose exactly this kind goofy or evangelist presentation for a product from a company almost nobody believe in.:rolleyes:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: If it was an Apple or Valve presentation I would check it out seriously instead of just skimmed it.

I backed PiMax, they are full of more **** than people realise. They have never, not once, realised remotely their vision for a product so far they have all been fatally flawed. The thing is they really don't care if you get a working headset either, they are more than happy to just rip you off. PiMax know what people want and tell you that you can get it and then they never deliver, certainly not on things that matter.

It is their culture and it comes from the top, there is no chance they ever change.

I'm not paying $1900 for a VR headset, I don't care if Jesus himself presents it.

If you're going to charge 3.5x what a Reverb G2 costs, it better be 3.5x as good and this doesn't seem to be 3.5x as good.

It doesn't look like Valve is releasing an Index successor anytime soon so my gut feeling is that the mainstream players aren't interested in tethered PC VR anymore.

The Quest 2 and Meta has done so well that everyone is going to try to bank on that. And anything that Quest 2 doesn't cover will likely get taken by PSVR2. I seriously hope more people adopt PC VR as gamers, but the PC VR community is quite toxic, it's no wonder people prefer McDonald's level VR content.

In my opinion: The fact that Valve hasn't dropped the price of the OG Index yet is proof that the market hasn't evolved.

Last edited:
I'm not paying $1900 for a VR headset, I don't care if Jesus himself presents it.

If you're going to charge 3.5x what a Reverb G2 costs, it better be 3.5x as good and this doesn't seem to be 3.5x as good.
Two words - Diminishing returns.

A $1900 HMD is never going to be 3 times better than a $500 HMD. It will be better sure, but not by the amount that the expenditure would indicate.

I've been involved in a number of expensive hobbies, and the truth is that there is always a sweet spot where you get the most bang for your money. Spending more will get you something better, but not by as much of a margin as you would expect for the additional cost. On the flip side spending less might well get you something that is significantly inferior.

With HMDs at the moment I would say that the Reverb G2 is probably the sweet spot with what you can buy at the moment, but If you happen to have a Reverb G1 then treasure it - It's my preferred HMD even though I have a G2.

I’d agree, g1 or g2 and just max everything out for now if u can. We’re a minority user base in sim racing whether we like it or not and quite a demanding crowd, as said about quite toxic (lol), which doesn’t sit well with most devs.

Last edited:
Yea, I wouldn’t trust Pimax and I’m pretty sure thateven the 4090ti won’t be able to run the 12K Pimax.
For now I’m happy with my G2 reverb and I will upgrade my 2080ti to 4090 to be able to run the G2 reverb/rfactor2 at full setting and 90fps and SS-150% then I will be very very happy until Valve release their Index2.

Last edited:
This was one of my greatest fears when ordering the Varjo Aero : Having a better cheaper VR HMD announced after i just committed to keeping it.

Chances of this happening were high, but they did not impact my decision to return it.

Pimax specs look good on paper, but a Pimax headset is something i would need to try first myself before even considering ordering one.

I'm just dying to see even the smallest Valve Index 2 trailer and be happy to wait to the end of 2023 if i just know it's coming.

As it stands, when the 40 series are released, I'll have trouble justifying buying one.

However, if I could run 144 fps in sims with decent SS, that would increase the perceived resolution of the Index just through small head movements.

This was one of my greatest fears when ordering the Varjo Aero : Having a better cheaper VR HMD announced after i just committed to keeping it.

Chances of this happening were high, but they did not impact my decision to return it.

Pimax specs look good on paper, but a Pimax headset is something i would need to try first myself before even considering ordering one.

I'm just dying to see even the smallest Valve Index 2 trailer and be happy to wait to the end of 2023 if i just know it's coming.
Why did you return the Varjo?

I'm about to get a rift s for sim racing.
Noob question, can i still use my monitor as normal if i chose?
I do a bit of modding on AC and don't want to do that with a head set on.
Is it simply a case of switching between the two easily?

Was it just me, or was he hard to watch? I skimmed through it and he was already getting on my nerves.
I stopped watching after 30 seconds...
I have red hair and had a bit longer hair once too.

That guy is extremely annoying due to his voice, how he speaks and his gesticulating.
Evangelists can be like that...
Lol!
But who am I to say something, since I don't have a soul either ;)
I'm about to get a rift s for sim racing.
Noob question, can i still use my monitor as normal if i chose?
I do a bit of modding on AC and don't want to do that with a head set on.
Is it simply a case of switching between the two easily?
Yes you can. You simply select the "mode" you want to play AC in via the graphics settings.
You'll have a monitor mode and a vr mode.
And with content manager, you can even save presets if you want to use different settings when on monitor or in vr.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.