Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

Not GT, but this looks interesting, wondering if FM7 is supported as well.

EDIT: It must be Steam edition, FM7 never was released there, only FH4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played FH4 projected in Windows Mixed Reality home, that isn't that dissimilar to what is being done here with VorpX. You can do the same with SteamVR too. Since VorpX can't get to the 3D rendering or projecting there isn't a lot of point using VorpX over and above WMR basic app I suspect.

Not too surprising.

The Valve Index is still selling strong 2 years later, and going in and out of inventory surpassing all HTC products to date.

Meanwhile the Oculus Quest is selling in mass and getting VR in front of massive numbers of people. That said, the trickledown from the Oculus Quest has been completely separate from the rest of the market with many exclusively Quest games being built, so unfortunately the stand alone VR segment has created a larger market than PC based VR and has pulled many game development shops in another direction :(

So the PC market will remain the "enthusiast" market with Sony's Console PS VR and Oculus's stand alone VR both having a much larger audience.

HTC will fade away, Valve will grow, Oculus will grow faster and others will be there too.

Current trends could end up with Valve near 25% of the market, Oculus 70% and 5% for the rest, until something eventually disrupts the market.

steam-vr-headset-vendor-marketshare-july-2021.png

Interesting data. It's very uncomfortable to watch that sociopathic monster FaceBook taking over.

Apple may be the next mover. But that would almost certainly be marketed as an iPhone accessory (i.e., must be connected to the phone for it to work) and also almost certainly AR, not VR, just because all-encompassing VR is so isolating. But Iphones and ipads have had (off-head) AR capabilities for a while now and things have barely moved past rather desperate-feeling "look, isn't this cool?" tech demos, to the point that few people even know their phones can do it at all.

I haven't found myself a fan of current VR quality, but mixing in my real-life wheel and other controls would be nice. Better cameras are needed for that than are currently equipped for position sensing, obviously.

Yes, I'm sure it will have its own processing power, but too much would make it demand more battery, making it heavier, hotter, etc.

I think they would prefer something more like google glass than a bulky, heavy and isolating head-set, and it all comes down to image. There's just no way to make one of the latter look cool to your average 20-something hipster. To the contrary, they practically scream "incel." :confused: Hence my thought that it would be light, open and wirelessly tethered to what is Apple's centerpiece; an iphone (a new one, of course. :rolleyes:).

It's all just rumor and conjecture, but it's fun to speculate.

And so, "VR is for lonely, isolated incels." Discuss! ;)

Last edited:
Not sure if his finding are true, but for now i would hold out on spending extreme amounts of cash on a vario and wait for the Index 2
I think my setup with a G2 is fine for now. I can barely run the thing so more resolution isn't going to be attractive to me for the foreseeable future. Having splashed out on a 3080 (the most I've ever spent on a card and I got it at MSRP) I will skip the next generation of cards. I know they'll have a lot of power but it will probably be the generation after the next one before developers are in a position to really take advantage of that extra power.

My plan is to skip the next generation of everything and wait for the human eye resolution to become the standard and also wait for hardware that can actually run those resolutions to become the norm. I'm guessing that the 5000 series at best.

I think my setup with a G2 is fine for now. I can barely run the thing so more resolution isn't going to be attractive to me for the foreseeable future. Having splashed out on a 3080 (the most I've ever spent on a card and I got it at MSRP) I will skip the next generation of cards. I know they'll have a lot of power but it will probably be the generation after the next one before developers are in a position to really take advantage of that extra power.

My plan is to skip the next generation of everything and wait for the human eye resolution to become the standard and also wait for hardware that can actually run those resolutions to become the norm. I'm guessing that the 5000 series at best.

Pretty much this. I'll stick with the G2 until there's a notable bump in rendering techniques which allow more resolution without a large jump in gpu performance to go with it.

If someone can figure out managing distortion and pupil swim on aspheric lenses we can get Varjo like clarity and good enough fov. Distance clarity is what I want more for simracing and fresnel lenses are limited there even with higher ppd due to the tech.

I am still sat with the Odyssey+. There are enough VR performance problems doubling the pixel count is only going to make that worse! I do want more but we need faster GPUs and better use of the resolution with software to reduce the cost of it all. Just rendering all these pixels with large over render can't continue into the well above 4k rendering pixel densities, smarter has to come into this, what we are doing right now is so inefficient.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 4 6.7%