Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
They had to have heard how difficult getting a racing game to look and run well in VR is, directly from Polyphony developers when the simple VR implementation in GT Sport was done.
This is true and one of the reasons I ended up moving to PC once they announced the PSVR2 was going to be some years away. The more "accessible" drive club was fully implemented though as were some of the dirt rally games IIRC

EDIT: I have just re-read the above and realised that I might be coming across as some kind of Sony fanboi.... I'd like to state that I have a wide variety of consoles and don't have any particular favourite! I thought they did a pretty good job with the PSVR considering the price (assuming you already had a PS4), unfortunately it just wasn't up to scratch for me in the end for the racing games I wanted to play

Last edited:
I just can't see a VR headset becoming mainstream. AR on the other hand I can see going mainstream but the hardware needs to get better, smaller and less intrusive. I think that tech is going to take some time.

I completely agree that AR will be absolutely HUGE. Smart mobile devices and first with smart AR glasses, then contacts and eventually subdermal implants are coming and that will be in the hands of BILLIONS of people as soon as the technology gets here. This will be the smart phone equivalent of the future.

VR will always be a niche for immersive gaming. By virtue of what it is, it can never be as big as AR will be. However it will still benefit from trickledown as AR become huge.

I completely agree that AR will be absolutely HUGE. Smart mobile devices and first with smart AR glasses, then contacts and eventually subdermal implants are coming and that will be in the hands of BILLIONS of people as soon as the technology gets here. This will be the smart phone equivalent of the future.

VR will always be a niche for immersive gaming. By virtue of what it is, it can never be as big as AR will be. However it will still benefit from trickledown as AR become huge.
I'm just worried that the future of AR doesn't exactly line up with sim racing. I do think there's an argument to be made for using VR/AR to create immersive driving/flying environments because actual flight is becoming more expensive due to fuel costs and if we can simulate it enough using VR/AR and simulated G-forces, we can save a lot more money training pilots and drivers using simulations rather than having them actually drive/fly.

But Apple's AR tech is not something I imagine them making open enough to be good for the type of uses we have for VR.

Apple is just too proprietary and invested into their own eco system. Maybe if Fanatec makes an Apple force feedback wheel lol.

I'm just worried that the future of AR doesn't exactly line up with sim racing.

It doesn't, but there is no point worrying about that.

Oculus has even shown how VR for the masses can depart from what we want for Sim racers when they completely dropped and even discontinued production for their existing PC only product.

However there is still a market as evidenced by how well the Valve Index and HP Reverb 2 are selling and the market that is keeping Pimax going.

You only need a few competing vendors in a market to keep things moving.

• Deleted member 197115

Sony is introducing their next gen VR headsets.

When PS5 was released there wasn't a word about new PSVR, and later on (perhaps due to outcry from users) we had this announcement with "There’s still a lot of development underway for our new VR system, so it won’t be launching in 2021" disclaimer. Safe play from Sony, regardless of how VR market turns out in the next few years. The undefined release timeline probably also indicates there was nothing concrete in the works.

Any word from Valve on the next Index version?

• Deleted member 197115

HTC is back?

The PS5 runs at optimum runs about the same GPU power as a 2070 Super. That's not bad for VR, but it's not good enough for good looking VR at a high resolution. And Microsoft hasn't even hinted at bringing VR to Xbox.

I guess that depend on what you classify as good looking high resolution?
I am pretty comfortable with a RTX 2070 and and a basic WMR headset.
Would like a HP Revive 2 and also find the price to be ok but have no interest in trying to get a Gpu at current prices or signing up for something you might never get nor know the price for.
So maybe a major part of the lack of VR development might be down to price point/ availability for Gpus.

I think the knife to the back of current gaming VR is going to be Apple's AR glasses that are rumored to come out this year or next year. It's not going to be like traditional VR, and it's definitely not going to be "open platform friendly". People will rush to it, and it won't be useful to us sim racers.

Pretty sure not going to be the case.
Apple has close to zero impact in gaming and if they come out with a AR glasses it will be overpriced and only attract Apple diehards.

Sim's will always be a niche market but is also a market where the buying power in general are higher than the rest of the gaming market and I would think a high quality headset @ $1000 will work fine but not without hardware to drive it?

Regarding VR and how strong (or weak) it is compare to the alternative for SIM racing, I believe it is stronger than ever.
On the pancake side, single screen has made some progress with ultrawide and curved, but nothing really earth shattering and still expensive, triple pancake is the same old and probably loosing ground to both ultrawide and VR.
VR, to me is still magic, nothing even remotely close as to the feeling of being there when driving a SIM. the main advancement for me is the Quest2, because it brings better quality than the previous gen at a reasonable price with the extra advantage of wireless. The more expensive, less comfortable, better fov, better resolution are a compromise and not really a step forward.
Better GPU, when readily available, are helping both pancake, triple pancake and VR, further progress will make everything better but not radically different.
I believe VR is gaining ground for SIM racers, but nothing revolutionary, just evolutionary and rather slow.
For now I am still over the moon with my CV!/gtx1080ti and will probably hold my position until something not just a little better, but radically better, shows up.

Last edited:
I guess that depend on what you classify as good looking high resolution?
I am pretty comfortable with a RTX 2070 and and a basic WMR headset.
Would like a HP Revive 2 and also find the price to be ok but have no interest in trying to get a Gpu at current prices or signing up for something you might never get nor know the price for.
So maybe a major part of the lack of VR development might be down to price point/ availability for Gpus.

Pretty sure not going to be the case.
Apple has close to zero impact in gaming and if they come out with a AR glasses it will be overpriced and only attract Apple diehards.

Sim's will always be a niche market but is also a market where the buying power in general are higher than the rest of the gaming market and I would think a high quality headset @ $1000 will work fine but not without hardware to drive it?
It takes more than a single niche to fund an entire hardware market. The issue is that Apple will absorb the non-gaming AR/VR applications. And I seriously don't think their solution will encourage the use of third party SDK's like Unity or Unreal3D. Based on their track record, it'll be some proprietary SDK built using the Swift language.
Business, event and other casual uses for AR will be an all or nothing with their AR glasses, meaning companies building VR headsets will have to compete with Apple for those segments.

I love VR, but outside of sim racing, I just don't have a use for it, and I don't want to invest into it if it's going to be a dead end. I'm already researching super ultrawide/ultrawide to see if it's a viable option for me.

I love VR, but outside of sim racing, I just don't have a use for it, and I don't want to invest into it if it's going to be a dead end. I'm already researching super ultrawide/ultrawide to see if it's a viable option for me.

Also only using VR for sims and not too worried about if it is a mass market or not.
Mostly using Gtr2 and AMS1 with the Crew Chief VR implementation and they will stay.
Think there are enough VR headsets out there to make sure that drivers will continue supporting them?
Got an ultravide monitor myself and love it.

• Deleted member 197115

How studios can afford making VR only titles? Look at the arguably the best VR title "Half Life Alyx" (which I didn't play)
7.5K average player on release date which slid down to 1-2K almost immediately.
Comparing with bugs ridden, still needs lots of work Outriders.
Almost 73K average players, and this is PC Steam only, it is also available on Epic as well as PS and XBox.
Wondering if Valve made their title worth the investment.

And speaking of news, anyone invested into Decagear, they were supposed to start shipping in May, but that's changed (not a surprise, I guess).

Last edited by a moderator:
How studios can afford making VR only titles? Look at the arguably the best VR title "Half Life Alyx" (which I didn't play)
7.5K average player on release date which slid down to 1-2K almost immediately.
Comparing with bugs ridden, still needs lots of work Outriders.
Almost 73K average players, and this is PC Steam only, it is also available on Epic as well as PS and XBox.
Wondering if Valve made their title worth the investment.

And speaking of news, anyone invested into Decagear, they were supposed to start shipping in May, but that's changed (not a surprise, I guess).
Yes, yes it was. Steam makes Valve the money allowing Valve to do whatever the hell they like in terms of game development. Steam is the vehicle for Valves development.

While we don't see much from Valve, and I suspect the reason is that most of the stuff they do ends up on the cutting room floor, so to say, what we do see is refreshingly risky from a game dev point of view, and often quite unique - Portal for example. Also mechanics and story telling used smartly and intelligently that lifts otherwise bland shooters to utter greatness - Half Life.

They don't have to pander to gaming flavour of the month in order to make money because Steam makes the money, and that allows Valve to go offbeat and experiment. And that is fantastic as there's is far too little innovation and too much of a low hanging fruit approach to video game development these days.

So yeah, Half Life Alyx was probably well worth it to Valve.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised to see a start up or maybe an established manufacturer make a sim racing specific VR headset. Something that is either in a race helmet replica, or just mimics the view from a helmet. It's an industry that clearly has a lot of money and most of it seems to be going to Fanatec at the moment (not saying that's a bad thing). Maybe Fanatec could even do it.

A big disappointment for me with VR is that they never made it into a social real world thing doing something like laser tag. I saw people making backpack PCs that allowed you to freeroam in VR not being tied to anything. I was expecting that kind of experience (not necessarily just laser tag) being how the public would mostly interact with VR at first, but I didn't really see it being developed past a concept.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a start up or maybe an established manufacturer make a sim racing specific VR headset. Something that is either in a race helmet replica, or just mimics the view from a helmet.

A couple of companies are already attempting something similar but I can't see it catching on with these current iterations.

Helmet VR

Stilo

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes