Is It Just Me??????

After a few F1 seasons with the broadcast team of Diffey, Hobbs, Matchett, and Buxton the current crew is like fingernails on the blackboard. No personality, no chemistry, lousy voices, and a propensity to blather like middle school boys.

OK, I'll take a few deep breaths and calm down.........

I'm fine with the current crew that we see on ESPN, but I could certainly do without Brundle. He doesn't have much to offer on the grid walk before the race. At least have something prepared.

David Hobs is the best at commentating F1. I remember in my younger years he was at Speedvision. I will admit they are old in the tooth and wine a lot. Most of the older generation do. I am 42 and i wish F1 had elements from the 90's when i 1st got the bug. But change is a virtue in this sport here nothing stands still for better or worse. I watch in a bar broadcasts by SKY and its ex drivers who all believe it was better in there day. (Damon Hill, Martin Brundle, David Coulthard) They read the race like a News story. Obviously they are not as good with a mic as they are with a car. Murray Walker is sadly missed. He had Pizazz and excitement.

I'm fine with the current crew that we see on ESPN, but I could certainly do without Brundle. He doesn't have much to offer on the grid walk before the race. At least have something prepared.
His Job is hard finding people to talk. You have to remember there are broadcasters from all over the world trying to do the same. Problem is most drivers don't want to talk espeshaly before a race. I would not want to be grilled before a race if i was the driver.

His Job is hard finding people to talk. You have to remember there are broadcasters from all over the world trying to do the same. Problem is most drivers don't want to talk espeshaly before a race. I would not want to be grilled before a race if i was the driver.
Agree, most drivers are focused on the game plan. But Will Buxton at least had some energy, some interesting words, and the drivers seemed to like him enough to share a few meaningful thoughts.

You have my sympathy at being stuck with Leigh Diffey!
We were prepared to pay for him to be 'taken out' several years ago but he managed to escape from Australia.
Man's a know nothing Muppet!!!!! :roflmao:

Last edited:
I miss Hobbs, Matchett, Diffey and Buxton as well.
I too, do not miss the long commercial breaks.
Hobbs had lots of 'English pride'...and it showed.
He simply loved anything British and that included Lewis Hamilton..and that also showed to a fault sometimes.
He needed to give some of that to Martin Brundle.
He doesn't seem to like Lewis very much...could be a jealousy 'thing'.
Matchett just loved Schumacher, Herbert and Benetton...and that showed as well.
Diffey just was the 'glue' in the middle of the other two.
Will was just Will...a 'lover' of F1 and it's history.
I loved the bets and predictions before the start of the race....the strategy calls and guesses as to why the teams did something.
The new guys have none of that.
It's just commentary.
Quite frankly, it's boring as hell.

Hobbs had lots of 'English pride'...and it showed.
He simply loved anything British and that included Lewis Hamilton..and that also showed to a fault sometimes.
He needed to give some of that to Martin Brundle.
He doesn't seem to like Lewis very much...could be a jealousy 'thing'.

Really? I like Brundle but he sticks up for Hamilton far more than he deserves. There's no doubt that Hamilton's a great driver but he's not the F1 god that many make him out to be.

Gettin' a little off topic guys. Let's just complain about the broadcasters.:laugh::laugh: Drivers can be another thread.:devilish:
Paul Di Resta seems a good guy but as a broadcaster he always sounds like he's apologizing, drives me nuts. Davidson and his little video "chalk talk" after the race is a yawn at best. At the Hungarian race I hit the mute button for 40 laps or so......it helped.
After the GP I watched the Indycar race at Mid Ohio and heard an engaging, informative, professional set of commentators. What a difference.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.