Is ai ever going to get any attention?

I feel like MS Games is wasting their time on the competition system. It is an easily certifiable fact that the majority of simracers are offline players with the exception of iRacing.
At one point in time Rf2 had some of the best ai out there, now it is trash. The latest ui is a step in the right direction to make the game easier and more logical to use but it makes more sense to focus on offline than it does online.

Even the way they are rolling out the online system is just idiotic. You want traction but you basically stick most of the servers with at least one pay dlc.
Went to join the GT3 server tonight thinking I had everything then... Whoops, sorry guy you didn't buy the last crappy BMW we just put out so, denied. Seriously? No wonder your companies financials are horrific with logic like that.

I feel like MS Games is wasting their time on the competition system. It is an easily certifiable fact that the majority of simracers are offline players with the exception of iRacing.
At one point in time Rf2 had some of the best ai out there, now it is trash. The latest ui is a step in the right direction to make the game easier and more logical to use but it makes more sense to focus on offline than it does online.

Even the way they are rolling out the online system is just idiotic. You want traction but you basically stick most of the servers with at least one pay dlc.
Went to join the GT3 server tonight thinking I had everything then... Whoops, sorry guy you didn't buy the last crappy BMW we just put out so, denied. Seriously? No wonder your companies financials are horrific with logic like that.
Yeah, another thing that is on the " we know about it, and are going to fix it, but we can't say when"
It takes a special kind of mindset to accidentaly ( I hope it was accidental? ), break something that worked as well as the ai, and then to just ignore it for years. It boggles my mind...

Last edited:
About rF2 AI, some weeks ago I was told the following by somebody more in the know than myself:
It has been stated numerous times that the issues are acknowledged but that they aren't at the top of the to-do list.
From this post: https://www.racedepartment.com/news...efresh-out-now.421/?page=15#ams-comment-24538

So probably yes, but don't hold your breath. I'm okay with that and will reinstall rF2 when the AI is back to working order.

It is an easily certifiable fact that the majority of simracers are offline players with the exception of iRacing.
About that, according to Reiza at least for AMS2 the split is about 50/50, but could be different for rF2 or across all sims, don't know.

Last edited:
About rF2 AI, some weeks ago I was told the following by somebody more in the know than myself:
It has been stated numerous times that the issues are acknowledged but that they aren't at the top of the to-do list.
So probably yes, but don't hold your breath.
Exactly!
I'm okay with that and will reinstall rF2 when the AI is back to working order.
If AI is important to you, Gevatter's attitude (as well as not buying further DLC) is the right way to go IMO.
I prefer offline racing, so I'm obviously sympathetic to this argument ex ante.

But here's what I find even weirder about Motorsport Games not investing in AI. Leave aside the few "simracers" who play rFactor 2 – what about all the more 'casual' players on console and PC they'd like to attract to their upcoming NASCAR, WEC, BTCC, and Indycar titles? Those sorts of officially licensed titles are almost invariably centred around offline single-player gameplay. Codemasters' F1 series is a good example of this. Those games will suffer massively if the rF2 engine doesn't get bugfixes or improvements to its AI one way or another! In other words, isn't now the most important, appropriate time to be working on the AI and other elements of a single player experience? Sure seems like it to me.

I edited the configs as advised but did a 20 car ai race last night at silverstone with gtes. On lap one 16 of them went into the pit and never came out ffs
did you have changeable weather? If you did not save the realroad from the last session, then the AI are clueless about track conditions at the start of a race. i.e. Run qualifying in the rain. Save real road. advance to the race after loading the saved real road. AI will then be ready for conditions as long as you didn't squeeze qualifying into a short time span. rF2 averages the changes to provide smooth transistions, if you ran short, abreviated sessions, the AI doesn't get a good look at the weather. Speeding up the process with CtrlX is ok, just don't skip from one unfinished session to the next.

There is a hundred things you test and tweak not just once but for each combo you drive
Fuel is pretty easy
Set fuel usage you wish and test
Make a setup and set fuel you need to make stop + another 2 laps incase you miss pit in or something
Save setup select car in customize and pick forced setup
Start session using same setup and fuel level
Now no AI will ever run out as long as you make the stop distance + 10% you got to leave
a bit more unforeseen happening

Another to remember, 95% AI will pit over 3 laps so pit when it tells you to even though you have fuel to do more laps, then if you end up sharing a pit box with AI try stop sooner or later
eventually you will find best settings for combo, fuel rate , stops etc. and just stick to them
Also fun to run forced setup full tanks then in race reset your stops on track real-time ( not AIs ) to 3/4 tank so running lighter faster to make up for extra stop some combos works some not

So, apparently this news came out on Monday, and I missed it until now, but Studio 397 devoted effort to improving AI behaviour on some of their tracks (presumably by fixing things in the AIW files). WOT? :roflmao: Check the changelog for details. Small changes, but... it's minor signs of life on the AI front, which is good news no matter how you slice it. :thumbsup:

In particular, it says in the changelog they changed the stupid bugs in the original release of Daytona that led to AI hitting pit walls or braking at the start finish line on the oval... those issues should not have been there to start with, but regardless, I'm glad they've been patched out.

No progress on fixing the underlying codebase for AI, which is the major challenge. But you gotta give credit where credit is due. Well done 397!

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 1 4.5%