iRacing: Latest Damage Model Improvements - New Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Check out the latest damage model progress in this new iRacing work-in-progress trailer.

Having reported a while ago that iRacing are looking at substantially revising the admittedly poor damage model within the simulation, this latest preview video released by the developers suggests that work is coming on rather nicely - adding a much needed and often overlooked dimension to the racing experience that in my humble opinion doesn't go far enough in many modern sim racing simulations.

As can be seen from the short video above, the new damage model looks to take things much further than ever before in iRacing, with considerably more visual damage affecting cars that have been involved in content with each other or the wall across the large variety of circuits available within the sim.

From flying wheels to big visual damage, the new model is indeed a very nice step in the right direction for the online only racing simulation.

iRacing Damage Model Video.jpg

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
That car is getting a new tyre model very soon as its widely accepted that its one of the worst on the service, taking one thing to represent every piece of content is just silly

Widely accepted by whom? I race in all of the main sims currently and I'd have to say that none of them have any major advantage over the others in terms of tire model. Yes, some are more forgiving at the limit, but I'm not sure that makes them more or less realistic.

• Deleted member 113561

That car is getting a new tyre model very soon as its widely accepted that its one of the worst on the service, taking one thing to represent every piece of content is just silly
The tire model is bad to the core, it is not a car specific thing. Just a lame excuse of yours.
Thiim also raced a lot iRacing prior to that video, he would have mentioned if this would be an exception, also listen closely what he says, he says it is a core issue. I saw another video where he complained about Mercedes GT3. It is well known within the sim racing community iRacing has the worst tire model amongst "sims".

If they bring it up to the standards of the other sims (ie. rFactor 2), fix netcode / server issues and improve the damage model & license system, then I think iRacing is worth the money it asks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how this is shaping up. As others have noted, it's not just visuals, they appear to be updating the physics of how objects interact with each other, which is why the videos seem to look more realistic than current iRacing collision physics.

That does look good. There are a few things iracing does which are best in class, circuits, organised competitive racing, voice chat, data and community etc, and it will be great to see damage join the list. No one knows what values have been placed on contact yet but the process has been one of stripping down all the cars into parts and their durability/effect. So while visually it looks great and will add many thrills, they will also be able to fine tune things per car / discipline, which has the potential to add a new meta to the racing. Great stuff.

1:14 + Nicki talking about another sim :)
Waste of time following your‎ attempt to explain away that you dont have any source for your praise of iRacings tire model:whistling:
At 1.14 Nicki is only talking about Aston Martin in rFactor(rF2?)
While he is just fooling around on Road America completely unserious joking with some of his online buddys about hawing some fun - hehe and about his penis.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

So much for your "documentation".:whistling:

114.jpg

Looks great, but for me the feel is much more important than the look. If the aero damage will still only lower your max speed without changing the car balance and behaviour then it won't be a big step forward imo.
Also the new tire model is a must. The actual one is just terrible.

Next big upgrade hopefully better tire model, it is the worst of all sims atm.

Yes but it's terrible..hope they fix it very soon.

The tire model is bad to the core, it is not a car specific thing.

So the counter argument is: I wish other sims would improve their multiplayer service, insert_name_here is bad at it's core with a terrible experience, but I'm hoping it's fixed soon. Look at what insert_name_here said. Online competition is the most important aspect of an online multiplayer sim title.

Going back to the actual topic, I wonder how incidents with debris on the track will be handled. I'm all up for more 'simulation' but if the driver in front wipes out and wrecks his ride, but my race is ruined because 1 piece from his yard sale bounced across the track to smack my car and dmg suspension or aero... how is that fun? We say we want a revolutionary dmg model, but are we actually ready to have our races ruined for entirely new, completely random reasons??

Waste of time following your‎ attempt to explain away that you dont have any source for your praise of iRacings tire model:whistling:
Sorry: Looks like I have taken friendly mr Sw1tchblade for samprince053!:x3:
Not realising that Sw1tchblade just tries to entertain us with some other (and maybe not so relevant) Nicki Thiim videos.
Hehe and at the same time I didnt see that samprince053 allready have thrown the towel in the ring - by admitting that he dont want to use any time to find any documentation for his former praise of iRacings TM.
I can only guess why he doesnt just post a link. :roflmao:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: After this little tire model intermezzo then lets go back to the orig theme about iRacings comming damage model.:thumbsup:

Going back to the actual topic, I wonder how incidents with debris on the track will be handled. I'm all up for more 'simulation' but if the driver in front wipes out and wrecks his ride, but my race is ruined because 1 piece from his yard sale bounced across the track to smack my car and dmg suspension or aero... how is that fun? We say we want a revolutionary dmg model, but are we actually ready to have our races ruined for entirely new, completely random reasons??

Maybe the threat of debris-induced damage will make people think before just charging straight through the scene of the accident as happens so much at the moment; at the moment, it seems people are happy with the "wrecker or chequer" approach. Not to mention that slowing up is often more dangerous (doubly so in the Skip Barber!)
Ah, the blind optimism of an iRacing fan. :) (Which I definitely am!)

Like many others here, it is the tyre model that most puts me off iRacing - in other sims I can push hard, feel the car start to slip away from me, and have a chance to rescue the situation; in iRacing I suddenly become a passenger once the tyre steps over some invisible grip line.
It may be the most complex, and indeed most accurate (up until the point where it isn't) tyre model, but for me it is the least satisfying, least likely to put a smile on my face. It is just so different from the other simulators that I have to consider it 'wrong.'

iRacing to me is like formula one : The changes coming next season are going to make it awesome!

Like many others here, it is the tyre model that most puts me off iRacing - in other sims I can push hard, feel the car start to slip away from me, and have a chance to rescue the situation; in iRacing I suddenly become a passenger once the tyre steps over some invisible grip line.
It may be the most complex, and indeed most accurate (up until the point where it isn't) tyre model, but for me it is the least satisfying, least likely to put a smile on my face. It is just so different from the other simulators that I have to consider it 'wrong.'

iRacing to me is like formula one : The changes coming next season are going to make it awesome!
iRacing has rather the most flawed tyre-mode of them all today and obviously wrong. Just one example: GTE-cars in iRacing should be driven with 1,2-1,3 bar (17-19 PSI), but the real cars are driving with 1,8-1,9 bar (26-28 psi) like seen here and this is the right pressure according to Michelin as well. pCars 2 does a better job with that i can tell. And the new tyre-model is a joke so far.

The best keeps getting better. I don't see another sim with a damage model that's even close to what they're showing right now.

Those of you hating on the tire model. Go ahead....I think if you had a direct drive wheel you'd have a much different opinion. Looking at all the sims right now, I find the iRacing model the most natural.

The best keeps getting better. I don't see another sim with a damage model that's even close to what they're showing right now.

Those of you hating on the tire model. Go ahead....I think if you had a direct drive wheel you'd have a much different opinion. Looking at all the sims right now, I find the iRacing model the most natural.

The trouble with the promotional video is that it was probably produced on a high end machine, possibly operating on a LAN or with AI cars, and not the average potato connected to a server on another continent. If I'm wrong, they ought to fire the video's producer for incompetence!

As for the tyre model - I can (but really shouldn't) jump between AC, ACC, R3E and Rf2 and have a similar driving experience in the type of cars I enjoy. It feels like improving in one means improving in the others. I just don't get that feeling with iRacing.
Now once we get AI on iracing, perhaps I can ditch the other titles and concentrate on the one game I'd most like to improve in. I really hope so.

If I hate the tyre model, it's only because I love everything else about iRacing.

If I hate the tyre model, it's only because I love everything else about iRacing.
Hehe maybe slightly over-exagerated with your love thing :D - but beside some minor issues (among others some of iRacings drivers :sneaky: ) I would promptly return to iRacing if they would just pay a fee to rF2 or Raceroom and use their tire model.
Yes and then "retire" Dave Kaemmer responsible for iRacings TM fiasco.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Its probably obvious Im a fan of the orig Blade Runner :sneaky:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.