Initial thoughts about AMS2 in EA

Let me start off by saying that I've been playing ACC exclusively for the last year so that’s really my only point of reference. I don’t have Automobilista or PC2. This post is quite long but I think it may be of interest to potential customers who also don’t have those sims.

Having heard all the praise for the original Automobilista, and in particular for the FFB, I've been looking forward to trying AMS2 for some time. Recent reports from those trying the beta have been, in general, very positive so I had high hopes of something good. I’ve now tried AMS2 and have formed an initial opinion. So what do I think? The short answer is that I’m a little underwhelmed!

Remember that this is purely my opinion and I’m aware that AMS2 is still in EA. Here’s what I think of the various aspects of the sim (all single player):

Graphics - generally good. The AA seems to work well enough and playbacks looked smooth. I would say that ACC is better though (better lighting, reflections and the environment generally) but I’m aware that we’re still some way from the full release of AMS2.

Sound - again, generally good. The problem for me is that the sounds in ACC are excellent and, comparatively speaking, AMS2 is nothing to write home about.

FFB - I tried a lot of different settings and, following some suggestions online, settled on 70-40-30 in the options for my T300. I was expecting a lot here and I have to say that I’m a little disappointed. Some cars seem to have much better FFB than others. The Formula Ultimate was fun to drive but seemed to have a lot of random, small inputs through the wheel at all speeds as if the track was very bumpy. However, others, like the Caterham 620R, just felt strange. I was getting an odd left/right delayed input whilst holding the wheel steady down most of the straights (almost like a heavily damped, low-frequency oscillation) which then tightened up noticeably into the corners. I understand that the FFB has improved markedly since the early beta releases and can only think it was quite bad initially.

Handling/physics - I’ve only driven a handful of the cars so far and then with default setups to see what the basic handling is like and it was something of a mixed bag. The Formula Ultimate was the best of those I tried. The handling seemed to be fairly neutral and slides were quite easy to catch. That said, I can’t believe that it’s realistic to be able to lock the brakes with so little pressure when initially slowing down from high speed. I re-calibrated the brakes and even set the brake sensitivity to 20% but still found it too easy to lockup. Considering that real F1 drivers talk about stamping on the brakes at the end of straights, I couldn’t even get to half travel without locking the wheels making it difficult to follow other cars closely. Some of the other cars I tried had a lot of oversteer by default and were quite easy to spin when cornering. A particular example was the Caterham. I could get half way around a bend and with no additional steering, throttle or brake inputs the back end would just suddenly break away almost as if it had hit a patch of oil. Work to be done here by the devs.

AI - I’ve only had a few short races so far but the AI looks promising. They seem to want to race you and, encouragingly, I did come around one corner to find the road blocked by two cars which had clearly had contact so appeared to have been racing each other!

Performance - seems very good. I have a 6700K with a GTX 1080 and 16GB RAM and at 1440p had no problems with a grid of 25 in the rain with mostly the highest settings.

Some observations - driving on the grass is like driving on ice. It’s also so bumpy that it was almost impossible to control the car at anything other than a very slow pace. In a few instances, even at low speed, as I drove back onto the tarmac in a straight line with very little throttle I was getting a sudden snap spin. The Caterham Super Sport had very sluggish acceleration compared to everything else I tried. I thought at first I had a lot of traction control set but TC was off. There were also some minor UI issues but I’m sure these will be fixed quickly.

My overall impression is that it’s quite good in some parts but not so much in others. It’s in EA and potentially has a lot of improvements coming but, although I’m optimistic, some things are definitely a bit of a disappointment for me at the moment. Unless there’s some magic combination of settings I’ve missed, I can’t currently understand why anyone is saying how impressive the FFB is. If what I'm feeling is as good, if not better (as some have said) than AMS1, I’m glad I didn’t buy that. I’m going to keep the sim because I’d like to think that Reiza will improve it significantly over the coming months. Ignoring the problems caused by coronavirus, it’s hard to imagine how they could have improved it enough in just a month of beta testing to have achieved the originally planned full release date of the end of March. I read recently someone saying that, even at this stage of development, it compares favourably with ACC. In my opinion that point is still a long way off at best. Its big advantage, of course, is the number of cars and classes it has compared to ACC. I bought AMS2 primarily to race open wheelers which, based on my limited testing with the Formula Ultimate (locking brakes aside) looks like being good fun. For GT3, I just can’t see how it will compete with ACC.

Remember that these are purely my personal opinions so please don’t reply telling me I’m wrong unless there’s some specific setting you think I’ve missed that improves any of the issues I’ve mentioned.

Last edited:
Graphics in VR I thought weren't that great. They compare OK ish with PC2 but the Antialiasing crawl was very obvious and this is one area that PC2 seemed to do better. I likely need a good dose of SSAA to get it to an acceptable level. It ran fine on the settings it chose but it didn't look great, I need to do more setup work here.

Handling/physics - Some of the behaviour seems very odd. I was trail braking and some cars would snap oversteer just as I was coming off and some would plough on like I was hard locked on the brakes with tiny inputs, it made no sense to me. Maybe this is just the braking pressure issue you are talking about because honestly I get very little in the way of feeling on the brakes and I have no idea if the wheels are locking really. I tried various formula cars so I could see the wheels but I never saw the wheel obviously stop. Is that vaguely squealing sound meant to be a lockup? It's not communicating that to me.

I agree the Caterham felt really weird. The P4 I was OK with (oversteered and understeered into corners like crazy though so mostly just braking in straight lines) but that was about the best of what i found in a few hours today.

AI - They seemed OK. They weren't super punty and they seemed to fight a little bit to retake a position but I don't recall them defending into corners. They did mostly just spread out in a procession.

Performance - ran fine in VR on a 1080ti, I can turn up the settings and need to.

Grass driving is awful at the moment, its far too slippy. The tracks, in general, are very bumpy and the grass is impressively bad. The gravel feels good and reasonable but the grass is ridiculous and suffers the half tire problem that ACC had before it went for the multiple patch tires and it will drag you off if you cross the magic line at all.

FFB - Ukkk its vague on turn-in and there isn't much ply at the limit on exit from what I gathered. This isn't AC/ACC levels, it must have been downright awful in beta for this to be an improvement, I think PC2 might actually be better in some ways, they certainly are very similar in my experience other than the bumpy feel AMS2 has.

My impressions were the cars vary a lot, I genuinely hate the FFB so far and I don't understand what is going on with braking and turning at all. Not impressed so far, needs a lot of work.

However, others, like the Caterham 620R, just felt strange
I agree the Caterham felt really weird

The first car I took was the Caterham on a track I know very well, just practice. The Caterham was a good choice for me in trying to evaluate AMS 2 since I have it in most other SIM I use and enjoy, so even though they drive slightly differently in every SIM, they are still a Caterham. The AMS 2 Caterham is weird.
Reading some comments from people defending AMS 2 recommending the Caterham as a good representative car to enjoy with AMS 2 is also very weird. It also confirmed that AMS 2 is probably great for them but not for me. Which is fine, as opposed to the AMS 2 defense brigade, I can happily live with a different opinion.
I also tried other cars, but none convinced me that this Early Access was for me.
I did not experience AMS either before I only drive in VR, my only experience with Reiza is with the RF2 DLC and the content both track and cars was very good.
Looking at the very small player base of AMS, peak of less than 200 player daily, makes one wonder what all the noise and praise are about, even though their supporter are very vocal. Tackling the SMS engine raised some serious concern, time will tell if they have been judicious on choosing this engine. It is too early to tell and I hope for their sake and my future enjoyment that Reiza will rise to the challenge and deliver a premium SIM experience.

Handling/physics - Some of the behaviour seems very odd. I was trail braking and some cars would snap oversteer just as I was coming off and some would plough on like I was hard locked on the brakes with tiny inputs, it made no sense to me. Maybe this is just the braking pressure issue you are talking about because honestly I get very little in the way of feeling on the brakes and I have no idea if the wheels are locking really. I tried various formula cars so I could see the wheels but I never saw the wheel obviously stop. Is that vaguely squealing sound meant to be a lockup? It's not communicating that to me.

If the brakes are locking up with minimal pressure on pedal, something is definitely not right.
At the very least, try to recalibrate the pedals in-game. Some pedals with load cell may require additional setup, you may want to look on Reiza forums

If the brakes are locking up with minimal pressure on pedal, something is definitely not right.
At the very least, try to recalibrate the pedals in-game. Some pedals with load cell may require additional setup, you may want to look on Reiza forums

I’ve calibrated them twice in the game. Reading through some of the beta posts I noticed that other people have commented on this issue prior to the EA release. It doesn’t happen with all cars so I suspect it’s down to something to do with the car model.

I think the Caterham 620 drives well but not as raw as the one in AMS.
But the streetcar Ultima 720 really behaves like a pussy(stepping on throttle everywhere) vs the supertailhappy one in AMS.

Feel and FFB are less raw and less mechanical which is a pity. But ok this is still EA.

EDIT: And how do you guys take screenshot? Even the normal printscreen key doesn't seem to work atm?

Cheers
Robin

The AI seemed okay, except for the fact that they can take turns and high speed curves a hell of a lot faster than the human driver. They have way too much grip. At Virginia I'm damn near drifting around the turns and fast curves and they stay planted. There were videos about this. I don't believe this happens on every track, but when it does, boy does it! Looks like a lot of lone driving learning tracks. But thats fun too. It will probably take time to tune the AI. I really wanted have a go with them at Virginia. Going to try a different class.

Let me start of by saying that I've been playing ACC exclusively for the last year so that’s really my only point of reference. I don’t have Automobilista or PC2. This post is quite long but I think it may be of interest to potential customers who also don’t have those sims.

Having heard all the praise for the original Automobilista, and in particular for the FFB, I've been looking forward to trying AMS2 for some time. Recent reports from those trying the beta have been, in general, very positive so I had high hopes of something good. I’ve now tried AMS2 and have formed an initial opinion. So what do I think? The short answer is that I’m a little underwhelmed!

Remember that this is purely my opinion and I’m aware that AMS2 is still in EA. Here’s what I think of the various aspects of the sim (all single player):

Graphics - generally good. The AA seems to work well enough and playbacks looked smooth. I would say that ACC is better though (better lighting, reflections and the environment generally) but I’m aware that we’re still some way from the full release of AMS2.

Sound - again, generally good. The problem for me is that the sounds in ACC are excellent and, comparatively speaking, AMS2 is nothing to write home about.

FFB - I tried a lot of different settings and, following some suggestions online, settled on 70-40-30 in the options for my T300. I was expecting a lot here and I have to say that I’m a little disappointed. Some cars seem to have much better FFB than others. The Formula Ultimate was fun to drive but seemed to have a lot of random, small inputs through the wheel at all speeds as if the track was very bumpy. However, others, like the Caterham 620R, just felt strange. I was getting an odd left/right delayed input whilst holding the wheel steady down most of the straights (almost like a heavily damped, low-frequency oscillation) which then tightened up noticeably into the corners. I understand that the FFB has improved markedly since the early beta releases and can only think it was quite bad initially.

Handling/physics - I’ve only driven a handful of the cars so far and then with default setups to see what the basic handling is like and it was something of a mixed bag. The Formula Ultimate was the best of those I tried. The handling seemed to be fairly neutral and slides were quite easy to catch. That said, I can’t believe that it’s realistic to be able to lock the brakes with so little pressure when initially slowing down from high speed. I re-calibrated the brakes and even set the brake sensitivity to 20% but still found it too easy to lockup. Considering that real F1 drivers talk about stamping on the brakes at the end of straights, I couldn’t even get to half travel without locking the wheels making it difficult to follow other cars closely. Some of the other cars I tried had a lot of oversteer by default and were quite easy to spin when cornering. A particular example was the Caterham. I could get half way around a bend and with no additional steering, throttle or brake inputs the back end would just suddenly break away almost as if it had hit a patch of oil. Work to be done here by the devs.

AI - I’ve only had a few short races so far but the AI looks promising. They seem to want to race you and, encouragingly, I did come around one corner to find the road blocked by two cars which had clearly had contact so appeared to have been racing each other!

Performance - seems very good. I have a 6700K with a GTX 1080 and 16GB RAM and at 1440p had no problems with a grid of 25 in the rain with mostly the highest settings.

Some observations - driving on the grass is like driving on ice. It’s also so bumpy that it was almost impossible to control the car at anything other than a very slow pace. In a few instances, even at low speed, as I drove back onto the tarmac in a straight line with very little throttle I was getting a sudden snap spin. The Caterham Super Sport had very sluggish acceleration compared to everything else I tried. I thought at first I had a lot of traction control set but TC was off. There were also some minor UI issues but I’m sure these will be fixed quickly.

My overall impression is that it’s quite good in some parts but not so much in others. It’s in EA and potentially has a lot of improvements coming but, although I’m optimistic, some things are definitely a bit of a disappointment for me at the moment. Unless there’s some magic combination of settings I’ve missed, I can’t currently understand why anyone is saying how impressive the FFB is. If what I'm feeling is as good, if not better (as some have said) than AMS1, I’m glad I didn’t buy that. I’m going to keep the sim because I’d like to think that Reiza will improve it significantly over the coming months. Ignoring the problems caused by coronavirus, it’s hard to imagine how they could have improved it enough in just a month of beta testing to have achieved the originally planned full release date of the end of March. I read recently someone saying that, even at this stage of development, it compares favourably with ACC. In my opinion that point is still a long way off at best. Its big advantage, of course, is the number of cars and classes it has compared to ACC. I bought AMS2 primarily to race open wheelers which, based on my limited testing with the Formula Ultimate (locking brakes aside) looks like being good fun. For GT3, I just can’t see how it will compete with ACC.

Remember that these are purely my personal opinions so please don’t reply telling me I’m wrong unless there’s some specific setting you think I’ve missed that improves any of the issues I’ve mentioned.
A well written review with no hate nor praise, sums up my experience with AMS 2 pretty good.
A bit underwhelming but not to the point where it can't be a good product in the future.

The best part of AMS for me was to see all the changes it went through. All the way from EA to the last patch. See how it developed with flatspots, proper turbo implementation, all the AI changes etc etc. It was a really fun and exciting journey and I hope I get the same experience with AMS 2.

If you want to know what AMS1 is like, take the Stock Car V8 for a spin. It's not exactly as in AMS1 but it's fairly close imo.

A well written review with no hate nor praise, sums up my experience with AMS 2 pretty good.
A bit underwhelming but not to the point where it can't be a good product in the future.

The best part of AMS for me was to see all the changes it went through. All the way from EA to the last patch. See how it developed with flatspots, proper turbo implementation, all the AI changes etc etc. It was a really fun and exciting journey and I hope I get the same experience with AMS 2.

If you want to know what AMS1 is like, take the Stock Car V8 for a spin. It's not exactly as in AMS1 but it's fairly close imo.
Yeah, I couldn't get enough of the Stock Cars in AMS1

Ok - my two cents to this conversation. Just bought the early access today. To get perspective, Im using Thrustmaster T-GT (basically a buffed t500rs on pc), so this might not apply to you with DD wheels, and I come from strong GT Sport background. That said i've also been playing some other stuff lately - most important here propably Dirt rally 2 and iRacing. For fellow GTS t-gt players - 80% of the time in GTS my t-gt is on "other", as i dont care much of the extra rumble.

So - my thoughts on AM2. First of all the irrelevant stuff to me. Yes the car models or textures are very basic at this point and same goes with trackside detail. There is lighting, effects and plenty of detail inside the cars, so i assume these simplified cars and tracksides are not final. Also some car specs seem to be still off, as 400hp 1200kg rwd car loses momentum well below 150kph uphill on 4th gear. Feels more like 130hp. But thats propably just work in progress.

Sounds seem to receive positive feedback, and the sound design is tecnically well done. Im just missing that certain raw low growl through out the whole sound spectrum. Sound seem like they have lost dynamics at some point of mix/pack.

Then the main piece - how does it drive (with t-gt)? Well there is a lot of good. The actual physics - weight changes, grip and the weight of the vehicles seem very nice. You feel very clearly the side-to-side weight changes. Cars seem to have pretty natural amout of grip and one can push the limits quite well. This to me means i was very quickly able to drive intuitively - catch slides and find the amount of grip each car has and figure out braking distances and entry speeds.

That said - the snappy pulling on the wheel as the cars weight shifts from side to side, big bumbs on and off track and buzzing curbs are pretty much all I feel. There were some moments where I thought I felt very slightly the steering get heavy under braking and some car/ffb setting combos gave me jumping/shaking wheel -feel on grip loss especially downhill like T1 of Brandshatch. But how ever I mixed the FFB setting, I couldnt find ANY feel for the tire. Like if you accelerate through a turn there is no change what so ever on ffb no matter if you have grip or you loose the grip until you catch a slide and cars weight shifts and ffb comes alive. No weight nor lightness. No shake. Anything you feel at any point feels like interpretion of vertical forces of suspension - nothing from tire. Nothing from contact/grip to road nor any kind of woble from tire flexing.

Im very divided on my opinion at the moment. I like AM2 as a early beta, but theres still a massive amount of work to do before it feels like a whole consistent experience. I have given it 96 minutes, and it still has a change to prove me it can become a polished experience in the future, before Im faced with the to or not to refund decision. Propably my optimistic side wants to believe AM2 can reach its potential and Ill take the 27€ gamble on it.

Last edited:
Graphics in VR I thought weren't that great. They compare OK ish with PC2 but the Antialiasing crawl was very obvious and this is one area that PC2 seemed to do better. I likely need a good dose of SSAA to get it to an acceptable level. It ran fine on the settings it chose but it didn't look great, I need to do more setup work here.

Do you use Oculus? If so, set AMS2 just like PC2 with "sharpeningstrength" parameters. Furthermore, if you got a RTX, you will benefit by VRSS. Graphics is great as well as PC2 (so the best VR if you can max out), even if some models/texture/lights seems to be not fully finished. It is still "flat".

About FFB and physics. I'm in love with PC2 and I found some similarities and differences. It seems the same... but it is not the same... and I'm not able to explain the differences at the moment!!! However, I spent some time to "understand" the cars, in terms of FFB and behavior of the cars.

I like the FFB, but I dont know if it is better or worse of Jack Spade PC2 ... it seems just different. However, I think is a interesting EA, lets see it in the future.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with the brakes (Formula ultimate). I don't know if it's the right way but it worked for me. I changed the brake pressure from 90 to 50% (minimum). Now, I have better brake control and the wheels aren't locking up so frequently (only with a hard pedal pressure).
This configuration is under the advanced setup, Tyres/Brakes/chassis session.

I don't know if it's the right way but it worked for me. I changed the brake pressure from 90 to 50% (minimum).

This is just a workaround rather than a fix. Why should you have to turn the brake pressure down to the minimum setting just to attempt to make the brakes controllable? In the most recent update, Reiza talked about changing the brake feel so they obviously realise their are still issues with the braking despite what many people have been saying.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back