IndyCar: 2019 Grand Prix of Alabama Discussion Thread

Not really 'open wheelers' though, are they? :rolleyes:
If you are referring to the previous manufacturer aerokit era cars, rear wheels were indeed very covered because of the bumper pods and extra aero parts. This is how they look now on the road courses:
02-13.jpg

I’d say they are pretty open;)

Yeah, I was referring to the photo in the OP. I don't know anything about (or have any interest in) indycars.

Yea, those were the ~2016-2017 manufacturer spec aero kits. I wasn't a fan, either. Hideously ugly, too many little bits that constantly got broken off causing debris cautions, and overall the cars made too much downforce.

The new (from 2018) kits look beautiful, have less downforce and basically no little bits to break off (see the Rossi-Pagenaut contact at COTA for evidence of why it's a great thing! Two open wheel cars coming together, one getting some decent airtime, and no debris, no caution. The car in the air even continued on without damage :D). I hadn't really been following Indycar much at all since the late 90s myself, but this new kit has provided for some spectacular racing. Most exciting series I watched in 2018. If you're at all interested in modern racing, I highly suggest giving it a watch. All of the 2018 races are archived on the official Youtube channel. Mid-Ohio was especially great; if you don't want to bother with it all maybe just give that one a watch and see if it tickles your fancy.

I'd also recommend Toronto. But I might be a tad biased there... :D

Yeah, IndyCar is pretty great. The fact that it’s a spec series means it’s unpredictable, even with heavyweight teams like Penske in the mix. Good mix of drivers and at least half of them could take a win on any given day. Typically they can run closer than F1 and the fact that they mix up road courses and ovals (including the awesome Indy 500 of course) really keeps things interesting. It’s a great series, worth checking out, and that’s coming from an F1 fan...

Glad to see you all enjoying our little racing car series. :) The racing has been really great lately and so far this season has been pretty exciting! The new body kit sure has improved the racing. Can't wait to see them in person at the hallowed grounds next month. :inlove:

Glad to see you all enjoying our little racing car series. :) The racing has been really great lately and so far this season has been pretty exciting! The new body kit sure has improved the racing. Can't wait to see them in person at the hallowed grounds next month. :inlove:

You’re going to Indianapolis? I’m so tempted to go too, would love to experience that in the flesh. One of the worlds greatest races, hands down. Go Alonso!

Awesome!

I've thought about making that trip in the past, but I'm not a big oval fan and the idea of sitting in an open grandstand baking in the sun isn't so nice to me. I'd love to experience the event, but just not quite enough to spend the money on it. I've been to Toronto, Barber, Sonoma and Mid-O for Indycar races in the last few years, though, and I'm keen to go to more. If my situation improves this summer I'd like to try to get to Portland later this year.

You’re going to Indianapolis? I’m so tempted to go too, would love to experience that in the flesh. One of the worlds greatest races, hands down. Go Alonso!

Oh yeah, I live about 30 minutes away and go all the time. My best estimate is I've been there over 100 times and probably witnessed about 50 different races there. It's my most favorite place. You should come, I'll give you the tour and show you where to find the best tenderloins. ;) Bring comfy walking shoes and lots of water, it's a long day with a lot of walking! And also the largest spectator event in the world, pretty cool being in the middle of a quarter million people. :cool:

Awesome!

I've thought about making that trip in the past, but I'm not a big oval fan and the idea of sitting in an open grandstand baking in the sun isn't so nice to me. I'd love to experience the event, but just not quite enough to spend the money on it.

To be fair, Indy is not like normal ovals. Even the drivers say it drives like a road course that only has four turns, and in most recent years it's been a real thriller. And besides that, the race is only part of the reason for going, it is an event and a spectacle that is a real experience to be part of. You don't have to bake in the grandstand either, most of the outer frontstretch grandstand has a roof on it. My current seats are under the roof just behind the start/finish line, last year tied the hottest 500 on record and I was just fine in my shady seat. ;) If you're a motorsports fan you owe it to yourself to take the race in at least once, it's a grand spectacle for sure.

IMS Selfie 1.jpg

Last edited:
To be fair, Indy is not like normal ovals. Even the drivers say it drives like a road course that only has four turns, and in most recent years it's been a real thriller. And besides that, the race is only part of the reason for going, it is an event and a spectacle that is a real experience to be part of. You don't have to bake in the grandstand either, most of the outer frontstretch grandstand has a roof on it. My current seats are under the roof just behind the start/finish line, last year tied the hottest 500 on record and I was just fine in my shady seat. ;) If you're a motorsports fan you owe it to yourself to take the race in at least once, it's a grand spectacle for sure.

That's my main desire for wanting to attend, for sure. :) Glad to see there's shade to be had. As a Canadian, I can't deal with the heat. I used to get mild heat stroke at least 4 or 5 times every summer. Sonoma was murder, almost no shade to be had anywhere there.

(BTW, Subaru represent!)

That's my main desire for wanting to attend, for sure. :) Glad to see there's shade to be had. As a Canadian, I can't deal with the heat. I used to get mild heat stroke at least 4 or 5 times every summer. Sonoma was murder, almost no shade to be had anywhere there.

Yep, I went to a NASCAR race in Vegas last summer, no shade and temps over 100º F. Despite pounding fluids all day and finding shade when I could I still got massive dehydration and was ill for the next five days. But that's never really happened to me at Indy, there are some places to find shade and it's usually not quite that hot. Last couple years for The 500 they even brought several city busses in and parked them around the infield with the a/c running so you could duck in there and cool down for a bit.

Full disclosure, the shady seats on the front stretch aren't the best for viewing the on-track action but you get to see them blasting by at full chat, you get to see all the pit action, lots of video boards around for replays, and prime viewing of the opening ceremonies. Plus, shade, so for me the trade-off is good. Here's a few of my pics from last year to give you an idea of the view.

33657200_10156443791842630_745587862816161792_n.jpg
33704758_10156443791357630_5904626648044535808_n.jpg
33761710_10156443098292630_3798411403761549312_o.jpg
33768734_10156443779057630_1046200543782895616_n.jpg
33769762_10156443790622630_3227052935166820352_n.jpg
33828468_10156443791457630_6737626076110913536_n.jpg

(BTW, Subaru represent!)

Fam! A couple years ago I got to camp in the infield for the Indy GP, here's my WRX with an IndyCar in the background ripping around the road course. :D

IMG_0633.JPG

And here we are at Subiefest in Chicago last summer getting ready to do AutoX! :cool:

IMG_0630.JPG

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes