Ideas in making Fanatec's McLaren GT3 wheel stiffer?

I'm an incessant tinkerer which goes hand-in-hand in being a little bit OCD. I really like Fanatec's latest wheel - the McLaren GT3. A small niggling thing about it though is because it is plastic there is some flex. In watching SRG's review of the wheel where Barry has it apart, I can see the gusseting employed to help stiffen the unit. I'm wondering if I fill the various pockets with epoxy, if it would noticeably stiffen the wheel without adding much weight or would the results be negligible.

Wondering if anyone with a structural engineer background or penchant for these things have any opinions/suggestion.

I was thinking about sandwhiching an aluminum plate, like 2-3mm thick between the front and the rest of the housing, but that'd require spacing out the PCB by the same amount also.

But i guess just pouring some epoxy would be a lot cheaper/easier.

And it seems most of the flex resides in the back housing rather than the connection between the front & back.

Upvote 0
Does epoxy etc helps to get rid of all kind of plasticky creaks and similar sounds which this wheelrim make?
Of oourse they are not loud but you hear them(sometimes feel also little bit) and they annoys me so damn much.

In my case they mostly comes from grips-areas, or at least I think so.

Upvote 0
Attach the transparent tape as shown in the picture.
Assemble.
Trim off the protruding tape with a cutter knife.
It's very solid and doesn't make any noise.

Attachments

• 수정됨_20210809_235133.jpg
    수정됨_20210809_235133.jpg
    923.3 KB · Views: 522
  • 수정됨_20210810_000243.jpg
    수정됨_20210810_000243.jpg
    951.5 KB · Views: 469
  • 수정됨_20210810_001303.jpg
    수정됨_20210810_001303.jpg
    834.6 KB · Views: 411
Upvote 0
Attach the transparent tape as shown in the picture.
Assemble.
Trim off the protruding tape with a cutter knife.
It's very solid and doesn't make any noise.

Wow. Just did this and it really worked a treat. Wheel was very creaky beforehand and now silent as anything. Thanks Bigshot

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back