Ideal VR wheel[s]?

Sadly, I'd need someone to reverse engineer their wireless protocol,
finding their wheel bases uncompelling.
By weird coincidence,
Mike just reviewed MOZA's Universal Hub and Third-Party Wheel Base Mount:
... for wiring their wheel to USB without their wheel base.
Perhaps Asetek and/or Simagic will be motivated to do the same
or, better, up the ante by offering a wireless universal hub.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

I agree about looks and respect their reputation, but
  • thumb encoders are IMO weirdly located
  • not great experience with (Fanatec and LogiTech) funky/joystick controls while driving.
You could be right, hard to tell without handling the wheel itself, this is claim from web site though. And pretty sure Ascher is using better quality thumbsticks than Fanatec or Logitech.
1673209373811.png

• Deleted member 197115

Not much info on this new wheel, but this video is somewhat informative if not biased.
Compares against Cube Controls F-Pro which is another great contender.

Last edited by a moderator:
this video is somewhat informative if not biased.
Thanks for the link.
I had been unaware that Cube Controls' F-Pro had 4 nicely placed thumbwheels, but it is also a notch more expensive than Chinese alternatives.

6 March 2024 update: F-Pro thumbwheels are slightly too small and stiff,
requiring unpleasant pressure until callouses develop.
Otherwise, a pleasure to use.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Thanks for the link. I had been unaware that Cube Controls' F-Pro had 4 nicely placed thumbwheels, but it is also a notch more expensive than Chinese alternatives.
The cool, at least on paper, thing about Cube is that its wireless is just standard BT connecting directly to PC, so you are not locked to proprietary BT like SC1/2.
On the other hand reliability of Cube wheels and support are on spotty side.

Here are the three best VR wheels, in my opinion. They are the three I have been eyeing to replace my F-28 this year...I've spent a ton of time researching and thinking through this. I don't like Cube's QC or design, so have eliminated though. Deep down I want the GSI Hyper P1, but in VR, I don't need the screen. Through all of my deliberation, these three have stood out to me.

• All have plenty of buttons
  • All have plenty of rotaries
  • All have thumb encoders
  • All can have dual paddles

52582251810_1950178e19_c.jpg

52396641361_4b776e3d37_o.jpg

Screenshot-2022-12-06-145805.jpg

Edit: I can't get the 3rd image to load for the Ascher McLaren SC but here is a direct link.... https://simracing-unlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Screenshot-2022-12-06-145805.jpg

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Here are the three best VR wheels, in my opinion. They are the three I have been eyeing to replace my F-28 this year...I've spent a ton of time researching and thinking through this. I don't like Cube's QC or design, so have eliminated though. Deep down I want the GSI Hyper P1, but in VR, I don't need the screen. Through all of my deliberation, these three have stood out to me.

• All have plenty of buttons
  • All have plenty of rotaries
  • All have thumb encoders
  • All can have dual paddles

52582251810_1950178e19_c.jpg

52396641361_4b776e3d37_o.jpg

Screenshot-2022-12-06-145805.jpg

Edit: I can't get the 3rd image to load for the Ascher McLaren SC but here is a direct link.... https://simracing-unlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Screenshot-2022-12-06-145805.jpg
Bigger picture, video of current lineup including McLaren wheels.
1673369273752.png

Looks more ergonomic than F64-V3, rotaries in particular.

After watching the first review of the GRID MPX and seeing some initial thoughts in a review thread on another forum…I’ve pre-ordered it. Will share initial thoughts on it when I get it.

The hardware (switches and rotaries) list plus all the raving about the great ergonomics made it a no brainer for me.

HI,
using a FANATEC DD1 WHEELBASE currently and wanting to upgrade my racing wheel to more high-end.
looking at exactly the same wheels : ASCHER F64V3 / ASCHER MCLAREN series / GRID MPX, where currently only the F64V3 is available on the market, McLaren has a release date for end Q3/2023 ? and the much beloved GRID MPX is out-of-stock again ... (China replenishments flow ??).

that said : I have a particular question on the combo wheelbase DD1 and the type of HUB one needs to install to enable both DD1 and GRID MPX working correctly. I realize GRID MPX is communicating with PC through its USB.
But do we need the PODIUM HUB to enable the DD1 working correctly ?
according to GRID ENGINEERING even the UNIV HUB V2 should be able to do the trick ...... yet, I doubt this as I haven't seen anyone in any reviews using this combo with a working FANATEC DD.

I have had similar thoughts due to the location of the rotors on my Simagic GT1-R as I have to lift my hand off the wheel to use them. It's sort-of ok since I don't really use them for in-race adjustment, but even so I'm considering making something myself and recently saw someone post their own design on reddit which piqued my interest:

View attachment 530727

I like that there are two rotors at the top similar to the Formula style wheels. I haven't seen a wheel button plate with this before. I'm also thinking about having buttons on the back of the box so I can operate them with my index finger. Essentially I'm hoping to have buttons/rotors in the upper half only. I'm still looking to see if anyone sells anything like this, but no joy so far.

The design for the above is available for a small fee: https://pokornyiengineering.com/collections/diy-designs/products/gt2-plate-diy-files
I want to order a similar one. I think it's quite expensive compared to the others. Please tell me how long have you been using it and what disadvantages have you found?

Last edited:
While the unversal hub may or may not work, the Podium Hub is a much cleaner installation and cheaper (unless you already own one or find a good deal).

Last edited:
The Polsimer F74 for example is nice and cheap and quite button rich while being quite usable for those OSW wheels.
I've been using this for a year and a half now and can absolutely recommend it to VR players with a focus on GT/LMP/Formula cars. The buttons are all within reach, the wheel can be used "blindly" very well, and especially the two funky switches are a treat.
I mapped all necessary car functions, VR centering, PTT (for Voice Attack) and navigation (via Joy2Key) to it, so I don't have to take my hands off the wheel once I fired up ACC.

BTW: There is a new version with clutch paddles available.

• Deleted member 197115

What is happening with Ascher? Their website appears infested.

Meanwhile, have resurveyed approx 300mm rims with thumbwheels for VR,
Moza KS beckons.
Looks like they are updating it with McLaren wheels.

And btw, got myself F64v3 recently and thumbwheel is actually quite easily reachable without releasing the grip. Build quality is quite stunning, the best built wheel in my collection.

I find wheels less than 300mm diameter or over $600 uncomfortable.
:roflmao:

And btw, got myself F64v3 recently and thumbwheel is actually quite easily reachable without releasing the grip. Build quality is quite stunning, the best built wheel in my collection.
I honestly love my F64 v3 :)

I found the rubber material a bit sticky in the beginning as some reviews also mention, but now I think this is absolutely the best material for a wheel grip there is.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.