HUGE IMSA Weekend Coming up: Motul Petit Le Mans At Road Atlanta

What would be even more fun is to have an official IMSA game coming out soon :)

To the best of my knowledge, AC has 6 (RaceDepartment legal, aka "non-rips") of the tracks on the schedule, lacking Long Beach, Mid Ohio, Belle Isle, Canadian Tire Motorsports Park and Lime Rock Park, all of which is a darn shame.

Substitutions for a RD or at home series could include Riverside, Bridgehampton and New Jersey.

To my count AC has 4 GTE/LM cars but no real Prototypes (LMP2's) ... but a bunch of GTD's!

iRacing holds the licence and could run the following cars:
Prototypes: Corvette C7 Daytona Prototype
GTE: Ferrari / Porsche / Ford
GTD: Ferrari / Mercedes / Audi

I have no clue about the Corvette, but the GTD Merc and Audi are both a little dated, the rest are basically up to date. In their series they do not run the Ferrari gt3 since the engine only allows for six different cars on any given server.
developing a p2 (ligier/oreca/...) would fill a gap both here and in the leMans grid. c'mon iRacing ;)

I wish IMSA would make a stream with only car sounds. I dont understand english well (especially the cool British accent) so that would be great and also watching racing series with multiple engines without narration is amazing.
Wish all sports could be without a MC-type announcers who think their yaking is necessary for me to watch a game.

iRacing holds the licence and could run the following cars:
Prototypes: Corvette C7 Daytona Prototype
GTE: Ferrari / Porsche / Ford
GTD: Ferrari / Mercedes / Audi

I have no clue about the Corvette, but the GTD Merc and Audi are both a little dated, the rest are basically up to date. In their series they do not run the Ferrari gt3 since the engine only allows for six different cars on any given server.
developing a p2 (ligier/oreca/...) would fill a gap both here and in the leMans grid. c'mon iRacing ;)

The DP is entire worlds away from the performance of a P2 or a DPi - you'd use the HPD P2 instead which is still absurdly dated. iRacing should really just do an Oreca P2, it's the one most people use IRL...

rF2 seems to be developing an IMSA field slowly.

The Suzuka 10hrs feed I had was completely lacking in commentary - was a rather strange, relaxing and satisfying experience, given how in GT3 all you really need is the timing. Just using the timing with IMSA gets me completely lost :p

Wish all sports could be without a MC-type announcers who think their yaking is necessary for me to watch a game.
Indeed, a few comments talking about stuff not showing on screen would be enough.
But in racing with different engines watching it with only car sounds is just perfect.
And also I'm not a fan of Shea narrating the proto challenge >_<

I absolutely loved that. I was rooting for the #86 Acura, and while it was close, things didn't work out championship-wise in the end.
But overall, that event was everything I expected it to be and more. I'll definitely push to attend again next year.

Was rooting for 86 too, so near but not quite. But boy what a way to finish a race! can you imagine being Albuquerque ( or Nasr! )... and Ollie Jarvis very nearly finished the race by grinding the car down on the old pit wall.

Tony Garcia is a very lucky champion...

Really WEC should use DPi as top class instead. Take -50hp or so from P2 since it's a spec engine and let them race.
It has more manufacturers, they usually invite people to the track (first year without Audi even Le Mans has huge areas totally empty because their guests were no longer there), costs way less, win win.

Really WEC should use DPi as top class instead. Take -50hp or so from P2 since it's a spec engine and let them race.
It has more manufacturers, they usually invite people to the track (first year without Audi even Le Mans has huge areas totally empty because their guests were no longer there), costs way less, win win.

Except the DPi chassis are LMP2 and manufacturers want to use their own, and the ACO always tries to promote innovation in motorsport ( often reasonably successfully - P1-H was a bit of an outlier, it was a great idea they didn't really think through enough ). To be honest they need more chassis in P2, it's basically an Oreca spec series at this point...

Except the DPi chassis are LMP2 and manufacturers want to use their own, and the ACO always tries to promote innovation in motorsport ( often reasonably successfully - P1-H was a bit of an outlier, it was a great idea they didn't really think through enough ). To be honest they need more chassis in P2, it's basically an Oreca spec series at this point...
In LMP1H history only 3 were brave enough to "use their own" and it didn't go well.
DPi is the way to go till the world decides what path it will follow and (if electric) the tech for endurance becomes more viable.
DPi would instantly bring Ford onboard as they want something that can be used on both series with same costs (hybrids wont make this happen, too expensive). And they are already planning a car for that class I think the Ford GT will be done at the end of this WEC super season.
While DPi is based on P2 chassis it has some things P2 chassis are not allowed, for example onboard ARB adjustments and free gear ratios. DPi is also naturally faster, they have been slowed down a lot to fit both cars in the same class.
I'm sure if they announced DPi as main class you'd see Zak putting a McLaren car in WEC. Heck I'll bet you can get an Audi car with that formula, and that would also bring Porsche as they dont want anyone getting close to their record wins at Le Mans

I am so happy that Fox Sports (FS1 & FS2) will not be covering IMSA races next year. Having to switch channels several times throughout the race is a drag. Also I agree that the broadcasters constant yakking about anything except what it going on on the track sux out loud. They miss so much of the important stuff.

Hopefully CNBC Sports will do a better job.

In LMP1H history only 3 were brave enough to "use their own" and it didn't go well.
DPi is the way to go till the world decides what path it will follow and (if electric) the tech for endurance becomes more viable.
DPi would instantly bring Ford onboard as they want something that can be used on both series with same costs (hybrids wont make this happen, too expensive). And they are already planning a car for that class I think the Ford GT will be done at the end of this WEC super season.
While DPi is based on P2 chassis it has some things P2 chassis are not allowed, for example onboard ARB adjustments and free gear ratios. DPi is also naturally faster, they have been slowed down a lot to fit both cars in the same class.
I'm sure if they announced DPi as main class you'd see Zak putting a McLaren car in WEC. Heck I'll bet you can get an Audi car with that formula, and that would also bring Porsche as they dont want anyone getting close to their record wins at Le Mans

Porsche using an Oreca chassis for a works entry? you really think that'd happen? let alone Toyota who run the LMPs out of their R&D budget, or the other VAG entries, or BMW. Aston-Martin and Peugeot would be the one who *might*, and for that I'd see A-M being about as involved as they are in the DTM effort ( ie, lending the badge ) rather than a works entry. Anyway it won't happen, the new 2020 regs are being finalised right now. You might note that DPi as it currently is also expires in 2020, so IMSA will probably get something new too.

P2 is working because it's cost-capped more than anything else. The new hybrid regs are supposedly cost-capped for the hybrid unit, and the requirement is that anyone building a car can get any unit, so if they actually think this through properly then it should work ok. 50/50 on "think this through properly" at the moment, it's a bit rushed...

Only 3 went for P1-H because 1) the ACO screwed it up and 2) Peugeot promised to join and then bailed out at the last second. There were plenty of other LMP1 entries, and there were plenty of P2 entries even before they turned it into a spec series.

I dont think it would happen, I'm sure it would happen ;)
I dont care about P2 so....
Only 3 went for P1 because it makes no sense to spend mid grid F1 levels of budget for a single race since the rest of the championship almost nobody cares.
DPi runs till 2021 https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/imsa-extends-lmp2-dpi-gte-homologation-periods/ with that you can expect one year transition thus these cars will run till 2022.
I'll believe the hypercar regs when the green flag waves for the first race.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/10/17/30-questions-answered-on-2020-hypercar-regulations.html - new P1 reg details. €2M cap for hybrid system. This might actually work, provided they don't screw the details ( the aero caps are rather vague... ). From the example models Ford could use the current GT as the base shape for a P1 :p

Manufacturers have run entire P1 programs *just* for Le Mans in the past, when the WEC hasn't been running. There's enough prestige for that race to justify a budget ( apparently - I personally don't think so, but European & Japanese corporate management seems to think so ).

Porsche aren't going to run a works effort at Le Mans using a French chassis ( or any other non-German chasssis ), nor are any of the other Germans. Toyota aren't going to want to either ( technically German, again ). Aston will throw their badge at anyone but this RB partnership will probably produce a P1 given Prodrive failed, so a works effort from them probably wouldn't want an outside chassis. Jaguar don't go racing, Nissan wouldn't care given who owns them, Mazda haven't been interested in the WEC for decades. Peugeot would be ok with it. There is this zero-emissions intent for 2024 which is going to need fairly radical changes, and DPi in it's current form definitely isn't anything radical.

This isn't putting IMSA down, it's been a great season - it is IMSA though, not the WEC.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea