How to use a key to enable/disable an overlay iun Simhub?

I'm asking here because nobody ever answer in the Simhub forums. First, I don't know exactly the difference between a dashboard and an overlay. I suppose I need to use an overlay, because what I want is just as simple as an image in the middle of the screen (it will show a description of the functions of my button boxes). I have already created the overlay with the background image I need. Then I went to controls and events, controls, new mapping, but then I cannot see a way to enable and disable my overlay among the hundreds of options. Is it possible? Oh, btw, my overlay must be visible in virtual reality, in the main display of my headset. Is it possible or am I going the wrong direction? Thanx.

I use a overlay(Simhub) in VR, with Crew Chief App. Works really well for me. Tried other overlay app from steam, and couldn`t make it work reliable.
And Crew Chief is free... So...

I'm asking here because nobody ever answer in the Simhub forums. First, I don't know exactly the difference between a dashboard and an overlay. I suppose I need to use an overlay, because what I want is just as simple as an image in the middle of the screen (it will show a description of the functions of my button boxes). I have already created the overlay with the background image I need. Then I went to controls and events, controls, new mapping, but then I cannot see a way to enable and disable my overlay among the hundreds of options. Is it possible? Oh, btw, my overlay must be visible in virtual reality, in the main display of my headset. Is it possible or am I going the wrong direction? Thanx.
Hi, so for either dashboard or overlay you have a hotkey option to set

in Simhub - Dash Studio - Settings - Overlays Display=Toggle Overlays Visibility

and then if you scroll down further there is - Default Dashboard Controls=Show Next Dash Screen
so if you just add a blank screen while creating a Dashbnoard, that should do the trick

I don't know how to make these visible in VR. Bitacaia, how do you do that?

Hi, so for either dashboard or overlay you have a hotkey option to set

in Simhub - Dash Studio - Settings - Overlays Display=Toggle Overlays Visibility

and then if you scroll down further there is - Default Dashboard Controls=Show Next Dash Screen
so if you just add a blank screen while creating a Dashbnoard, that should do the trick

I don't know how to make these visible in VR. Bitacaia, how do you do that?
I used this tutorial to make it work. Is for rF2. But you can apply the lesson to any game.

But there are some limitations with Crew Chief and VR. It depends if you use SteamVR/OpenVR/OpenXR.
I use only for iRacing. And it works with SteamVR and OpenXR, because i have a HTC Vive(Index works as well). If you use other Headset, then, this configuration will not work... You need to check what works and what doesn't work.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of using another program for this. Wouldn't it be more simple to create an app for Assetto Corsa? Do you know of any app that let's you assign hotkeys to its fuctions? I could start from there, take a look at the code and copy what I need.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • Friday

Votes: 36 38.3%
  • Saturday

Votes: 51 54.3%