How to make a Disc version GTR2 out of a Steam version GTR2?

Shovas

Premium
How would I go about recreating a disc version GTR2 out of my current Steam version GTR2?

I know HQ Anniversary Patch has the EXEs but what about other inconsistencies, like the Steam version slow AI on Hockenheim? Maybe there's some other inconsisentencies, too.

I have an idea that I would install the disc version in a virtual machine, copy that to my local machine, and then use a folder compare utility to see every little difference.

Does anyone have any more tips?

Solution

Based on the screenshots below, it would appear the only thing you need to do is to copy over EXE and DLL files to convert a Steam GTR2 to a Disc GTR2 and vice versa.

Note that the Disc version will require the No-CD EXE available here at RD.

Attached: gtr2-disc-eu11-vs-steam231208.PNG: File differences between a pristine disc install vs a pristine Steam install produced by WinMerge via PortableApps. The disc install is from the EU 1.1.0.0 DVD and the Steam install is 1.1.0.0 as of 2023-12-08. Both are after install but before the first run.

Attached: gtr2-disc-eu10-vs-eu11.PNG: File differences between EU DVD 1.0.0.0 vs 1.1.0.0

Attached: gtr2-disc-eu10-vs-steam231208.PNG: File differences between EU DVD 1.0.0.0 and Steam as of 2023-12-08.

Attachments

• gtr2-disc-eu11-vs-steam231208.PNG
    gtr2-disc-eu11-vs-steam231208.PNG
    99.1 KB · Views: 54
  • gtr2-disc-eu10-vs-eu11.PNG
    gtr2-disc-eu10-vs-eu11.PNG
    122 KB · Views: 47
  • gtr2-disc-eu10-vs-steam231208.PNG
    gtr2-disc-eu10-vs-steam231208.PNG
    193.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
How would I go about recreating a disc version GTR2 out of my current Steam version GTR2?

I know HQ Anniversary Patch has the EXEs but what about other inconsistencies, like the Steam version slow AI on Hockenheim? Maybe there's some other inconsisentencies, too.

I have an idea that I would install the disc version in a virtual machine, copy that to my local machine, and then use a folder compare utility to see everything little difference.

Does anyone have any more tips?
Actually as far as I know the only difference between the two releases is .exe and .dll files. So you can copy your steam drop, and use DVD .exe/.dll files from HQ.

Last edited:
Attached: File differences between a pristine disc install vs a pristine Steam install produced by WinMerge via PortableApps. The disc install is from the EU 1.0.0.0 DVD and the Steam install is 1.1.0.0 as of 2023-12-08.

Updated original post with differences between pristine disc and steam installs

Last edited:
Yes, good point, updated. Re-did the comparisons with a truly pristine before-first-run Steam folder.

And looking at the diffs, it would indicate you're right, the only critical differences in 1.1 releases is the EXEs and DLLs

Last edited:
Does anyone have a 1.0.0.0 No CD patch?

I found one at gameburnworld full of malicious detections according to virustotal.com so I avoided that one.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.