How do I go premium without having to open a paypal accout?

Hi,

No unfortunately the only way is to use paypal at the moment @Slapped

There is a work around though. Other people (with a paypal account) can gift you a membership by clicking on your profile page. If a friend can do that for you then you can sort out the payment between you.

THanks for considering an upgrade. Much appreciated.

Ok, thanks for getting back to me on this. I'll give some consideration to opening a paypal account, but I'm really trying to limit what internet accounts that I have, especially those that are financially orientated.

It's not a desperate thing as I wouldn't be taking part in online racing, I just wanted give you guys a bit of money as I find the site really useful.

I had previously believed (wrongly it seems) that you could buy anything you want on Paypal using a credit card without actually needing an account with them... (I do have a Paypal account myself.)
Did that change as a general thing, or is it just certain purchases that require an account?

On the payment page where you put your card number and details in there are also fields for opening an account. If you leave those fields blank then the transaction will not go any further. There didn't seem to be any obvious way to proceed without opening an account - at least I couldn't find it.

Digging around on the net a bit I came across this:

Now this is PayPal US so it might not apply here, but it appears that if you're a business or a premium PayPal customer there's a check box that you can tick to make the PayPal account optional. I wonder if that's activated on your account.

OK, you win.

Very begrudgingly I had to open a PayPal account for something else, so I figured you might as well get the benefit of it.

;)
Glad to hear it.
However, somewhat ironically the problem appears to have been fixed since you encountered it.
I just had a look and when I clicked the button to go premium, I got the option to just pay by card instead of logging in (see pic)...
1605188539040.png

Glad to hear it.
However, somewhat ironically the problem appears to have been fixed since you encountered it.
I just had a look and when I clicked the button to go premium, I got the option to just pay by card instead of logging in (see pic)...
View attachment 419269

Yeah, but once you start the transaction PayPal then forces you to open an account before you can proceed. Back in March I tried everything to get around it, but no dice. Irritatingly this is right at the bottom of the payments page which means you've filled everything else out and unless you create an account there it's a case of "Thou Shall not Pass".

Apparently if you have a premier or business account with PayPal then it's possible to set payments so that they don't require an account - at least in the US.

Anyway I was dealing with a private person so I had to open an account.

Yeah, but once you start the transaction PayPal then forces you to open an account before you can proceed. Back in March I tried everything to get around it, but no dice. Irritatingly this is right at the bottom of the payments page which means you've filled everything else out and unless you create an account there it's a case of "Thou Shall not Pass".
Woooow, that's beyond lame! :confused:
Am now trying to figure out how to test it fully without being at risk of giving Bram any of my money :sneaky::roflmao:

However, at the bottom of the payments screen, I'm currently seeing something that looks like it's working as expected:
1605213527693.png

Woooow, that's beyond lame! :confused:
Am now trying to figure out how to test it fully without being at risk of giving Bram any of my money :sneaky::roflmao:

However, at the bottom of the payments screen, I'm currently seeing something that looks like it's working as expected:
View attachment 419348

It may well be that it's been fixed in the intervening time. However when I tried back in March there was no option to say that I didn't want an account - there were 4 fields related to creating an account which needed to be filled in before the transaction would progress

It may also be that PayPal alters its requirements depending on your country.

Anyway it's sorted for me now, and thanks for into it.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 40 37.7%
  • Saturday

Votes: 61 57.5%