General How can you replace a car's KN5 file via extension file?

Hi, I'm currently trying to add working turn signals and tailights to Kunos's BMW M3, and in order to do that the lights required had to be seperated from their left/right. So I used 3DSimEd and created a version where these are seperate. But I want to avoid online mismatches, so I'd rather use and extension the replaces the model rather then replacing it directly, but I can't seem to get it to work.

The typical way you do that is with ext config [MODEL_REPLACEMENT] which works at an individual object level. you tell it which kn5 to target, which objects to delete, and then which kn5 to get the replacements from.

Three other points though. First never use 3dsimed, it's the source of many bugs and issues. Second, for combined turn signals and taillights on a single object, there is specific CSP code to avoid having to modify the kn5. Instead you name texture areas you want to be illuminated by each light. Third, the BMW M3 already has this csp code applied to it, it has working turn signals if you install its auto-downloading config so I'm not sure why you need to add them.

Last edited:
The typical way you do that is with ext config [MODEL_REPLACEMENT] which works at an individual object level. you tell it which kn5 to target, which objects to delete, and then which kn5 to get the replacements from.

Three other points though. First never use 3dsimed, it's the source of many bugs and issues. Second, for combined turn signals and taillights on a single object, there is specific CSP code to avoid having to modify the kn5. Instead you name texture areas you want to be illuminated by each light. Third, the BMW M3 already has this csp code applied to it, it has working turn signals if you install its auto-downloading config so I'm not sure why you need to add them.
Okay, thank you. I wasn't aware it had working turn signals as they weren't working properly for me.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.