Hot air balloon swapping

Not all balloons are created equal.

Let's say Track A and Track B both have hot air balloons of different designs.

• Track A's balloon is a magnificent specimen of outstanding natural beauty that makes you glad to be alive.
  • Track B's balloon offends your sensibilities like a freshly-laid dog's egg on a picnic blanket.

How easy would it be to take a balloon from Track A and replace the balloon in Track B with it? And by 'easy' I mean by file manipulation, not by using a 3D CAD package.

Not all balloons are created equal.

Let's say Track A and Track B both have hot air balloons of different designs.

• Track A's balloon is a magnificent specimen of outstanding natural beauty that makes you glad to be alive.
  • Track B's balloon offends your sensibilities like a freshly-laid dog's egg on a picnic blanket.

How easy would it be to take a balloon from Track A and replace the balloon in Track B with it? And by 'easy' I mean by file manipulation, not by using a 3D CAD package.
as the balloon (or any moving object) is its own kn5, just straight up copying and pasting into the other track folder and renaming to the right name of the balloon you want to replace should be fine

... thats actually a great idea, I thought about replacing the the Nords Endurance balloon with the 24h broadcast extension helicopter..

as the balloon (or any moving object) is its own kn5, just straight up copying and pasting into the other track folder and renaming to the right name of the balloon you want to replace should be fine

... thats actually a great idea, I thought about replacing the the Nords Endurance balloon with the 24h broadcast extension helicopter..
It only bloody well went and worked..! :)
I never guessed it would be that simple. I took the lovely Michelin balloon from Salzburgring and replaced the black Yokohama balloon at Algarve* with it. The hardest part was identifying which kn5 in the Algarve folder was the balloon. I think it was just called '12', but I guessed what it was from the file size. A quick drop and name-change later... voilà!

Thanks very much for the tip, @AccAkut.

*Jim, I love your Reboot tracks. But balloons should never be black unless they're for a devil-worshipper's birthday party.
:p

It only bloody well went and worked..! :)
I never guessed it would be that simple. I took the lovely Michelin balloon from Salzburgring and replaced the black Yokohama balloon at Algarve* with it. The hardest part was identifying which kn5 in the Algarve folder was the balloon. I think it was just called '12', but I guessed what it was from the file size. A quick drop and name-change later... voilà!

Thanks very much for the tip, @AccAkut.

*Jim, I love your Reboot tracks. But balloons should never be black unless they're for a devil-worshipper's birthday party.
Wayhay you sussed out the secret
Haha but really do those black balloons upset you so badly?

Welcome to the modding world. This here is exactly how I started with modding. Only thing is I was replacing rainbow balloons with BLACK balloons.

Welcome to the modding world. This here is exactly how I started with modding. Only thing is I was replacing rainbow balloons with BLACK balloons.
Ha ha..!

…and I'm going to make it my life's mission to track down and re-rainbow every single last one of the buggers.

There's a black Monster one at Cadwell Park that's about to have a short sharp shock...
;)

I must try a few experiments :)
Presumably even changing the non-track objects will prevent you from being able to race online with the tweaked track?
Online shouldn't be a problem. Only thing different is the texture. You could just edit the texture. And create a skins folder in the track folder. This would just override the black balloons texture

I must try a few experiments :)
Presumably even changing the non-track objects will prevent you from being able to race online with the tweaked track?
Just have a look at your local assetto corsa/server/content folder and see which files for the tracks are there.
For cars it's one file that needs to be identical, for tracks however it's not a packed file with a checksum but just loosely copied files. Afaik just surface ini and drs ini and the models file.

So afaik a swapped balloon shouldn't cause problems. Actually even a different track version shouldn't if the only changes are within the kn5 files...

Just have a look at your local assetto corsa/server/content folder and see which files for the tracks are there.
For cars it's one file that needs to be identical, for tracks however it's not a packed file with a checksum but just loosely copied files. Afaik just surface ini and drs ini and the models file.

So afaik a swapped balloon shouldn't cause problems. Actually even a different track version shouldn't if the only changes are within the kn5 files...
Wow, it's much simpler than I thought. I clearly haven't been paying enough attention to the contents of the tracks folders :O_o::confused::thumbsup:

personally I don't have time to see what's in the sky at 170 MPH! :)

Agreed! When somebody on Teamspeak first started talking about the balloons in the sky I honestly thought they were joking cos I had never noticed them! :D

The Montgolfier brothers are furiously spinning in their graves and Phileas Fogg's ghost is asking what the hell all that noise is. You guys need to kick back in the MX5, drop the roof, and do some cruising. There's a beautiful world out there just waiting to be appreciated.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea