High End PC and FPS problems VR

Hi guys,

I recently updated my PC triying to enjoy Assetto Corsa even more, these are the specs:

Seasonic Focus+ 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 4ghz
Noctua NH-U12S
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, C15)

Samsung Oddyssey + VR
Fanatec CSL Elite bundle

Well, I don´t know where the problem is, but I can´t get 90 stable fps... There you have some pics to ilustrate the problem...

As you can see, CPU cores and GPU are not working enough at all to make 90 fps...

My presets - Very low:

Performance:

f

Some details:

- Fps even drops to 45/50 fps
- Chipset and gpu drivers are up to date
- 150 supersampling on SteamVR
- Ram is on fine presets (3000mhz CL15)
- V-Sync off
- Energy plan: Max performance (cpu limit 100%)
- Nvidia Control Panel by default presets

On the other hand, only to show you and example, in Project Cars 2, you can see how same gear are be able to get 90 fps easily, even all presets max:

I dont like PC2, Im in love with AC....

I hope you could help me because I´m totally frustrated, I spent a lot of money on this, and I have a terrible performance... Pain on my heart watching 50fps

Any advice will be very thankful.

• Deleted member 197115

That looks kinda like a non throttling 9900k... Am I right? :p
Yep, OCed to 5.0GHz on all cores. From my humble OCing efforts throttling starts after 5.0.
BTW, I had to switch to Windows Balanced Power Mode or it was running 5.0 GHz all the times, without coming down at idle. My older i7-5930K wasn't doing that. From what I've read it's a new thing on the latest gen CPUs.
If anyone interested in OCing theirs, there is a good reference video, helped a lot, although I don't think the guy successfully pushed it over 5, video didn't show it, I personally couldn't, reliably.

Yep, OCed to 5.0GHz on all cores. From my humble OCing efforts throttling starts after 5.0.
BTW, I had to switch to Windows Balanced Power Mode or it was running 5.0 GHz all the times, without coming down at idle. My older i7-5930K wasn't doing that. From what I've read it's a new thing on the latest gen CPUs.
If anyone interested in OCing theirs, there is a good reference video, helped a lot, although I don't think the guy successfully pushed it over 5, video didn't show it, I personally couldn't, reliably.
Awesome! What's your case and cooling if I may ask?

• Deleted member 197115

2x140 fans front intake
AIO with 2x120mm fans on the top as exhaust
GPU AIO with 120mm in the back as exhaust.

AIO in general is quite efficient, used them in my older build as well, quiet too.

One thing that really stabilized my frame rates in VR (Occulus Rift) was in Content Manager change the resolution to a custom resolution of 1920 x 1080, 90 Hz .
Before setting my resolution to that (the 90 Hz part is the critical parameter) I would bounce up and down from 45-90 all the time. Now I'm a steady 70-90 even with a full grid.
I have a high end Alienware laptop, i9-8950HK, 32GB, GTX-1080 (all overclocked/undervolted to max speed while not throttling).

One thing that really stabilized my frame rates in VR (Occulus Rift) was in Content Manager change the resolution to a custom resolution of 1920 x 1080, 90 Hz .
Before setting my resolution to that (the 90 Hz part is the critical parameter) I would bounce up and down from 45-90 all the time. Now I'm a steady 70-90 even with a full grid.
I have a high end Alienware laptop, i9-8950HK, 32GB, GTX-1080 (all overclocked/undervolted to max speed while not throttling).
Do you have vsync (vertical synchronization) and/or limit framerate enabled perhaps?

I am not familiar with either procedure but would be curious to try, could you explain how to disable those?

You could als well install Process Lasso and disable hyperthreading per application if you use more than just one game. For modern games disabling hyperthreading could be a potential set back - at least performance measurements indicate. I have tried this earlier for AC but did not make a difference anyway. For Speedstep it is common sense to disable it when overclocking the CPU.

With a highend PC you should get familiar with your Bios. You can tweak your OC settings not only for the CPU but also for your RAM.

I did a test yesterday.
Specs: Intel i7 2600k, 4.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM 2133 MHz, 1080Ti. Brands Hatch 11:00 AM, me and 12 AIs.
Mirror window set to 1280x800 (I like the text and buttons to be larger in VR). Good and bad weather suite enabled. No shaders / lights patch enabled because it drops my FPS a bit too much.
Tried:
- full screen with 0, 60 and 90 Hz
- windowed with 0, 60 and 90 Hz
Completely restarted AC everytime after changing the setting.
No difference whatsoever on my system. A dip to 45 FPS in turn 2, solid 90 FPS for the rest of the circuit, on every test.

I did a test yesterday.
Specs: Intel i7 2600k, 4.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM 2133 MHz, 1080Ti. Brands Hatch 11:00 AM, me and 12 AIs.
Mirror window set to 1280x800 (I like the text and buttons to be larger in VR). Good and bad weather suite enabled. No shaders / lights patch enabled because it drops my FPS a bit too much.
Tried:
- full screen with 0, 60 and 90 Hz
- windowed with 0, 60 and 90 Hz
Completely restarted AC everytime after changing the setting.
No difference whatsoever on my system. A dip to 45 FPS in turn 2, solid 90 FPS for the rest of the circuit, on every test.
Playing AC whit no Shaders patch!
It is not supposed to take fps...
Some people got fps gain whit the new shader patch options for cpu and gpu

I tried the shaders patch options for cpu and gpu and even tried to disable, remove and reinstall, but still my FPS is higher without the shaders patch (to my surprise actually).
I absolutely believe you but just to be sure:
Did you really disable everything?
And also some of the GPU optimizations are taxing the CPU more. Here's how my "for CPU limit" settings look like:
Everything is disabled and grayed out. Only the general settings are enabled like in the Screenshot. It's not much but it's a few fps, especially since I use quite some apps, the custom fonts rendering is helping a lot.
CM_CPU.JPG

I'm not using any apps. Also didn't enable the GPU optimizations (tried it once though), to keep the CPU load as low as possible. The only 'extra' effect I had enabled was the 'smart mirror' (kept 'real mirrors' disabled) - maybe that's the culprit?

I'm not using any apps. Also didn't enable the GPU optimizations (tried it once though), to keep the CPU load as low as possible. The only 'extra' effect I had enabled was the 'smart mirror' (kept 'real mirrors' disabled) - maybe that's the culprit?
Smart mirror definitely reduces fps a little yeah. For me the difference isn't big if I disable all apps though so it's probably the combination of "no effect" + smart mirrors

Still getting FPS drops with Odyssey+ at 200% supersampling in steam and render scale at 2.0

This is with a 9900k@5.1ghz and 2080ti. Quite frustrating and there's no reason for it. iracing has no such issues and it's maxed out.

It's worse in online servers than with AI so I'm thinking its a CPU issue.

Isn't 200% * 2.0 = 400%? Seems way too high to me. I'm running AC at a render scale of 1.5 without any other type of supersampling active (I'm using a Rift, so no Steam VR needed), so I presume that's 150% in total (AA at 4x though).

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea