Tracks Help needed with track modding

Hello, I have modelled a track in Blender and exported it to KSEditor as a .fbx file, however when i launch it in assetto corsa, my vehicle falls through the map (although very slowly, like quicksand) and cannot drive. I have named the meshes according to the naming convention (1ROAD, 1GRASS, etc) and have it defined in the surfaces.ini file in the track folder, so I am not sure what could be causing this. Any help will be appreciated, and I can share the .blend or .fbx if needed. Thank you!

m
Hello, I have modelled a track in Blender and exported it to KSEditor as a .fbx file, however when i launch it in assetto corsa, my vehicle falls through the map (although very slowly, like quicksand) and cannot drive. I have named the meshes according to the naming convention (1ROAD, 1GRASS, etc) and have it defined in the surfaces.ini file in the track folder, so I am not sure what could be causing this. Any help will be appreciated, and I can share the .blend or .fbx if needed. Thank you!
maybe you have "wrong" AC_PIT dummies, thats happen to me long time ago. my problem was with axis point and orientation.

Last edited:
I had a similar thing and the problem was too many polys in a single mesh, I tried around a bit and can't remember the limit (maybe it depends on your system), somewhere between 30k and 60k maybe.

It's a quick try, just divide the mesh up where the car starts and see if it helps.

m

maybe you have "wrong" AC_PIT dummies, thats happen to me long time ago. my problem was with axis point and orientation.
From what I understand, Z needs to point forward and Y up, and they should be slightly off the track, so I think this orientation should be correct?
1683642589369.png

I had a similar thing and the problem was too many polys in a single mesh, I tried around a bit and can't remember the limit (maybe it depends on your system), somewhere between 30k and 60k maybe.

It's a quick try, just divide the mesh up where the car starts and see if it helps.
This is the mesh I currently have.. I feel like it's reasonably sized? this is my first time making a track so im not sure if this is too big.
1683642721618.png

no worries! had a quick look and and saw you have the grass surface running under the track surface, both used as physical meshes...also there's 1ROAD_road and 1ROAD_track, do you use them both when exporting to Assetto? Whilst it generally works to have two physical meshes on top of each other I guess it might lead to issues when it's larger areas and/or when they're intersecting in larger areas/polygons.

Generally it would be best to have the grass, road and kerb meshes adjacent to each other, connecting without a gap but not overlapping.
You can also have an invisible physical mesh for the road and then one or more visual meshes for the road surface, cracks, grooves (with a name that doesn't observe the conventions for physical meshes).

I hope this makes sense. Maybe export the track 1ROAD_track mesh without the others to see if it's driveable then.
If this doesn't solve it maybe send me the track already in-game so I can quickly test a few things!

no worries! had a quick look and and saw you have the grass surface running under the track surface, both used as physical meshes...also there's 1ROAD_road and 1ROAD_track, do you use them both when exporting to Assetto? Whilst it generally works to have two physical meshes on top of each other I guess it might lead to issues when it's larger areas and/or when they're intersecting in larger areas/polygons.

Generally it would be best to have the grass, road and kerb meshes adjacent to each other, connecting without a gap but not overlapping.
You can also have an invisible physical mesh for the road and then one or more visual meshes for the road surface, cracks, grooves (with a name that doesn't observe the conventions for physical meshes).

I hope this makes sense. Maybe export the track 1ROAD_track mesh without the others to see if it's driveable then.
If this doesn't solve it maybe send me the track already in-game so I can quickly test a few things!
I tried exporting with only the larger part of the track (runoff) active, and moved the grass mesh so that it is not overlapping with the actual road mesh and the problem is still persisting. Could it be because the meshes are not planes (solidify modifier applied)?

Here are the map files and fbx if you need them:
Project folder with fbx https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10QMjTLSF0TjUyudCbbVrt12nw0ko90ft?usp=sharing
Actual assetto corsa track folder https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1doLOBRStK1tYv_lvlH7QUeS8ATkwnOgc?usp=sharing

so, I think I found the problem. You (or blender) scaled the dummies after they were created, this alters the scale of the whole track.
After loading the fbx into 3dsmax and only re-doing the dummies it works for me. I'm still not sure the scale is entirely how you want it but drop the new kn5 into your track folder and see for yourself:

If you want to rescale the track, also do not just resize the objects as Assetto Corsa doesn't like objects that aren't scaled at 100%. What I do in 3dsmax is either rescale the vertices or rescale the object and then convert the object from 'editable poly' to 'editable mesh' and then back to 'editable poly', if that makes any sense, the mesh will then be resized but the object back at 100%. I'm sure there's other ways to do it.
Screenshot_ks_lotus_25_kf1_kranji_singapore_20-4-123-19-51-48.jpg
Screenshot_ks_lotus_25_kf1_kranji_singapore_20-4-123-19-51-56-accum.jpg

Last edited:
so, I think I found the problem. You (or blender) scaled the dummies after they were created, this alters the scale of the whole track.
After loading the fbx into 3dsmax and only re-doing the dummies it works for me. I'm still not sure the scale is entirely how you want it but drop the new kn5 into your track folder and see for yourself:

If you want to rescale the track, also do not just resize the objects as Assetto Corsa doesn't like objects that aren't scaled at 100%. What I do in 3dsmax is either rescale the vertices or rescale the object and then convert the object from 'editable poly' to 'editable mesh' and then back to 'editable poly', if that makes any sense, the mesh will then be resized but the object back at 100%. I'm sure there's other ways to do it.View attachment 665322View attachment 665323
Oh wow thank you! I think a similar method in blender is to apply the scale change, so that the new scale is set at 100%? The track is meant for karting so I will need to scale it down a little. Also, how do I edit this kn5 in blender?

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea