[Help] Finally played Race07 and love it, but have a few questions

Having only migrated from console to PC sim racing in the last year, I never had the opportunity to play the great SimBin titles when they were new. A recent Steam sale, however, offered their entire catalog for less than $10, which I couldn't pass up.

Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't, as both GTR2 and Race07 are incredible, even when judged against recent releases (IMHO). Race07 has really captured my interest, however, with its championship structure, GUI and, most importantly, car feel. From the moment I began practicing with the 2007 Leon at Curitiba, I noticed the incredible sense of mass and friction that I'm always hoping for, but rarely find.

That said, I have a few questions for the more knowledgable Race07 veterans regarding proper game setup.

1. The FOV setting defaults to 100%. Does that represent vertical or horizontal FOV (usually expressed as an angle, or unitless), or neither?

1a. I sit 20-24" from my 27" 1440p monitor, which equates to a horizontal FOV of 52-61, and a vertical FOV of 31-37. What setting/range should I use in Race07?

2. Is there a Race07 wheel settings thread, or more specifically, can anyone recommend Fanatec CSW settings, both on-wheel and in-game?

2a. For those with a 900° wheel, is it considered best practices to use that rotation, or do most lower it? I use, for example, 270-330° in F1 2013, and 540° in GSCE.

2b. The Leon 2007 steering lock defaults to 15 (degrees?) in Race07. What steering lock, or steering lock range, are 900° wheel owners using with that car?

My brief experience has been positive; with my wheel at 900°, and steering lock set at default (15), but with brake bias moved rearward (from 60:40 to 52:48) and differential coast lock adjusted from 50 to 25, steering mostly felt fine on Curitiba. One corner, however, left me looking for more lock unless I really braked early, and driving out of the garage left me considering a steering sensitivity adjustment.

2c. Does steering lock typically need to adjusted between cars, to suit track type or is it a set it and forget it adjustment?

3. With some sims, setting FFB to max introduces "canned" effects. How does Race07 FFB work, and what setting is most commonly selected?

4. Are there any other specific settings that I should consider adjusting for a better experience? For example, in the years since release, has the community universally come to agree that adjusting a specific setting really impacts enjoyment (e.g. everybody sets their G25/27 to 107% in the Logitech Profiler for most sims)?

5. Is GTR Evo a Race07 expansion pack, or a separate game?

6. I'm most interested in GT and Touring car racing (especially historic). Any suggestions regarding must-have mods?

I'm sorry this is such a lengthy post, but I really want to set up Race07 properly, and very much look forward to hearing from the community. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Henk

Last edited:
Well Henk, a properly set up Race 07 is the one that you are happy with. Dive in and change settings until you're happy as everyone runs a different setup. The only thing I would say is to raise the level of sound for tire scrub and tire skid so you can feel the road a bit more. Everything else is up for grabs, in five years I've run a range of settings for everything you have mentioned and doubt I've found settings to let rest.

Evo is a Race 07 addon :)

So all I need do is install GTR Evo via Steam and it will integrate within R07? Or must I somehow direct it to install within a specific R07 folder?

Thanks for the tire scrub/skid suggestion. That's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to learn.

As for wheel settings, I was afraid it wasn't going to be one size fits all. I just wish SimBin/Sector 3 would provide better documentation, especially for such important settings.

So no idea what the FOV % means?

Henk

Writing my answers in red for the sake of readability ;)

1. The FOV setting defaults to 100%. Does that represent vertical or horizontal FOV (usually expressed as an angle, or unitless), or neither?

I think its representing horizontal FOV - at least that's about what I went with (lower 40s on the old 24" screen, now at 53-ish on the 27") and it seems just fine :)

2a. For those with a 900° wheel, is it considered best practices to use that rotation, or do most lower it? I use, for example, 270-330° in F1 2013, and 540° in GSCE.

I'm running 450°-ish, IIRC

2b. The Leon 2007 steering lock defaults to 15 (degrees?) in Race07. What steering lock, or steering lock range, are 900° wheel owners using with that car?

As stated above, not running 900°, but I'm mostly using around 18° lock with touring cars...

2c. Does steering lock typically need to adjusted between cars, to suit track type or is it a set it and forget it adjustment?

...however, I do tend to adjust it ever so slightly depending on car & track. Rarely more than 1-1.5°, though.

3. With some sims, setting FFB to max introduces "canned" effects. How does Race07 FFB work, and what setting is most commonly selected?

Running defaults.

However, as Dennis pointed out, your experience may/will vary, so keep on fiddling around with these settings until you're happy :)

I hope you installed by Steam, that makes multiplayer available :). Installing Evo will melt right in and give you the choice of starting with a the Race 07 or Evo shortcut. The first time you play after the install, use the Race 07. Only difference is the color and some sounds.

FOV=Field of view, how much of the road and surroundings you want on screen or= how big the other cars look on screen.

I use the same amount of steering wheel movement[540 degrees] and set the steering lock in the car for good handling. Steering,Throttle and Brake sensitivities, besides the ffb are also good for gaining a better control of the car.

@Björn Golda

Thanks for your assistance, that's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for! For once, I think the defaults are reasonably close on most settings for me (vs. R3E, which was undrivable at default settings for me prior to recent updates), but now that I have a decent base, I'll feel more comfortable experimenting.

Also, when I used backspace to change my thread title, it ended up posting twice. If you can, would you mind deleting the other thread? I don't think it has any replies to merge.

Finally, is there a way to change thread titles after the fact? I posted a rim for sale in the Buy/Sell forum, and would like to edit the title to reflect its sale.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. Your responses have been very useful.

@Dennis Phelan

Yes I did use Steam, so I expect GTR Evo will install seamlessly. I love the fact that the expansion packs integrate within R07 so well.

Can't wait to try my hand at multiplier after I learn the tracks and learn to drive a little more competently.

Henk

Also, when I used backspace to change my thread title, it ended up posting twice. If you can, would you mind deleting the other thread? I don't think it has any replies to merge.

Already did that/moved it over to the internal archive forum :)

Finally, is there a way to change thread titles after the fact? I posted a rim for sale in the Buy/Sell forum, and would like to edit the title to reflect its sale.

I.. I honestly don't know :D I got the option, but that's likely mod related. However, it doesn't seem to be custom to change the title when an item is sold, so you should be alright :)

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.7%