GTR2 ReShade using The Iron Wolf's preset

Shovas

Premium

In this video, I keep the ReShade overlay open and start off with all effects disabled, then I toggle the effects on and off during the lap. At the end, I show a few of the effects and toggling them on and off individually.

It's kind of unfortunate that I don't think you're seeing the true detail I can see on my monitor due to YouTube compression. You really have to see it to believe it. That said, I think some of it comes through in the video.

These are early days for GTR2 and ReShade but for the adventurous you can check the manual out here for how to install Crew Chief, which comes with the GTR2 Enhancements Plugin, and links for the ReShade setup:

I'll probably write up some install instructions in the next week or so.

Update 2023-11-17: See the instructions here.

The settings are based on a VR preset but I use a monitor so I think some effects are less noticeable to me than they would be in VR. Still, some effects are excellent. The Iron Wolf prefers subtle effects so none of the effects are over done at all so no blown out sky boxes or over-saturated grass, that kind of thing.

LUT adjusts colours in different ways.

Bloom adds some 'vibrancy' to colours

Fast FXAA I don't really have a need for this as my AA with NVIDIA Profiles seems good enough.

Intelligent Sharpen is excellent. I think it looks like it's *removing* some softening rather than adding some sharpening, it's that good.

Fast Ambient Occlusion is hard to notice but does adjust shading on some spots of the image. Like everything else, it can be tuned more aggressive if you like.

Subtle Depth of Field lives up to its name and is very subtle but I can notice it adding a super subtle blur to things off in the distance, such as trees. I've tried tuning it and you can make its effect weaker or stronger to whatever you prefer.

Detect Menus & Videos shuts off the effects in menus automatically.

Detect Sky shuts off effects not needed on the sky textures (ex. they don't need AA since they already have a very soft look).

Here's how good GTR2 can look with Crew Chief GTR 2 Enhancements Plugin, ReShade, the right track, the right cars, and the right settings. Most of this is described in my Secrets of GTR2 page.

Last edited:
Just wanted to clarify that my preset, while it looks like an improvemetn even on 2D screen, still is primarily VR. The reason is that there's no hardware currently to run full effects with depth in VR at acceptable frame rates. Hence, primary effect is use is https://github.com/rj200/Glamarye_Fast_Effects_for_ReShade (thanks @Retrolux for digging this up!)

Also @Shovas, you should check how all looks with high poly stuff (for example, DTM 2018) and more modern tracks - LeMans 2019, VLM Sebring - game looks much, much, much better than base cars/tracks ;) Post processing is just a part of the equation - another big part is the content itself.

Last edited:
I need to try an integrate Retrolux and JBX's reshade presets as they have some pizzazz of their own.

Last edited:
Was using reshade with nvidia inspector with GTR2 for nearly two years and then CC DXVK happened and then no going back, so it was goodbye reshade but also a really happy goodbye to nvidia inspector but gutted about reshade as it didn't work properly with DXVK. But now as in today it does work and now reshade brings huge potential tor GTR2 so I'm very grateful for all the work everyone does to improve GTR2.

Back on topic - The Iron Wolf's preset is very good for VR but have a look at the adaptivetonemapping.fx for screens. I've checked out lots of them for GTR2 but for lighting this is the best one for me by far. Obviously everyone has different preferences but worth a look.

Last edited:
Exactly - in 2D, I suggest using actual dedicated full quality AO effect as well as others (I could recommend Marty McFly's and prod80 effects). I personally dislike DOF and other "blurs" with passion, but if that is your thing there are high quality effects for that as well. And much more.

@dwightyone - is adaptive tonemaping fast enough for VR? How much GPU ms does it cost?

Last edited:
Was using reshade with nvidia inspector with GTR2 for nearly two years and then CC DXVK happened and then no going back, so it was goodbye reshade but also a really happy goodbye to nvidia inspector but gutted about reshade as it didn't work properly with DXVK. But now as in today it does work and now reshade brings huge potential tor GTR2 so I'm very grateful for all the work everyone does to improve GTR2.

Back on topic - The Iron Wolf's preset is very good for VR but have a look at the adaptivetonemapping.fx for screens. I've checked out lots of them for GTR2 but for lighting this is the best one for me by far. Obviously everyone has different preferences but worth a look.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a try

Does Iron Wolf's reshade setup work for 2d users or only if using DVXK.

It works for 2D if you're running DXVK or not but some shaders need his DXVK depth shadowing work. Sharpening for example should work without DXVK.

Best results will be using DXVK, though.

Does Iron Wolf's reshade setup work for 2d users or only if using DVXK.
ReShade works fully in 2D in both DXVK and DX9, but configuration is different. In DX9 mode you need to:
* Rename ReShade32.dll to ReShade.dll
* Place it under [GTR2]\ReShade\ folder. CCGEP will load it.

The setup is described here https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/retrolux-reshade-gtr2.42342/ but Retrolux's ReShade.dll is very old, I suggest using my .dll or wait for ReShade 6.0 to come out as all my changes got accepted into main ReShade. I still recommend try CCGEP ReShade Addon for best experience.

Latest files are here, see readme inside. https://thecrewchief.org/downloads/gtr2/ccgep_reshade_tools_latest.zip

And, yes, Shovas is right - for best image quality and performance DXVK is recommended, see CCGEP manual for how to properly configure it.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea