GTR2 and Downsampling with NVIDIA DSR

Shovas

Premium
I've never played around with DSR before but after seeing some videos and getting to understand what's really happening I can see how it might be a really good way to improve the graphical clarity of GTR2.

But I just tried it and (1) unless I use Borderless Gaming the image is larger than the screen can fit, and (2) if I use Borderless Gaming to shrink it down to my screen size then the mouse positioning gets all wonky and I can't properly click the right things.

Edit: Change the resolution of Windows itself to 4K after enabling DSR in NV Control Panel, change the Scale to 100% (otherwise mouse doesn't track properly), and then borderless windowed mode will just start working normally for GTR2.

Has anyone done this before? Any tips and tricks?

Edit: Okay, I can see it working in fullscreen mode. Hard to tell the difference to be honest between 4K-to-1440p vs 1440p-native-with-aa-tweaks. One thing I think I notice is mirrors look much better when downsampling I'm assuming because they're rendering at a higher resolution with dsr.

Here's the video that got me down the DSR rabbit hole:

Last edited:
Best looking GTR2 I have seen since Nvidia removed clamp is AMD Vega @1440p
But I am going with YES :)

GTX970 DSR @ 4K ( click twice )
GTR2 2014-10-24 17-00-37-44.jpg

GTR2 2014-11-09 12-24-07-80.jpg

Last edited:
Best looking GTR2 I have seen since Nvidia removed clamp is AMD Vega @1440p
But I am going with YES :)

View attachment 562748

View attachment 562749
I know what you mean about removal of clamp, very frustrating. But trust me, you can't beat DXVK image quality. In my fork of DXVK I have SGSSAA like AA exposed, and, memory usage improvements (part of fixes requires CC plugin, currently in Beta).

And, great track choice, this track looks amazing in GTR2.

Last edited:
So, is there no way to run GTR2 in windowed mode using DSR?

I just don't use fullscreen mode. I like my alt-tabbing :D

Edit: Change the resolution of Windows itself to 4K after enabling DSR in NV Control Panel and then borderless windowed mode will just start working normally for GTR2.

Last edited:
Where would you need DSR for? With the AA compatibility set to 0x004412C1 (Diablo III) and 8x MSAA + 8x SGSSAA the image quality is excellent at 1020p with a high FPS.

Last edited:
How does this compare to "image scaling"?
Image Scaling, from what I'm seeing, takes a low resolution image and upscales it to a high resolution image.

What we want, because GTR2 is so easy on GPUs these days, is to take a high resolution image and downscale it to our native resolutions: When you do it this way, the GPU has more image information to work with behind-the-scenes and so it can produce a better lower resolution image than, say, trying to anti-alias over that lower resolution image.

Here's the video that got me down this rabbit hole, you'll see the benefits are very clear and impressive:

But it may depend on the game and just how much benefit you get might be more or less depending on a lot of variables.

I noticed when I upgraded to 1440p that I no longer needed anti-aliasing enabled in Far Cry 3, for example, I wasn't noticing jaggies anywhere. So, it seemed I could get more FPS by disabling AA.

Did you try SGSSAA? It blurries the image slightly, but it is the best way to get rid of aliasing of transparent surfaces in gMotor on nVidia. Slightly higher quality can be achieved via my fork of DXVK, but it requires very recent hardware and a bit tricky setup.

That said DSR or SSAA and similar approaches have advantages - sharper, clearer image, so indeed it has advantages :) My guess it is more of a personal preference, I do not like aliased gridlines and fences, and in my experience only SGSSAA gets rid of that.

Last edited:
Did you try SGSSAA? It blurries the image slightly, but it is the best way to get rid of aliasing of transparent surfaces in gMotor on nVidia. Slightly higher quality can be achieved via my fork of DXVK, but it requires very recent hardware and a bit tricky setup.

That said DSR or SSAA nand similar approaches have advantages - sharper, clearer image, so indeed it has advantages :) My guess it is more of a personal preference, I do not like aliased gridlines and fences, and in my experience only SGSSAA gets rid of that.
So is that "Antialiasing - transparency supersampling" because yeah I've used that to good effect:

1651344343363.png

^ GTR2 nvidia profile inspector settings

Same here, the aliased lines on the road drive me crazy, and I try to minimize the shimmering of fences, etc., as much as possible.

So is that "Antialiasing - transparency supersampling" because yeah I've used that to good effect:

View attachment 563223

^ GTR2 nvidia profile inspector settings

Same here, the aliased lines on the road drive me crazy, and I try to minimize the shimmering of fences, etc., as much as possible.
Yes that's pretty much the best combination for fixing gridline aliasing, except that AFAIK Antiliasing - Setting is best to keep 8xMSAA in your case.

In my observation, no matter how much you increase resolution and downsample (that's what DSR does) it won't help with gridlines, they will still get jaggies. Now, if you mix DSR and SGSSAA, that I never tried, but from VR experience, yes, it might help slightly.

If you still use my plugin, checkout the manual on how to enable DXVK - that is the best image quality I ever seen. Also, I am continously customizing DXVK for GTR2 needs to improve perf and quality (it is OSS luckily).

Last edited:
I missed that bit when I did my install and setup. Are you referring to this setting?

Awesome mod btw... :D
yes, just make sure you enable MSAA as well. Also checkout Discord linked in the manual, there's a lot of changes in Beta version of the plugin and I post beta version there.

Those 3 settings work together:
d3d9.forceSwapchainMSAA
dxvk.forceSampleRateShading
dxvk.forceSampleRateShadingFactor

And, don't forget:
d3d9.forceD32FS8DepthStencil
to get best possible flickering fix.

Last edited:
@The Iron Wolf : Yep, so far I'm doing the eyes per each car (and per livery) for all the cars i downloaded - then FFB per car - taking an age - haven't even raced it much yet. Once done and once I've narrowed down the best car and track combos for optimum FPS I will then try DXVK myself and get some feedback back.

Just to add- what I've noticed is you need a slightly different mix of AA for monitor racing compared to VR. On my triples I must use the in-game AA to get rid of the shimmering on the white lines no matter what - and then use enhance setting Nvidia inspector (Antialiasing - transparency supersampling + 4xMSAA) also. VR is different and don't need or use in-game AA.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea