GTR 2 crashes often on HQ tracks

I have GTR2 16th anniversary edition installed.

Pretty much everything is functional -- except that my game crashes often to the desktop.....mainly if not only......when I attempt to start a race on an "HQ" (high definition) track.

I followed the 16th anniversary installation instructions to the tee.
I do NOT currently have a "process manager" installed (Bill's Process manager or any other one). Is a process manager really necessary? Would having this prevent these crashes?

I have also gone through the all of the steps -several times very thoroughly- using the GTR2_SETUP.CMD

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why my game crashes perhaps only when I attempt to race the HQ tracks?

Possibly a memory issue, especially when you have a full field of HQ vehicles on an HQ track. Does the track crash during testing (with just you on track)? Check the GTR2 trace file to see if it notes anything, also check windows event log.

Try reducing some vid driver settings, such as FSAA, and see if that makes a difference.

A process manager will not usually help a CTD situation, they provide smoother performance by preventing background processes from popping on and off as they please (I used Process Lasso for many years, til they added "features" I didn't like, and it noticeably reduced stutters in many games, particularly FlightSim).

Hi,
Sounds like a memory issue to me too.
Try using Bills process manager or process lasso.

Not sure what OS your on, but also run all GTR2 exe files as an administrator.

Then run the 4Gig patch on All exe files

Memory issue for me too if you're choosing a high number of cars especially recently modded ones ( this often means high poly models conversions ).
High poly + 2048*2048 dds + HQ Track .... surely something like +- 25 cars at max on track possible for avoiding such crashes.
An instant crash is mostly the reason for such memory problems.

NB: no need of adding 4GB Patch as it is already installed with 16th anniversary Patch

Last edited:
Memory issue for me too if you're choosing a high number of cars especially recently modded ones ( this often means high poly models conversions ).
High poly + 2048*2048 dds + HQ Track .... surely something like +- 25 cars at max on track possible for avoiding such crashes.
An instant crash is mostly the reason for such memory problems.

NB: no need of adding 4GB Patch as it is already installed with 16th anniversary Patch
Jempy, this is significantly improved in CCGEP, just check the manual ;) Here's a small demo:
Enabling both memory use fixes essentially makes this problem a thing of a past. You can still crash (reach 32bit memory address space limits), but at that point game is impractically slow (unplayable) already. One more little known thing - make sure pit crew is set to Player only, it is hugely inefficient in GTR2 unfortunately (eats a gig of memory in some cases).

That said I am a bit surprised to read this thread, I did not notice early crashes with HQ tracks+cars. As Jempy said, cars ported from modern games is another story. Without the above fixes I was getting crashes with grids as low as 30 cars, but not anymore :D

Last edited:
Thanks @The Iron Wolf
I already knew for Pit Crew .... and didn't remember for memory optimization though already activated.
IIRC I still get some kind of crash at the end of a longer race with many many cars ..... and I guess that it's the time for GTR2 to save the replay.
I'm sometimes viewing the replay for the best lap but never for a whole race in this case so that I don't know if the replay is really saved or not.

Thanks @The Iron Wolf
I already knew for Pit Crew .... and didn't remember for memory optimization though already activated.
IIRC I still get some kind of crash at the end of a longer race with many many cars ..... and I guess that it's the time for GTR2 to save the replay.
I'm sometimes viewing the replay for the best lap but never for a whole race in this case so that I don't know if the replay is really saved or not.
did you activate both parts of the fix? It is more than just the .ini setting, there's additional configuration needed. And replays of course will increase memory pressure - I never use them.

Last edited:
If you mean the fix with DXVK .... this DXVK is not installed yet at all.
I'm much too busy for the moment since half december 2022 to take the time to play with it and don't wish to have to lose time now in case of problem.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 4 6.8%