AC GT3 @ Okayama - Sun 20 Jan 2019

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
That was fun. I had some contact which spun me early and then it was a recovery drive where I found myself over driving and eating up tires so I decided to pit early and just run a mellow pace to the end knowing others were fighting and would either eat up tires or make mistakes.

Ended up 7th with Jay on my tail and Tariq ahead but I was happy overall that I didn’t keep forcing the issue and make matters worse. 2nd finishing 650 so I’ll take that.

Sorry to hear your race wasn't the best it could have been @Craig Dunkley, though as always, huge, HUGE thanks yet again - easy to say that each time, but your commitment & effort is amazing and greatly appreciated by us all - and certainly gives me something to look forward to every week :thumbsup::)

Had great fun in the race, getting round the outside of Dan at the end-of-straight-hairpin in the early laps..... until @Dragos Haba started reeling me in relentlessly, most uncomfortable young fella!:p Yet another event when I should have used softs twice, or made the mediums last the full race - they were like brand new at the end:(

Congrats to the podium guys, always great to watch and pick up pointers, and amazing strategy @Dan Costa , most disappointed to see you in front at the end!:p:p:D

John

@Graham Wilgaus I enjoyed chasing you. It must have been almost half the race until I got to the pits.

I really enjoy racing with you guys, I am always trying to tame my porsche 911 and learn by you at the same time.

If any of the 911 guys yesterday felt there was a setup worth sharing and doesn't mind of course, it would be really appreciated. I run with red rear temps all my race and couldn't figure out the solution.

Thanks again for hosting the event :)

@Craig Dunkley those are a lot of poos in there! I was wondering were most all mine went :D
Can't be easy being staff while racing, so, much respect on my part as always.

@Medilloni thanks :)
Yeah full tank + hard tyres allows for fun battles at the start like you and @Dragos Haba could see. But it doesn't really work in a real race. The fights costed me ~6 seconds, specially with Dragos. After doing my Pit Stop at the end, I was 0.8s behind 3rd instead of 5 seconds ahead :poop: It was also when I found out that following cars in this track is tricky and I lost the car + another 8 seconds when battling him for 3rd :poop:

I was a bit pissed that at the end I was only 13s behind the winner despite all.
But that is just racing and everyone is under the same boat. Looking forward to the next one!
So, two poos for me @Craig Dunkley ! you won this one :laugh:

That was a seriously tough circuit, i felt shattered after that which usually i dont! Was happy with my 5th qualiy, managed to get that lap on my last run but need to make less mistakes and stay focused.....think i started thinking about food lol.

@Celtic Pharaoh no problem mate, its a tight circuit and you, @xiqui and myself were side buy side in some of the tightest corners, was great fun. I think @marek2209 was in there too!

Didn't manage to get passed @RobertR1 this time, but great fun again!

I think both @RobertR1 and @Celtic Pharaoh passed me in the pit stop phase.

Unlucky @Craig Dunkley - great circuit choice though.

I've reached like my limits now, need to spend abit more time tuning and getting faster.

I've reached like my limits now, need to spend abit more time tuning and getting faster.

I don't know how other gt3's are, but in the SCG my setup for this track does not work as a baseline in other tracks. And using the setup from other tracks as a baseline for okayama , you are tricked into thinking you reached the limit, while in reality In my case there was a full second to be won by just being aggressive with car heights softness and arbs. I was running so low and soft that the SCG loses the rear end instantly in normal tracks, but in okayama, it sticks!

You guys are so fast! I was struggling again but I think mainly with setup. But definitely over driving the car too.

I was having major frame rate issues too which didnt help and many times a frame drop coincided with a spin!

Couple of questions:
1. How do you guys all see each others name in the race?
2. Is there a way to move the seat back? I feel like im right up against window and cant move back as headrest blocks view.

In terms of setup I dropped the gearing in the 650 through all gears to get through them quicker and raised the rear wing one click. And psi 17 all round. I would be very interseted in what others 650s did to their setup, and why.

Id love if someone would share a 650 setup and their quali lap time so I could see if I can get close!

I think i held someone up for a few seconds and apologise but I didnt see you and would have moved instantly if I did. I was trying to spot the pit which I missed!!!

Was referring to my limits @Dan Costa. I used my DP setup which is a modified version of my SPA setup. I'm not great at setting up a car, there is always more time in it, but I need to work on setup and driving. Is there a setup guide anywhere? Or is it just experience that lets you dive in and setup a car quickly. I don't get alot of time on AC so haven't really setup many cars at all.

Was referring to my limits @Dan Costa. I used my DP setup which is a modified version of my SPA setup. I'm not great at setting up a car, there is always more time in it, but I need to work on setup and driving. Is there a setup guide anywhere? Or is it just experience that lets you dive in and setup a car quickly. I don't get alot of time on AC so haven't really setup many cars at all.
Hiya Jay, someone sent me this (attached) a while ago, have used it ever since as a guide. Hope it helps, though I'm sure there's better info out there!

Attachments

• RD-Setup-Guide-1.0.pdf
    895.2 KB · Views: 157
I'm no expert but things that help are:
- PRO TYRES app and tweak your psi. Your psi will vary during the lap, so tweak the psi to be between +0 and +1 in the part of the track where you gain the most time by having better grip.

- CamberExtravaganza app to find the best camber and tweak it like the psi, to the part of the track where a correct camber gains you the most time.

- If the track has long straights like Paul Ricard, do top speed runs with different wing settings. It comes a point where it doesn't pay off to decrease the wing any more. Qualy and races have different tactics for the wing.

As for learning how to setup any car (tricks and exploits for games not included), before that you need to dispel some trajectories myths by reading this: https://www.paradigmshiftracing.com/racing-basics/the-racing-line-four-elements-of-a-perfect-corner

As for setups, you need to understand load transfers first by reading this: https://www.paradigmshiftracing.com/racing-basics/load-transfer-science-for-racers and watch this:

To learn how to setup a car according to what you learned above, this is great start: https://www.paradigmshiftracing.com/racing-basics/step-by-step-race-car-setup-guide and https://edoc.site/queue/2advancedsetupguidev1-pdf-free.html

edit: and of course, the RD setup guide @Medilloni just posted :D

You guys are so fast! I was struggling again but I think mainly with setup. But definitely over driving the car too.

Yes there are some very fast drivers here, you could race somewhere where the competition is slower, or stay here and learn from the faster drivers and become one off them. I struggle to finish in the top ten, but still I have a lot of fun :thumbsup:

Couple of questions:
2. Is there a way to move the seat back? I feel like im right up against window and cant move back as headrest blocks view.

CTRL+L - To display names

In game - move mouse to right hand side of your screen, options will become visible - select the one with a picture of head/helmet ..the will allow you to change your seat position in every way.

In terms of setup I dropped the gearing in the 650 through all gears to get through them quicker and raised the rear wing one click. And psi 17 all round. I would be very interseted in what others 650s did to their setup, and why.

I never run with rear wing higher than a 4, mostly 3 and only sometimes run a front downforce, so typical settings would be 3 and 0 (for 90% of the tracks) Gears..I would ensure that it tops out along the longest straight, then I would mess around with rest of the gears to suit the track. The 650 is fast, but will bite you very hard with little warning, which will result mostly in you going of the black stuff ....I am from from any expert, but I do know, the art of setting a car up involves a lot of reading and a lot lot lot of experimental options ...there is no easy way....(90%) of the default setups will get you an easy top ten result if you have the skill.So if you are not running in the top ten yet? then it is your skill level and not the setup. Of course you would need to adjust tire pressures but that is it.

Last edited:
1. As Craig said, and I also use the "live timing" app which shows drivers in front and behind

2. If you wanna go further back than the headrest then your fov setting it too low. You can't combine a very low fov to be "realistic" but then move the seat further back than it would be realistic.
That's why I don't like nor use "realistic fov" since it's not realistic either to sit in a real car and lock your view to a 27" screen in the front window. Imo our human brains are quite good at looking at a photo (projection) of something and imagine the real sizes.

Long story short, a fov of about 44-55 will be pretty similar to standard camera photos. Reasonable compromise between distorted proportions and getting the important things in the picture.

Another approach: "reset" the seating position to default and then adjust the fov until it "looks good and realistic" for you. Your brain and eyes will feel well then :)

Thanks @Medilloni

Thanks @Dan Costa - The only App i use is Pro Tyres so will check out the others for sure. i will work a setup for the next race and maybe try a different car. I have basic understanding but my track/race cars were always setup by a tuner, I just drive them lol.

Yes there are some very fast drivers here, you could race somewhere where the competition is slower, or stay here and learn from the faster drivers and become one off them. I struggle to finish in the top ten, but I have a lot of fun :thumbsup:

Yeah I still have lost of fun (despite the embarrassment) and really want to be able to compete, but only if Im not interfering with other peoples racing in the process.

And thanks all for all the super information above which will surely help.

Thanks @Medilloni

Thanks @Dan Costa - The only App i use is Pro Tyres so will check out the others for sure. i will work a setup for the next race and maybe try a different car. I have basic understanding but my track/race cars were always setup by a tuner, I just drive them lol.
You race in real life? man, I should be asking tips from you, not giving them :D

Yeah I still have lost of fun (despite the embarrassment) and really want to be able to compete, but only if Im not interfering with other peoples racing in the process.

And thanks all for all the super information above which will surely help.

Well I have kinda excepted that I will never be able to do much better, because of my disability and age, but it sure is a lot of fun in trying and I just love sim racing in general.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.3%
  • Trophies

Votes: 25 11.8%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.6%