GT Style Rim

What are some of the "more inexpensive" options for a GT style wheel to fit on my CSW2.5? I have the Fanatec universal hub so a simple bare GT style rim would be acceptable however, I would like controls integrated into the wheel itself. Id like to pull the entire hub+wheel off and swap it with GT instead of unscrewing/screwing back in 6 bolts.

Inexpensive is subjective, I know. Just, what is there I guess?

That's a good question.

Cheapest that's plug and play:
Motamec Formula D Shaped Wheel ($70 USD) + PenguinRC SimuSERIES GT with USB box and the cheapest shifters $279 = $350 shipped.

Cheapest that you can just build yourself:
Motamec Formula D Shaped Wheel ($70 USD) + DIY 3d printed button box (search Thingiverse, but there's some higher quality ones by Turn Racing), maybe $100 with materials/electronics. For the USB board you can use a Leo Bodnar BBI-32 if you don't feel comfortable wiring up a PCB yourself. If you want nicer shifters, you can use the Ascher Racing bolt pattern and pick up Ascher magnetic shifters.

Cost effective but medium/higher than the others quality and components:
SRC GT1 (Probably around $400 shipped) by Sim Racing Coach. Includes a GT style D shaped wheel. compared to the PenguinRC button boxes, it has rotary encoders and knitter switches (more tactile click buttons).

Be aware that if you get a 3D printer, you can build some pretty good quality button boxes and choose how high quality you want the components to get. They have Thingiverse files for Porsche 911 GT3 replica wheel plates, other more universal versions. You can even 3d print your own magnetic paddle shifters. I have some on my custom button plate and they're quite decent for the cost.

My recommendation if you want it easy and not expensive - SRC GT1.

Upvote 0
That's a good question.

Cheapest that's plug and play:
Motamec Formula D Shaped Wheel ($70 USD) + PenguinRC SimuSERIES GT with USB box and the cheapest shifters $279 = $350 shipped.

Cheapest that you can just build yourself:
Motamec Formula D Shaped Wheel ($70 USD) + DIY 3d printed button box (search Thingiverse, but there's some higher quality ones by Turn Racing), maybe $100 with materials/electronics. For the USB board you can use a Leo Bodnar BBI-32 if you don't feel comfortable wiring up a PCB yourself. If you want nicer shifters, you can use the Ascher Racing bolt pattern and pick up Ascher magnetic shifters.

Cost effective but medium/higher than the others quality and components:
SRC GT1 (Probably around $400 shipped) by Sim Racing Coach. Includes a GT style D shaped wheel. compared to the PenguinRC button boxes, it has rotary encoders and knitter switches (more tactile click buttons).

Be aware that if you get a 3D printer, you can build some pretty good quality button boxes and choose how high quality you want the components to get. They have Thingiverse files for Porsche 911 GT3 replica wheel plates, other more universal versions. You can even 3d print your own magnetic paddle shifters. I have some on my custom button plate and they're quite decent for the cost.

My recommendation if you want it easy and not expensive - SRC GT1.
I am trying to decide between the SRC GT1 vs GT1 pro. Any recommendations? Given the price difference between those two is about 140 euro, is the GT1 Pro worth it over the GT1?

Upvote 0
I am trying to decide between the SRC GT1 vs GT1 pro. Any recommendations? Given the price difference between those two is about 140 euro, is the GT1 Pro worth it over the GT1?

I can't really make a decision like that for you.
Based on their specs, it appears as though they use exactly the same materials and switch types, Leo Bodnar quality knitter and CTS288V rotary encoders. The only difference is the Pro includes the SLI Pro rev light and speed LED board which is actually around 100 euro by itself.

Do you race in VR? I race in VR so I don't quite care for on wheel rev indicators.

Upvote 0
I can't really make a decision like that for you.
Based on their specs, it appears as though they use exactly the same materials and switch types, Leo Bodnar quality knitter and CTS288V rotary encoders. The only difference is the Pro includes the SLI Pro rev light and speed LED board which is actually around 100 euro by itself.

Do you race in VR? I race in VR so I don't quite care for on wheel rev indicators.
I don't race in VR. Right now I have the McLaren GT3 wheel ( which I use for F1 style races). The McLaren only has a small display, not rev light/speed leds. Deciding on the SRC for gt style races. I wonder for non VR users, how much the display adds to the experience/real usefulness. I see some use a separate display as well. Given the display is on the monitor all the time, is it useful to have it on the wheel/separate dash?

Upvote 1

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea