Grip level is completely unrealistic

adamb

Premium
AMS had been my third choice sim, mostly because lack of content. It was very tempting to me because of stable performance, excellent AI and an enjoyable driving feel.

However, I'm starting to realise that when compared to other sims, the enjoyable driving feel is in fact very unrealistic. Driving relatively low torque cars (Stock Car Brasil, Montana) I can hear the tires screeching *constantly*. Every single corner is like driving on ice. FFB is not communicating grip levels well enough so mid corner spins are coming from nowhere. This makes it enjoyable because you are fighting the track all the time and driving inputs are crucial but I highly doubt that it's anywhere near realistic. Any car in Raceroom is a walk in the park compared to any car in AMS.

Last edited:
I haven't tried Raceroom, so I cannot comment on that. However, the stock content in AMS, although ok, is nothing compared to a few mods I know of.

The MX5 in the Ventura MMM Series is one of my favorites and feels like some real cars I have driven. I have never tried any real racing cars.
My other favorite is the Grand Touring Group 5 Mod, which has the best tire physics I have driven.

Agree with Speednut, Mods are better than stock content in a lot of cases. Try the Ventura Mod he mentions or the MX-5 Mod from Rebellion on which it's based. Much better lateral grip simulation (you can actually 4-wheel drift corners without the snap-grip-loss you see in the original content). I also recommend the EEC GT3 or Endurance Series Mods and of course Giranthon's CART Mod (though it's a real beast).
I've started to play with Rebellions Cayman Cup Mod and I think it has some potential for real fun too. More performance than the Miatas but with the same realistic (in my opinion) lateral grip and suspension response while cornering.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.