Gran Turismo 7 wins "Best Sports / Racing" Game Awards

The 2022 Game Awards, hosted in Los Angeles just came to a closure, and only one racing game took an award this year: Polyphony Digital won the award for the "Best Sports / Racing" category, with the only other competitor from the genre among the nominees being F1 22.

The other nominees were FIFA 23, NBA 2K23 and a skate game from a smaller studio, OlliOlli World. Although GT7's win might come as a surprise considering the chaotic launch and the ongoing issues it's still facing, the category felt pretty empty, especially as it was among the ones treated as secondary: the show just quickly glanced over a few categories at once without inviting the winners on stage for the classic "thank you" speech. You will have to do with a simple tweet from Kazunori Yamauchi instead.

Gran Turismo was also nominated for "Best Audi Design", a field in which Polyphony Digital always puts a lot of effort, but ultimately lost that to God of War Ragnarök.

Attachments

• RACING-Gran-Turismo-7.jpg
    RACING-Gran-Turismo-7.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 57
Best Audio design!
While I support a case that the cars don't still sound like generic sewing machines now, I feel that the GT series still has a long way to go, years ago I played 'Toca' and some of the sounds of Radical cars (IIRC) were echoing down the back straight at Donington were chilling, that put me right there in the pit lane.
In real life the Marcos GT1 would thunder past and shake the ground and the grandstands, yet the difference in GT7 between the Hurrican V10 and the Viper V10 is almost non existent, whereas in RL the Viper is a little deeper and more 'woolly' than the more 'staccato' sound of the Lambo, many times I had to ask my lad what he was driving because it simply does not ring the right bells there.
I think that sound goes a lot further than just music and tyre squeal, and some thought has to be given to 'twisting' the truth to present the more dramatic perceived reality,
Lighting in games has always been at the sharp end of truth bending in games, you know, where we get 'lens flare' in Skyrim, totally daft I know, but apparently fans love that because it does what a camera does that the human eye doesn't. and the same avenue of thought could be taken for sound... But importantly, not overdone.

And while we're on the case of sound, why is there no voice acting for the 'help' instead of a picture of some random guy with a generic "take a deep breath" message,
Really guys that's not helpful, tell me that I need to carry less speed into the first part of the corner, or use a higher gear, or open the steering a little at the apex and use the outer curb, Tell me something useful!

So GT7 winning is good, but that to me at least says much more needs to be done by the competition because I wasn't blown away by the GT7 Audio.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back