Goodbye Ferrari

how many time did he have to let Alonso pass and there for miss the podium?

Maybe two times this season? For the most part of it he has been miles behind Alonso, which is the main reason why later he was asked to let him pass. I mean, you don't really expect that the team will not ask you to let pass you title contending mate after you have been dragging your ass across half the season and are barely in the top 10.

Personally really do not understand why Heikki Kovalainen is still stuck at Caterham.

He is doing very good (it seems), but when you think about his mclaren period... Hamilton swept the floor with him as much as Alonso is doing with Massa. It's not a good presentation card.

People dont seem to understand it's only for ONE year.
I'll let you do the rest of the math.

Key word: Placeholder.

Yes, but meanwhile it could be another year with Ferrari not taking extra points from rivals. If Massa would have performed at least as Button has this year the championship would look much better for Ferrari. It he is just a placeholder I can think of a dozen young drivers probably as fast and way cheaper.

Massa, much like Button, is not a bad driver. F1, for as long as I can remember, has always had it's faster, naturally gifted set of guys. Unfortunately having a teammate like Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen, etc... always seems to raise people's expectations too high for the other driver and overshadow their achievements.

Yes, but meanwhile it could be another year with Ferrari not taking extra points from rivals. If Massa would have performed at least as Button has this year the championship would look much better for Ferrari. It he is just a placeholder I can think of a dozen young drivers probably as fast and way cheaper.
That´s a much bigger risk. Getting a new guy just for one year, he will barely have time to get to know everything until he has to leave again.

The safest bet is retaining Massa for one more year. It´s the smartest thing to do.

P.S. in Qualifying he´s done a better job performance wise compared to his teammate then Button have.
I´m sure if he keeps this up he will close down on Button before the end of the year.

That´s a much bigger risk. Getting a new guy just for one year, he will barely have time to get to know everything until he has to leave again.

The safest bet is retaining Massa for one more year. It´s the smartest thing to do.

P.S. in Qualifying he´s done a better job performance wise compared to his teammate then Button have.
I´m sure if he keeps this up he will close down on Button before the end of the year.

This season, after 8 races, Alonso was leading the championship, with 111 points, and 4 podiums with 2 wins.

Massa had scored 11 points, behind the likes of Kobayashi, Perez, DiResta, and paydrivers Maldonado and Bruno Senna.

Retaining Massa over 3 races whilst ignoring 2 seasons of underperformance of the century, is just a further insult to the intelligence of fans. Elsewhere, a 7 times world champion gets sacked for a much better performance vs his teammate...

This season, after 8 races, Alonso was leading the championship, with 111 points, and 4 podiums with 2 wins.

Massa had scored 11 points, behind the likes of Kobayashi, Perez, DiResta, and paydrivers Maldonado and Bruno Senna.

Retaining Massa over 3 races whilst ignoring 2 seasons of underperformance of the century, is just a further insult to the intelligence of fans. Elsewhere, a 7 times world champion gets sacked for a much better performance vs his teammate...
It's not at simple as just sacking a 7 times world champion.

There will be more information about letting Schumacher go, than we're privy to. They would have considered many things. Schumacher is god-like in Germany, so they wouldn't have taken that decision lightly.

I for one don't think that Michael performed very well over the last few seasons. Not sure of the reasons but I think it was right for him to hang up the driving gloves.

Ferrari needed someone for a year which is why Webber was the focus of attention for a while. Even Button was. Clearly Ferrari have plans for 2014. Plans about which we can only speculate.

Maybe they can see something in Massa that we can't. Maybe they've had a consultation with Mystic Meg.

At the first half of the season I would have said nothing against kicking Felipe out (and I really like him. He is one of the nicest person in F1) at the end of this year, but due to missing alternatives and because Massa got much better I fully agree.
But what I really like is the amount of trust Ferrai puts in Felipe. No one would have blamed them for kicking Felipe out even earlier, but they always sticked with him and helped him through all of his problems.
Montezemolo tried to put him under a bit pressure in the media during summer break (or earlier?) but there was nothing mean or unfair he said.
It is true that he is clearly No. 2 but he knows why. If Fernando has a bad year (which never really happend, but if^^) and Felipe would be in a championchip winning position it would be vice versa just like 2007&08.

Felipe staying another year I reckon is the best idea. Can't think of anyone who seems happy enough to do a job as a #2 at Ferrari. Alonso will be top dog for as long as he's there. How many of the newer up and coming guys really want to play second fiddle to anyone as well? Massa hasn't performed to Ferrari standards since 2008, but he fits perfectly at Ferrari. I don't see him staying past the end of next year though.

Massa is the bomb and anyone who criticise's him should be ashamed of themselves, because I don't see any of you criticising people driving an F1 car for Ferrari, or being involved in Formula 1? So if you think your better or someone else is, then why don't you go to Stefano Domencali and tell him who should take his seat.

The #1 #2 speech at Ferrari makes no sense.

If Massa wanted to be #1, he just had to outperform Alonso in points in any first third of season, but instead of that he was already without title chances all this years.

Still I like Massa and I'm happy to renew.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.