Game slows down after ~30 minutes of play

Gevatter

The James May of Simracing
Premium
I tested a few of the WTCR18 pack this morning, and Raceroom slowed down to a crawl after about 30 minutes of play, around 4-5 FPS. It ran absolutely great before, and did so again after I restarted Raceroom, but it happened again after another 30 minutes.

I was on the test track test driving first the Giulietta TCR and on the second try the VW Golf and the Cupra. I was not yet able to test it after validating my files via Steam, and I don't know if it also happens on cars I already own. I also can't remember this happening before.

Has anybody had a similar issue before? I have an I7-6700K, GTX980, 16GB RAM and use triple screens.

Using Windows 10 and running MSI Afterburner by any chance?
Sounds familar :)
I tested a few of the WTCR18 pack this morning, and Raceroom slowed down to a crawl after about 30 minutes of play, around 4-5 FPS. It ran absolutely great before, and did so again after I restarted Raceroom, but it happened again after another 30 minutes.
I was on the test track test driving first the Giulietta TCR and on the second try the VW Golf and the Cupra. I was not yet able to test it after validating my files via Steam, and I don't know if it also happens on cars I already own. I also can't remember this happening before.

Has anybody had a similar issue before? I have an I7-6700K, GTX980, 16GB RAM and use triple screens.
Yeah, check the R3E forum, there’s a discussion on a similarly recurring issue. Some guesses include having Afterburner running with the game, but nothing definite yet. Logs have been submitted to devs too, though nothing confirmed yet.

Some guesses include having Afterburner running with the game, but nothing definite yet.
Well, some cases, rather than guesses. There's obviously multiple issues discussed in that thread, and the one me and some others are suffering are very clearly caused by the combination of using Afterburner, running the 64bit version of the game and not having fullscreen optimizations for the game exe disabled.

But seems like that's not the case for OP.

Though he might still try to run the 32bit version instead and/or disable the fullscreen optimizations to see if anything changes, I guess.

Well, some cases, rather than guesses. There's obviously multiple issues discussed in that thread, and the one me and some others are suffering are very clearly caused by the combination of using Afterburner, running the 64bit version of the game and not having fullscreen optimizations for the game exe disabled.

But seems like that's not the case for OP.

Though he might still try to run the 32bit version instead and/or disable the fullscreen optimizations to see if anything changes, I guess.
Yes, could be, as I also thought MSI AB was interfering. But I always run AB, and sometimes the issue doesn't happen (I only run 64-bit, and have disabled fullscreen optimizations), so for me it's still speculation. OTOH, I've also had it happen when I tried running w/o AB. I've tried some Win optimizations and so far haven't had it happen yet, w/ AB running.

Anyway, having different logs, hope the devs suggest some things to try out.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 387850

I encountered this issue for the first time this weekend having been using Raceroom for a year flawlessly. I bought myself a new G-Sync monitor and have been using the recommended method of G-Sync ON + V-Sync ON + External FPS limiter, with RTSS as my frame limiter. I did not have MSI Afterburner running, only RTSS, and with the 64bit .exe I repeatedly found my framerate dropping to single figures after anything over 10 minutes. I thought it was maybe related to the OSD, so I switched off all RTSS OSD functionality but still ran into the same issue. I then tried @Martin Fiala suggestion of 32bit .exe with fullscreen optimizations disabled and it worked no problem. Thanks Martin!

Anyway, to me it seems the issue is with running RTSS and not Afterburner, but of course Afterburner starts and keeps RTSS running. Martin, do you know if there has been any word over on the Sector3 forum about this? I know you're fairly active over there so thought you might be the best person to ask :)

@suspectmonkey No word as far as I know. I'm personally using the 32bit .exe nowadays. And yeah, you have to completely shut down Afterburner (RTSS) if you want to avoid the issue, and even then it seems it sometimes pops up anyway. Disabling OSD or tweaking the RTSS config doesn't help, I've tried everything there was to try.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.