Game Performance

I tested out my 3080 on ACC last night at 1440p. What is it with this game? I struggled to get any better than 75fps stable (looking at average fps, 1% lows was lower around 60-65fps). I was having to turn down settings making it look a bit rough in places.

Doesn't seem to matter what you have, it won't achieve high frame rates. Is this other peoples experience?

I have done a race at Imola with 24 GT3 AIs. From cockpit view, during rolling start, lowest was 88fps, then during the race it goes from lowest 98fps to highest 137fps.
I have a i7 9700k, 16GB ram and a 2080ti.
I play on 3440x1440 resolution with almost everything on Epic and foliage on high. Few other modification like motion blur off and volumetric fog off.

I don't think there is an issue with the game as suggested.

edit : to check that results are constant, second test, same Imola track, same number of AI. I'm starting in the middle of the pack, 15th
lowest during rolling start : 85fps
lowest during race : 92fps
highest during race : 134fps

Last edited:
Hi,

When you say lowest, do you mean 1% lows using something like MSI Afterburner to log statistics?

I can get my PC to show frame rate around the regions you mention but it's the 1% lows and frame pacing that seem so erratic.

I might try setting my monitor to 75Hz and enabling vsync. This might smooth things out.

I tested out my 3080 on ACC last night at 1440p. What is it with this game? I struggled to get any better than 75fps stable (looking at average fps, 1% lows was lower around 60-65fps). I was having to turn down settings making it look a bit rough in places.

Doesn't seem to matter what you have, it won't achieve high frame rates. Is this other peoples experience?
It's very CPU-bound. What CPU do you have? I went from a 1080 to 2080 (50%-70% improvement in other games/Timespy) and barely got 5 frames extra. The upside was that I was able to increase a lot of the graphics settings with very little performance loss.

It's very CPU-bound. What CPU do you have? I went from a 1080 to 2080 (50%-70% improvement in other games/Timespy) and barely got 5 frames extra. The upside was that I was able to increase a lot of the graphics settings with very little performance loss.

When the game first released I had a weird experience because of CPU. I had i3 CPU and mid range GPU. I was getting 100 fps but couldn't play the game. The CPU couldn't send enough frames tp GPU that, GPU was drawing same frame 100 times. I had to upgrade my CPU because of that. I haven't experienced sth like that on any other game before.

Even after upgrading CPU, than GPU for this game, I gave up to try High quality mode because of stuttering and reduced to Mid quality to be able to play fluid.

When the game first released I had a weird experience because of CPU. I had i3 CPU and mid range GPU. I was getting 100 fps but couldn't play the game. The CPU couldn't send enough frames tp GPU that, GPU was drawing same frame 100 times. I had to upgrade my CPU because of that. I haven't experienced sth like that on any other game before.

Even after upgrading CPU, than GPU for this game, I gave up to try High quality mode because of stuttering and reduced to Mid quality to be able to play fluid.

FWIW, I've had similar stuttering and tearing problems, and followed some suggestions. One was to set vsync in-game and setting monitor refresh rate in Riva Tuner, which works for me (though I haven't tested extensively). Your mileage may vary depending on your HW.

Last edited:
I haven't checked my CPU usage during my testing so I don't know if it is maxing out one or multiple cores.

I have noticed that I can increase various graphics quality without much FPS loss.

Even if I set to 1080p at low detail the framerate doesn't increase much. Is it just CPU bottleneck or are there other limiting factors eg. memory speed or game engine clock?

I think I might try the Nvidia DSR method to fool the game I can run at x2 resolution and then the GPU down samples it to 1440p for my monitor. I think the game can do this as well by setting the render percentage (in this example I would have to set 200% I think).

I think it generally looks better at a higher resolution more than anything else.

I also had the other weird thing it does yesterday where the cars in front look like they are hovering off the ground. What's that about? Is there a configuration that eliminates this?

I think I quit the race and started a new race and it looked OK. Can't be sure what I changed. I think it was shadow detail.

Last edited:
I also had the other weird thing it does yesterday where the cars in front look like they are hovering off the ground. What's that about? Is there a configuration that eliminates this?

I think I quite the race and started a new race and it looked OK. Can't be sure what I changed. I think it was shadow detail.
I think even in epic shadow mode it can happen at times. At least people reported it numerous times.
Not sure if there is a cure.

• Deleted member 197115

Spent a bit more time back with ACC last night. Started to enjoy and appreciate it again. Ruined my SA rating!

I found the replay feature really handy for testing changes to graphics settings because you can repeat the exact sequence each time to compare.

I think I've settled on the settings I like. I've gone for getting the best looking and keeping the frame rate mid 60's fps. I think the resolution is DSR at 2036p or 4k (I have a 1440p monitor) with a good amount of AA and epic post process. I tried materials at epic but took too much of a hit so turned down to high (not much difference).

My conclusion is I think the game seems tailored to run at these sort of fps's. Not super high framerate gaming like others. I just don't think you can get the game engine to run that fast for some reason even on low settings. I prefer it to look a whole lot better rather than try to get 20 more fps and end up with it looking rough.

Any more tips for getting good frame rate & quality is appreciated.

Andrew, where do you set the ambient occlusion?

You still haven't told us what CPU you have.

But you're unlikely to get any significantly better performance in ACC by tweaking graphics options. Not with 3080, anyway. As you said yourself, the performance didn't get better for you even in 1080p, which should tell you very clearly GPU is not the factor here.

One thing that kills performance a lot in ACC is the number of AI cars, BTW.

Spent a bit more time back with ACC last night. Started to enjoy and appreciate it again. Ruined my SA rating!

I found the replay feature really handy for testing changes to graphics settings because you can repeat the exact sequence each time to compare.

I think I've settled on the settings I like. I've gone for getting the best looking and keeping the frame rate mid 60's fps. I think the resolution is DSR at 2036p or 4k (I have a 1440p monitor) with a good amount of AA and epic post process. I tried materials at epic but took too much of a hit so turned down to high (not much difference).

My conclusion is I think the game seems tailored to run at these sort of fps's. Not super high framerate gaming like others. I just don't think you can get the game engine to run that fast for some reason even on low settings. I prefer it to look a whole lot better rather than try to get 20 more fps and end up with it looking rough.

Any more tips for getting good frame rate & quality is appreciated.

Andrew, where do you set the ambient occlusion?

Install Msi Afterburner and adjust the parameters to show CPU, GPU usage and system and GPU memory.

If your;
CPU reachs 100%, your CPU is limiting. Upgrade CPU or decrease opponent number
GPU reachs 100% no more FPS possible. Reduce graphics settings
System RAM or GPU memory reaches limit, again performance gets limited.

CPU reachs 100%, your CPU is limiting.
Not really. I mean sure, *if* your CPU usage gets close to 100%, you are certainly CPU limited. But it doesn't mean you're not if it doesn't (and it's less and less likely to ever happen in gaming as CPUs get more cores/threads, but the games can't use a lot of threads and still mostly depend on 1-2 threads for their performance). Depending on the number of cores/threads your CPU has, you can be completely CPU limited while CPU usage is much, much lower. On my 12 thread CPU, you can be completely CPU limited with CPU usage around 8%. On a 32 thread Threadripper, you could be completely CPU limited with CPU usage around 3% - because if your application/game is single-threaded (or close to it), then once that single thread runs out of the CPU power available to it, it just can't get any more, even though the CPU might still have plenty left.

And it's frequently useless to even look at CPU usage for individual cores, because application threads tend to be "juggled around" very quickly over multiple cores and the end result of that is that you will frequently see CPU cores seemingly just chilling with no extreme usage on either, and yet the application thread will still be using all the CPU power it can get, you just won't see it manifesting on the individual CPU core usage.

So basically just ignore CPU usage for the most part, it's a fairly useless metric nowadays. Just focus on GPU usage, that one is accurate (for now). If you see numbers very close to 99%, your GPU is struggling. If you're lower, you can fairly reliably assume your CPU is the problem.

(And, again, given that he didn't see an improvement even at 1080p with a freaking 3080, the GPU is unlikely to be the issue.)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.